Katie’s room

March 15th, 2016

Last night and this morning, we put the finishing touches on one of the new rooms.  Katie’s room was the simplest to put together.  [It may be Josie’s room you are really hoping to see, but since that may have a long wait for a very busy builder, Daddy, and older brother to finish up details, I thought you might enjoy having a glimpse of Katie’s new room in the meantime?]

Most of the photos were taken on a sunny day before the tree decal was on the walls.  The last three were taken this morning after the older girls and I hung the leaves on the tree.  So you won’t see the tree in some of the shots.  The area rug was the only item we bought new for this room; everything else was handmade, gifted, or thrifted.

What I hope you see in these photos is the tremendous joy and pleasure it gave me to design Katie’s space.  May love always radiate back to those who enter it.

Walking into her room from the master bedroom, you immediately spot the cozy reading nook on the left.

IMAG0727

Having her potty in her room rather than the bathroom spells relief to the household logistics.

IMG_7435

This teddy bear belonged to Joe’s father when he was a little boy.

IMG_7445

The brown crib is for Nathaniel until he’s able to sleep in a bed in the boys’ room.  The prints on the wall are color plates from one of our Thornton Burgess books, illustrated by Harrison Cady.

IMG_7447

Here’s Nathaniel, discovering some little forest friends.

IMG_7456

IMG_7458

One more of baby for good measure, this one taken a month ago.  Baby of happiness, you bring such incredible joy to so many people.

IMG_7363

For Katie’s fourteenth birthday next week, we plan to set up a nice bird feeder right there on that hill in front of her, to lure the cardinals, house finches and wrens, goldfinches, bluebirds and blue jays and many other local species of birds out of the meadow and woods to this sunny hillside where she can watch them.

IMG_7436

This stuffed fawn was Katie’s Christmas gift from Joseph and Lindsay and fits perfectly in this room.  The birdhouse was one I bought from a Hidden Treasures auction.  That darling little box used to be in Grandma Sally’s collection.

IMG_7446

Katie’s little white bed and the pocket door leading into the master bedroom.

IMG_7437

We reused all the items we possibly could; this roomy shelf was built by Joe and used to sit on the back of my desk in our old bedroom.

IMG_7443

I don’t remember which blog reader sent us this birds’ nest after Katie came home, but it still captures me with its sweetness.

IMG_7440

This lamp has seen so many revisions over the years.  This time I lavished most of my antique mother of pearl button collection on it.

IMG_7613

A good friend wanted us to use some of her (lovingly and sacrificially given) donations for something special for Katie’s room.  This charming windy tree decal is what I chose.  It really gives one the feeling of walking into a fairy tale room.

IMAG0725

All the small ones in our family knew immediately that this space was just for them.  It pulls them in.  What a comfy place to cuddle up and read together.

IMAG0732

Here is sweet-Kate looking at her book like a big girl this past weekend.

IMG_7546

Here she is right before bed.

IMG_7613

Right now, the bookshelf is sparsely populated, but I’m sure many more of our favorite children’s books will find their way to this corner.

IMG_7444

Thanks for stopping by, friends!

14 Responses to “Katie’s room”

1. MamaV says:

So beautiful! What a lovely little Katie-nook!

2. Esther Paris says:

I think Amtrak needs to bring me to your reading nook one day. Much love from Rhode Island!

3. Maria says:

It’s absolutely lovely!

4. Deanna Rabe says:

I love this room! The tree is even better than we imagined! The tree, the artwork by Nathaniel’s crib and the lamp are some of my favorites!

The bird feeders for Katie’s pleasure is a great gift for her! She’ll love seeing all those birds!

5. Rebekah says:

I love it!!! The room is absolutely beautiful. I love that it expresses your love for Katie. It has “wanted, beloved child” written all over it. What a change from the orphanage. It reminds me of how God rescues us from life without Him and then lavishes us with beauty and goodness beyond comprehension. I love the windy tree. :)

6. Sarah Riche says:

This is a gorgeous room and I know Katie will love it. The colours are very natural and calming. It’s obvious you put a lot of love and care into everything! Is Nathaniel your son’s child, and are they living with you all? I look forward to seeing Katie and Laura’s room soon too!

Thank you for your kind comment, Sarah! Nathaniel Job Musser is our twelfth biological baby, born two weeks after Josie came home to us. See the post from January 30th and the ensuing comments. We kept baby and me protected from stressful negativity by keeping the pregnancy and birth off of social media until he was about three weeks old.

Oh, and Joseph and Lindsay have lived in a cute little house about fifteen to twenty minutes away from us and Lindsay’s parents (Deanna Rabe, who commented above, blogs at mrsrabe.blogspot.com, and helped me a great deal with the decor in the addition!) since they were married two years ago. God hasn’t sent them a baby in this period of time.

9. Joy says:

I LOVE it, Susanna! It is leaking sweetness and joy everywhere! Just lovely!

10. Lois J says:

Love, love, love the room! It looks rather fashionable! So thrilled you have come this far in the addition. And, congratulations on the birth of baby Nathaniel! That was a wise decision, how you handled your pregnancy and his birth. Best wishes. :-)

11. Aunt Mary says:

Just looking at the pictures you can sense the calm and restfulness of that room. God has given you a flair for decorating.

12. What a sweet post! You are gifted in decorating. I wish I could decorate like that! What beautiful and special things you have saved and picked out over the years and just for one room! I love the tree, I love the reading nook and love the pictures of Nathaniel. He is so adorable and of course looks just like the rest of your cute kids. : )

13. Oh such a sweet room! Great job!

14. Sarah Riche says:

Susanna, congratulations! I don’t know how I missed that post, because I check your website almost every day, but I must have been away or something. I love big families, and yours always delights me. You have such a warm, loving heart for all your children and I’m thrilled you welcomed another little one into the family! I guess I kept thinking the pictures of Nathaniel were Benjamin – I must be out of date!!! Sorry :)