The wisdom of God

October 6th, 2013

There are many sweet little people living at our house.

Our family is in post-adoption transition compounded by medical complications.

That means life is different for all of us now.  We’re in another very hard stretch, and it feels like we’ve been saying that for quite a while.

And that means that many sweet little people in our family need reassurance.

Because we’ve made many changes, including more time spent in helping Tommy–and Katie–heal…

IMG_2021

…they need the reassurance of a routine that is as normal, stable, and predictable as we can make it.

They need to see that Daddy and Mommy love each other.  Everything is okay in a little child’s world if he or she knows that Daddy and Mommy love each other.  [Warning to friends in real life: we’re pourin’ it on like honeymooners!]

They need the reassurance that there’s enough love to go all around.

That adding a new child doesn’t subtract love from the family.

They need a mama who is calm and cheerful, who has an extra arm to squeeze around them and time to sit and listen to them talk about what’s important to them.

What these precious little people need most right now is not a schedule packed with therapy and “enriching activities,” which would otherwise have looked like a good idea.

The time for all that will come.

There’s no way I would have had the wisdom to spend as much time sitting in our big rocking chair as I am these days, if it wasn’t for…

IMG_1741

We’re seeing the wisdom of God in sending us a little Benjamin precisely when He did.

The most perfect strategy to get me to be very, very organized.

The most enjoyable reason to get me to slow down.  Much more fun than a sprained ankle.

Ben’s the reason I have all those wonderful, euphoria-inducing lactation hormones that make glad the hearts of mothers.  Happy mothers make for happy children.

Ben has even shared some mama’s milk with Tommy.

Amazing.

Baby, you were not an oops!

IMG_1742

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1)  Both the bird pillow and Ben’s romper above were purchased at a Hidden Treasures auction.  Be sure to visit the auction before midnight Monday night and place your final bids!

2)  Brenton has a family!  PRAISE GOD!!!  Can’t wait to find out who is claiming this treasure!

3)  Thank you to everyone who helped Jim and Linda Herr’s Reece’s Rainbow adoption account grow by about $1600 within a few days!  One giver gave $1500 of that total!

4)  We were back down at DuPont twice last week, AND Tommy, Ben and I are headed back there again on Tuesday the 8th for Tommy’s G-tube surgery, after which he will be admitted for 3 to 7 days.  We’re assuming 7 days!  The following Monday, the 14th, both he and Katie have procedures scheduled, then Katie’s IV treatments are on the last 3 days of that week.  Taking the long view, all these surgical and other procedures are happening in order to improve the quality of their lives.  [We’re ready to say goodbye to the NG tube down the nose and throat, tape on the face, and no-no’s on the arms!  However, we’re grateful that a max dose of meds are keeping the diarrhea at bay!]  And we’d rather cram all the procedures into a smaller time period rather than spreading them out.  But, yes, right now we are being super stre-e-e-e-etched and trusting God not just for survival, but to make our family stronger than ever during this trying time of many separations.  We appreciate the prayers that are going up for our family!

5)  See you again at the hospital, where I have fewer responsibilities and more rest and time to post lots of photos I’ve been saving up!

23 Responses to “The wisdom of God”

1. Becki says:

Still following this amazing journey of yours with awe and prayer. Our Ukie blessing has been home 10 months and my preemie is now 6 months old. We are still trying to find a routine that works for all of us. I understand the stretch! Hugs!

2. Beck says:

Praying for your all your family during this stretching time.

3. Rachel says:

Surely one of these days I will be running into you at Dupont! I’ll be there on the 16th (audiology) but looks like that might be right in between your stays. I often think of you and pray for you. I hope you come through this time of survival real soon, and start to THRIVE!

4. Maureen says:

Oh, many hugs from across the sea. I wish I was able to help in “real life” in some way. Will keep you lifted in prayer. Thank you for the encouragement this week.

5. lizzie says:

More prayers coming your way sweet friend.  Much love to you all.  Little Ben is so squishable! xoxo

6. Nicole says:

I love the way you realise how Ben’s timing is a blessing… one more ! :)

7. Barb says:

Good thoughts this week and always for your stretching family.

8. Jaelle says:

I love this post.  As we prepare to adopt our sweet little one, I keep thinking how I can’t possibly keep nursing our precious Josiah (age 1.5) because I won’t have time for everything else that needs to be done to help our coming son.  But God is good, and you are right….His timing is perfect.  Many blessings to you all.

9. Kristi says:

Thank you for posting this, Susanna. It encouraged me, and that feels wrong since you’re the one who should be getting all of the help and encouragement right now! I’m so glad that you have friends able to help you where you’re at. More prayers will go up for you all…

10. Laura says:

Love the update! Prayers being prayed for you!:)

11. Holly J. says:

So-called “oops” babies are simply the blessings we did not realize we needed.  :)

Will be praying for you, Susannah!

12. Susan says:

Praying for God to impart His strength on you as you spend many hours at the hospital.  GOD NEVER makes mistakes – Ben is proof of HIS timing.  Blessings to you!

13. sabrina says:

Praying for you during this stretching time. You’re an amazing person and an amazing mother! Love you!

14. Robin says:

Prayers for all of the procedures. Enjoy a little quiet time and extra snuggling with Ben, Tommy mad Katie while at the hospital, you have to take it when you can.

15. It’s funny that you call them ” euphoria-inducing lactation hormones”. For me, they were “knock out” hormones.  lol  If you’ve ever seen a comedy movie where the person is “stoned” to the point where they nod off… that’s what lactation hormones did to me every time!   Everyone here thought I was hilarious (my husband and MIL thought I was SO funny) because as soon as the baby would begin to nurse… I would get very “happy-dopey” looking and start to doze.
    Happy memories….

16. Brianna D. says:

Praise God!  It is a blessing to be able to see a little of the wonderful ways of God!  Just think of how  amazing it will be to be in His presence and see all His ways clearly!  For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”  (1 Cor 13:12)

Lisa, sleep IS euphoria for this mama! Haha! Some days it’s hard to stay awake surrounded by small warm bodies!

18. Jenny O (from momys) says:

I learn SO much from you! Susanna! :-). Tommy’s things are coming soon! My time has been full with our oldest not feeling the best and then the other kids….ahem, you get it ;-). You are so correct in that the Lord’s “interruptions” are blessings!

19. Tami says:

Oh hooray hooray hooray for Brenton!!!  :D
    And lots of prayers for your family.

20. Amanda says:

Your sweet attitude is such an inspiration! As are your organizational skills. :) I think about you ALL the time as we prepare for our TWO new blessings. You told me several weeks ago to have “no fear!” and we got so comfortable with the reality of our future with Miss Mirabel that we decided to bring home a little boy who needs a family, too. :) Prayers for you all! May God bless you with rest, energy and the special moments you need with each of your kiddos.

21. Jennifer says:

Thinking of your family and praying all goes smoothly for Tommy’s surgery today.

22. Colleen says:

Awesome. God is so good. Praying for you this month especially, and today for sweet sweet Tommy’s surgery.

23. Maggie says:

I’m praying all is going well today.  Look forward to hearing.  I was looking forward to visiting you at the hospital, but I don’t think they’ll give me your info if I just show up.  I’ve got to go home to Fredericksburg tomorrow, so hoping to hear from you before then.  let me know if you need my number.