In praise of Real

July 14th, 2014

*looking at the supper table speculatively*

Hmmmmm.

Wonder how long it’s been since we set the table with real plates?

Not what I always imagined for our family by a long shot.

It always seems like what’s coming after the meal

is more important than washing real dishes.

Like real people.

So if we have to choose…

…and right now we cannot choose both…

Real plates or real people?

Throw away plates or throw away people?

Well, if you’re going to put it like that…

Mindy Walls~_MG_8736

Stephen, age 5:  I like Aslan’s country better than Narnia; do you know why?

Mom:  Why?

Stephen:  It’s because Aslan’s country is the real Narnia.

10 Responses to “In praise of Real”

1. The picture speaks volumes! Two children who never dreamed of a world outside a crib! In a place so beautiful! Thanks for always stopping by to see us! (((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))  with ALL our LOVE and prayers!!

2. Cheryl says:

I like this post. Our family also found itself having to make that choice.  People or plates –  easy choice!

3. Deanna says:

Beautiful photo!
    Always real people vs real things.  People before things has been our motto for our whole marriage.

4. MamaV says:

I am sure that someday I will need to look at this post and re-make a bunch of lifestyle decisions… Thanks for showing what is truly important!

5. Lorena says:

And hey!  Who said that paper plates aren’t “real”?  ;)  Life’s short and we can’t do it all – a tough lesson to learn sometimes.  Choose wisely and be grateful.  Thanks for the reminders!  And oh, when we finally see “Aslan’s country” – !!  Of course the plates won’t have mattered there…..

6. Jeunesse says:

Whew, guess we are not the only ones (hee hee).  Thanks for sharing

7. Missy says:

Hmm, wash dishes or sit in a stream with three lovely little people? Gee, no choice there!  And I love  that little boy conversation. I didn’t read C.S. Lewis until college!

8. Nicole says:

It’s great when you can afford to make the choice of not having real plates… ;)
    I really wonder how you still have the strength to breastfeed ! Amazing !

Nicole, we can get very large stacks of plain paper plates for a very low cost here. I’m guessing it must be different where you live? We do feel very blessed to live where we do, partly because we can live well here on relatively little. It’s an ideal place for us to live and not only for that reason.

I wonder about the breastfeeding, too. Ben’s one of the most motivated nursers I’ve ever had, but still…! With the physically grueling demands of my life, including the severe, long-term sleep deprivation, truly it is amazing.

10. Lori L says:

Thanks for being real with us. You are such a blessing. Love the photo! Truly precious!