The commitment of marriage

This day,

March 1st, 2014,

Joseph N. Musser II…

IMG_8270

…and Lindsay Grace Rabe…

IMG_8480

…make the commitment of marriage

with full, open, thrilled anticipation

of a fulfilling and fruitful life

of daily, absolute sacrifice.

IMG_8543

Not by human reasoning;

but by absolute trust

in what God the Father has told us He loves.

IMG_8545

IMG_8553

Not by human effort;

IMG_8552

But in the name of Jesus Christ

our beloved Saviour.

IMG_6803

Not by human emotion;

IMG_6814

But by the desire the Holy Spirit tends

burning in our hearts.

IMG_8573

I will always love you.

IMG_6832

I will always respect you.

IMG_8583

I will respond to you

with nothing but loving, respectful tenderness.

IMG_8584

I will make all decisions,

large and small,

in order to nurture you.

IMG_8586

I will spend time with you

before all else on earth,

IMG_8588

Listening to you,

working together,

maturing together,

appreciating you.

IMG_6841

I am utterly yours

and no one else’s.

IMG_8607

I will never hold myself back from you,

nor give myself to another.

IMG_8608

I will serve you

with every capacity God gives me.

IMG_8653

You are my treasure.

IMG_6862

I will never reject you,

nor seek another.

IMG_8633

I will prize you

above all else on earth.

IMG_8845

You are my one.

IMG_8838

I am never your opponent.

IMG_8699

I willingly resolve any breach in our unity,

never justifying myself.

IMG_6924

I will take pleasure

in overlooking any offense.

IMG_6955

When we awake each morning,

we will remember together.

Eager to sacrifice at every step.

IMG_6959
Each day,

you will hear and our children will hear

how deeply I cherish you.

IMG_6976

Each day,

you will hear and our children will hear

how great our God is.

IMG_8789

We cannot achieve these things ourselves.

We wait for God every day.

IMG_8763a

We think of ourselves not as the source

but as channels for God to fill.

IMG_8725

Now watch God glorify Himself

by showing Himself faithful

and abundantly sufficient!

IMG_7054

With childlike trust

in God’s grace alone,

Mr. and Mrs. Joseph N. Musser II

IMG_8623

28 Responses to “The commitment of marriage”

1. Chantal says:

Beautiful! Beautiful words, beautiful bride, beautiful family. Beautiful, oh so happy, faces. And I love the bride’s shoes!

2. sabrina says:

Just beautiful.

3. Missy says:

I admit to not being able to keep the “little boys” clear in my mind so sorry to the ringbearer, but he was absolutly wonderful! That little grin and sitting so properly and walking so carefully. Oh my he made my day.                                                                                                                                                                                    The vows were amazing. They are so mature and aware. What a great beginning!  The pictures really show us your family. Thanks so much for sharing them.
    p.s. Is there a picture of the groom and his mother?        :)

4. Tiffiny says:

Best. Vows. Ever.

5. Michaela says:

Beautiful, just beautiful!!! So much joy radiating from all faces.

6. Melinda says:

Simply beautiful!!

7. Deanna says:

I love that you put the covenant, that they wrote, in amongst the photos!  Such joy to look at them over and over and delight in that day!

8. Phyllis McElrath says:

Thanks for posting their commitment .  I wanted to hear it again. It is absolutely  wonderful. Thanks for helping me relive that wonderful day all over again!!!

9. This was one of the most beautiful weddings I have attended. Being a preachers daughter I have attended so many! Loved the father’s blessings and the commitment! At 31 years can we celebrate again? Lindsay and Joseph have begun their marriage honoring God and to Him be the Glory!

10. ERIKA says:

Precious and beautiful.
    Gods abundant blessings on this marriage and future children. :)

11. Lori says:

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful!

12. Tami Swaim says:

Yes, Amazing vows!  I will slowly read through them again and evaluate my heart and be sure that I am responding to my own beloved of 16 years as is so beautifully articulated here.

13. K says:

What a beautiful way to begin their life together, with such loving, tender, respectful, Christ honoring words of promise and devotion to Him and each other.

14. Eileen says:

Congratulations to the newlyweds!  And congratulations to you, too!  What absolutely beautiful post.  Such joy!  Thank you so much for sharing!

15. Warriorbride says:

Oh WOW! How precious, beautiful, and RIGHT! Thank you for sharing that! So thrilled for you all!

16. Lauren S. says:

So beautiful.  Those words – I want to have those on a big poster in our house!  What an excellent reminder of what marriage really is every single day.  Thank you for another wonderful post, Susanna!

17. Melissa says:

How beautiful. Lindsey is such a beautiful bride. She reminds me of us–the church, the new Jerusalem–dressed to be presented to her loving groom. There is such purity in these two; it will be a source of strength and inspiration to the world.

Their vows remind me (an old married lady of nearly 5 years, LOL) that I must guard my marriage with everything I have, and never treat my husband with anything less than the greatest loving kindness. Pettiness slips in so easily, and with the busy-ness of life, it nibbles away at the foundation. Bless Joseph and Lindsey for this reminder, and thank you Susanna for sharing them with us. I agree with Lauren; this needs to be on a poster and framed on my wall! :)

18. Melissa says:

PS: And I love the shoutout to Doctor Who! TARDIS-blue dresses and Lindsey’s 10th-Doctor Chucks! ;)

19. Jenny Hintze says:

Oh my goodness!! Congratulations! They look about twelve!! <3

Melissa, and a tiny TARDIS on their wedding cake! We tease them by saying, “Nerds of a feather flock together!”

Jenny Hintze, I’ve observed that young people look a little younger to me with every passing year! Haha!

22. Rachel M says:

Wow… My first thought was to copy those vows and put them up in my house too. They are so mature, yet young and “cool” Lol. I loved reading the vows and looking through the pictures!

23. Mary Winslow says:

Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing! The vows were precious!

24. MamaV says:

Beautiful!

25. cassandra says:

Seeing a marriage that has God in the center brings my heart joy and hope.  It is an incredible privilege to view the photos of their new life as one.

26. Oh my goodness!! Congratulations!! I’m so behind on blogs! Our last daughter was married in our living room last September! :o)
    (((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

27. cindy says:

Wow! Such spiritual maturity and a truely blessed beginning and testimony to all that know them.  I would love to hear if they came up with all the vows, ceremony details or if parents had input, desires.  Was any of it similar to your own ceremony, vows etc. and YES we need to see a picture of the mother of the groom!!!!!!!!

28. Jen says: