Reflections on The Drop Box

March 4th, 2015

Joe and I watched The Drop Box last night.

We were not disappointed.

It rings true.

I love that the camera does not shy away from the disabilities, but persists in seeking out the inner beauty of each child shown.

The film authentically portrays some of the extensive sacrifices made by Pastor and Mrs. Lee.

Sleep deprivation, seemingly a requisite for every life-and-death calling,

Crowded living conditions, with every available square centimeter of their shabby “three story lean-to” used beyond capacity,

Relentless demands of the children’s need for food, baths, diaper changes, clean clothing, comfort, supervision, interaction, recreation, medical care,

Relinquishment of Pastor and Mrs. Lee’s privacy with the necessity of outside help,

But not enough help to meet the workload,

The toll that the stress has taken on this couple,

And the inevitable opposition, so well-known to those in the trenches, so freely voiced by distant onlookers.

The entire film is lit from within by straightforward faith, single-minded courage, tender-hearted obedience, and the gigantic, passionate, devoted, sacrificial, transformative love of the Father.

It radiates an unearthly beauty that transcends the noise and chaos, the down and dirty of everyday life with disability.  Every facial expression and every gesture show that the Lees understand the breathtaking honor it is to care for His children.

It is an intensely emotional documentary for me from beginning to end.  But Joe and I didn’t expect God to use this man’s story to open the eyes of my understanding and tug my heart out of a spiritually stuck spot.

God, if this is what it means, I can’t do this job!

But that’s a story for another day.

8 Responses to “Reflections on The Drop Box”

1. Carol says:

Ah… what a cliffhanger, Susanna! I can’t wait to hear the next part of the story! This post encourages me that we should go see the film. There was a showing in our city tonight, but we didn’t have a chance to arrange for a babysitter. I noticed they have added another showing for next Monday. I hope we can go. I was thinking of you again tonight – praying for you and your family. It is wonderful to see you advocating for the children at Pleven, but I’m sure despite the joy of it, it must also be draining too.

2. Louisa says:

We too saw the film….it was realistic, challenging our hearts to keep forging ahead! The most amazing thing was a packed theater to the point of overflowing! Praying the church catches on to what the Father sees and does something for the least of these! The Lees are wonderful examples to be totally sold out to Him in their daily lives. Praying for you Susanna and family as you advocate for Pleven and beyond.

3. Ann Onymous says:

Well, I read this blog post, and then I read the the latest blog post on another blog that I read and it made me think of you. The author recommended two Christian books. I just thought I’d mention them to you. First book: Into Your Hands, Father: Abandoning Ourselves to the God Who Loves Us by Fr. Wilfrid Stinissen. Second book:He Leadeth Me by Fr. Walter Ciszek. Hoping (and praying) that your family is well!!

4. Anna says:

I also saw The Drop Box last night. I thought of you and your family and the Carpenter family many times. All of you value life and are shining examples to me.

5. Lucy says:

I saw it last night and was SO encouraged. Glad you were blessed by it as well.

6. Mary says:

We, too, saw the movie. We were encouraged and uplifted by the portrayal of the absolute value of human life. The reality of it was astounding. Praying for you all, Susannah. We, too, have been spoken to by the Lord, and just stepped out in faith today! Let’s chat!!

Mary, that’s wonderful! Please feel free to email me anytime; I try to completely catch up on emails once a month, but that rarely happens. :) But I’d love to hear more about your newest journey!

8. Lauren S. says:

Oh my. I’m so excited to hear what the Lord has called you to now! We will be praying for you!