Big project, small update!

November 16th, 2015

I just posted a brief update and five more photos on our YouCaring page, Building a Room for Josie.  Feel free to go check it out!

A big thank you to everyone who is pitching in to help, and to those of you who are praying for Josie and for us during this waiting time!

9 Responses to “Big project, small update!”

1. Missy says:

Oh my gosh, look at that second floor up already! Is that your room or Katie’s or someone else’s? I am so excited!

Missy, that upstairs space is three bedrooms and a walk-in closet for everyone who will be sleeping in that wing. Basically, all the guys but my husband will be in the existing bedrooms and the girls and parents will be in the new part of the house. We’re still needing to be careful and creative with our use of space, going from roughly 1300 square feet to roughly 2300 square feet, from three bedrooms to six. Our former (tiny) master bedroom is slated to become a laundry room that includes two changing rooms, a large work counter, and our two stackable washer/dryer sets juxtaposed with the walk-in closet. It was so fun to design the upstairs space to solve many long-standing logistical problems as well as to enable a restful and beautiful atmosphere! We are all looking forward to the new arrangement! It IS exciting, and I’m looking forward to the day when I can post photos of the finished rooms!

3. Esther Paris says:

Remember to make a walking-about video tour!

Esther, we will! That was a great idea! But I’m not planning to put it out there on the blog, since this is not a private blog. It’s on the growing list of things I’d rather save for supportive people we know and trust, people like you, who live too far away to come to the thank you picnic!

5. KMT says:

I’m trying to figure out the downstairs – Josie’s room. Is it one bedroom or two? I see that she has her own doorway entry, and I’m assuming that’s a bathroom in the center because of the window, but it looks like there is a window from the original wall of the house looking into the bedroom. Is that correct?

As for the basement, will that be finished, usable space or storage?

Again, I am so happy for you and your family that you are able to make this all happen!!!

Hi KMT! What is now still a window between our existing house and Josie’s room will become their door to the rest of the house.

To your immediate right as you enter her room from the outside entryway will be a roomy roll-in closet that both girls will share, Laura using the higher shelving and hanging bar, Josie using the lower shelving and hanging bar. In the corner to the immediate left of the door will be her mini-fridge and small wall cabinet so her HHA can access her meds and juice without needing to enter the rest of our house. Lining the wall along the left, one on either side of the door into the house, will be the two girls’ desktops, open underneath but with shelving above each one to the ceiling. Yes, the bathroom is roughly in the center of the right wall as you walk through the room. Back in the left hand corner with the two windows will be a small sitting area, a comfy hang-out place with small upholstered chairs, lamps, and a bookcase. Then in the cozy nook in the far right corner behind the bathroom will be their twin over full bunk bed. Does all this make sense? If you are highly visual like me, it helps to make a mental picture! It was energizing and extremely satisfying to work on designing a room to enable Josie to be as independent within that space as she can be and to share the room with an older sister, incorporating elements of both girls’ needs and personalities into the design and decor. I’m still actually collecting information to ensure every fine detail meets Josie’s needs as much as possible. It’s like a dream come true to be able to do this!

We plan to line the basement walls with much-needed storage shelving floor to ceiling, but use the whole center of that room as play space with a large area rug. Since Mindy is living in our playroom, having a spacious, clean, warm, dry, new, brightly-lit, toddler-free room for the kids’ Legos and Playmobil will be WONDERFUL with the long winter ahead of us! Josie will be able to access that room as well with a bit of help. :)

7. Deanna says:

It’s really coming along! I’m so excited about this project!

8. Esther Paris says:

Mini-fridges make me smile about God’s surprising Providence. And bike panniers that aren’t. Laugh!

It’s so fun to watch the journey by photos. Thank you for that!

Oh I brought some cookie mix to school & we’ll bake cookies tomorrow. The teacher looked at the box and exclaimed, “Where do you shop that you got this for 99¢?” Why BB’s in Lancaster County, of course! :-)

9. Basically giddy with excitement :)