And you took Me in

June 22nd, 2014

It’s a Sunday morning, tranquil and lit with a cool winter sunshine.

Ben is upstairs napping.

I rise wearily from the floor where I had been sitting with Katie, both of us still in our pajamas.

In the background, truth is sung quietly, musingly, although the volume is turned up as usual.

I’m not familiar with the words of this one and am only half listening.

In haunts of wretchedness and need,
On shadowed thresholds dark with fears,
From paths where hide the lures of greed,
We catch the vision of Your tears.

Tears.

I hear that word.

I’ve shed many tears lately.

Tommy is in his feeding chair, receiving a tube feeding.  I stop at his side.

Because he is well hydrated now, drool is often dripping down his chin.

Because of his tongue thrust, a crust of dried drool is often forming on his tongue and upper lip.

Because of the decay present in his mouth, both the drool and the crust are as foul-smelling as his breath.

For the dozenth time that day, I use a damp cloth to wipe the drool from his chin and work at the crust clinging to his skin.

I gaze mutely downward into the chocolate brown eyes of my son and he gazes mutely back up into mine.

Suddenly, my ears hear every word and the eyes of my understanding spring wide open.

From tender childhood’s helplessness,
From woman’s grief, man’s burdened toil,
From famished souls, from sorrow’s stress,
Your heart has never known recoil.

“When you minister to him, daughter, you are ministering to Me.

When you wipe his crusty, drooling mouth, you are doing it to Me.

This is what it looks like, daughter, when I come to live at your house.”

The cup of water given for You,
Still holds the freshness of Your grace;
Yet long these multitudes to view
The sweet compassion of Your face.

Now my tears are streaming.

This task I have performed countless times without thinking is a holy privilege, as though my wounded Savior is allowing me to look into His eyes and wipe the crusted blood and stinking sweat from His face.

I wipe my tears on my shoulder and look downward into the chocolate brown eyes of my son, and he looks back into mine.

A strange joy mingles with the deep grief in my heart.

Welcome, Lord Jesus.

Only His wounds can heal the broken,
Only His wounds can save us from sin,
Only His wounds give faith to the faithless,
Only His wounds can restore us again.

12 Responses to “And you took Me in”

1. MamaPoRuski says:

Happy Sunday! God and I had this talk last night about something I was dreading doing, something I do a lot of lately but is not my “favorite” thing to do. I long to keep the spirit of serving Christ in everything I do, and so often forget. Great song! Thanks for sharing.

2. Lori L says:

What a beautiful post. Thank you so much for sharing and inspiring my days. What a beautiful and insightful heart you have.

3. Lucy says:

This is so beautiful. Such an incredible reminder.

4. Amy says:

Oh, the hope that is there – that each foul diaper, each stinky spit up, each unending mess, each screech borne, each never ending night, each day full of countless struggles, each desire  laid aside, each effort to serve one more time through exhaustion – is all for His glory.  This is the source of not only our strength, but of our joy.   Love you, precious friend.

5. Blessed says:

Oh, wow. Wow. Tears are streaming here too.  Praise the Lord for His tender mercies, and for these glimpses of Holy Truth He gifts us.

6. Melissa says:

He touched lepers. He said, “I am willing; be clean.” Not only was He willing to heal, He was willing to touch. To accept. To love. When all others ran the other way, faces covered.
    What did His mother say? “Do whatever He tells you.”  We are striving to obey.

7. Rachel M says:

I pray the Lord takes me and my family “further up and further in” as  He has you and your family. What hymn is that? Were your children singing it in the post?

8. Becky K. says:

This is a very special post.  Thanks for hearing the Spirit and passing the word along.  This is a perfect example of what we studied in Sunday School…to speak to each other in Psalms, Hymns and Spiritual Songs.  You are not as far out of the loop as you may feel.  :-)  Even now you are ministering to even more than your sweet ones at home.  What a blessing this was to my heart.

9. Carol says:

Thank you so much for this post, Susanna. It ministered to my heart in a deep way. I love Michael Card’s music, but that hymn was also unfamiliar to me. I couldn’t find Michael Card’s version online, but I did find this version which I thought was beautifully done.

10. I’ve been visiting here since my daughter introduced me during Katie’s adoption.  We’ve been trying to adopt (my daughter) for about three years now.  She had her heart set on a little girl.  We lost a little girl after much emotional and financial involvement.  Anyway, she got an unexpected phone call in May and made her decision based on knowing you through this blog.  She decided if you could take the challenge, so could she.   Just wanted you to know. Blessings http://www.youcaring.com/adoption-fundraiser/bailey-adoption-info/112809/update/182301

Kimberly, thank you so much for telling me this. Wow, what God keeps doing! Congratulations on your sweet new bright-eyed grandson!