Katie is a teenager!

March 31st, 2015

Last week, Katie had the best birthday party she’s had since coming home.  It was fun watching her revel in the whole thing; she is so expressive and her enjoyment is contagious!  She knew just how it was supposed to go by watching everyone else’s birthday parties all year–Grandpa and Grandma, balloon, singing Happy Birthday, blowing out the candles, eating birthday cake, and opening presents!  She knew it was her turn to have a special day.  It’s time for Happy Birthday to KATIE!!  It was adorable!

She and I have a little dancing game we play together, and it goes like this, with a big lovey squeeze at the end…

Big girl, good girl,
Sweet girl, smart girl,
Funny girl, happy girl,
MY GIRL!!!!!

You can see all these and more in the many faces of Katie~

IMG_1331

IMG_1428

IMG_1431

IMG_1435

IMG_1445

IMG_1458

IMG_1466

19 Responses to “Katie is a teenager!”

1. Missy says:

Oh a swing! What fun! Is it for the playroom or is it for the swing set outside? I’m so happy Katie can enjoy birthdays and cake and special songs.

2. Louisa says:

It is SO exciting to see the JOY!

3. Kenna says:

She is so happy and it shows!! Happy Birthday Katie!
    (and I just love the photo with the cat!)

4. Amy says:

What wonderful birthday pictures! Happy Birthday beautiful Katie!

5. Abbie Caple says:

I love how every single picture is blurry because she’s so excited!! =)

Abbie, exactly! She can’t be happy and sit still at the same time, and our point-and-shoot can’t keep up!

7. Janna says:

Happy Birthday to Katie! She truly amazes me! To see how tiny and frail she was when you adopted her and to see her now, she is practically unrecognizable! If only her original caregivers (if you can even call them that) could see her now! God is awesome!!!!!! Katie is beautiful and precious! I am privileged to know many people with DS and they are all gifts from God. Katie’s facial expressions and her joyful spirit remind me of them all. What a blessing!

8. Melissa says:

Happy Birthday Katie! You are loved!

9. MamaV says:

Happy Birthday Katie! Birthdays with your family are lovely, aren’t they?

10. Galit says:

Happy Birthday! I love how her face is maturing, too! In some of the pictures, she is looking like a young woman instead of a little girl.

11. Carol Bidewell says:

Happy Birthday, Katie!! You look like a happy girl. Susanna – You’ve done a wonderful job with her and for her. She is adorable!

12. Caroline says:

I was reminded on seeing the photos of her with her cake of the difficulties you had initially in persuading her to tolerate any food at all. How wonderful to see these photos – thank you for sharing her joy with us.

13. Susan says:

Happy birthday, Katie! What a big girl you are becoming, as you grow and learn so many new things.

Katie is glowing with happiness in this photo-series, and has such light in her eyes and expression. Thank you, Susanna and Joe, for seeing Katie’s light when it was barely glimmering, and for nurturing it into the full radiance so eloquently shown in these wonderful photos. It’s truly “love-light”, and it shows. Beautiful,joyous Katie…just seeing her pictures makes me happy, too.

Susan in Kentucky
    Cousin to 2 from EE

Missy, sorry I missed your question earlier! It’s hanging outside on the big swingset–she loves it! The night of her party, we hung it indoors from the hook we use for the Super Spinner, just so she could try it right away.

15. Maria says:

She is so lovely!

16. Melinda says:

So beautiful! She inspires me. Thank you for sharing her with us!

17. Barb says:

Katie is proof that love works miracles. Thank you Susanna and family for all you are doing for her. :) Her joy is contagious.

18. HF says:

She looks so different from how she used to be. Does she remember her days prior to adoption? I so wish to know her. If your family ever visit Singapore, do let me know: