Quick SOS!

September 7th, 2013

Friends, would some of you be willing to pray about something?  Tommy’s diarrhea has come back, only this time we are already doing everything we know to do about it.  There hasn’t been any change in his diet.

We’re back to feeding him on the potty, keeping a garbage bag under him at all times, and having him stay home.  Also, last time we were dealing with this, we hadn’t started up the new school year yet.

Could you pray that God would send us just the right help for Tommy, and that He would allow the rest of the family to function well during this extra tough time?

I happen to know several other Pleven adoptive families who are going through rough times right now as well.  Could you pray for all of us?  This would be such a blessing!!  Thank you so much, praying friends!!

77 Responses to “Quick SOS!”

1. emma says:

I am a nurse and I don’t know if Tommy has been on antibiotics but often in the hospital pts on multiple antibiotics get what is called C. Difficile, it causes cramping and frequent uncontrollable diarrhea that is somewhat sweet smelling. You can do a stool sample to rule it out, it is usually a very easy problem to fix.  Just thought I would put that out there though your doctor has probably already checked for it!
    Thinking of you and yours

2. K says:

Poor Tommy and poor you.  I will definitely pray.  I’ve not read all the comments, but I hope someone has the answer for helping cure Tommy of this.  Dietarily, something popped into my own head, but I don’t know enough about it to give you specifics.  What I was thinking of is gelatin, the real stuff, which is made from bone marrow.  I believe it’s a super easy to absorb protein and is soothing to the bowels and it’s a thickener.  Best of all, you can add it to anything, even what he drinks.  Just don’t let it sit or it will solidify.  There is also agar, which is a good thickener and might firm up his poop while soothing his bowels.  Again, it can be added to anything, with care.  At this point, I would recommend you contact the colorectal center at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.  They always take cold calls, for free, and are very, very knowledgable about all things intestinal.  They have one of the best bowel management centers in the world.  Tommy’s problem is, most likely, unique, but they would surely have some suggestions.

3. Susan says:

No additional suggestions from me, unfortunately, but wanted to send my best wishes for a very rapid recovery for Tommy, and rest for everyone after this ordeal. I hope you can get to the bottom of it (sorry, just couldn’t resist that terrible pun…) ;-)
    Seriously. I do realize how troubling this is, both for Tommy’s well-being and the worry of trying to diagnose and treat the cause of his trouble, and I hope the solution can be found asap. You’re all in my prayers, as always…
    Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from EE

Kelly Sangree, what a wonderful thing for you to offer me your pump! Thank you so much! I do have the same pump and it’s still working, I just prefer the smaller size and portability of the hand pump for this occasional brief pumping. Knowing what a blessing a good pump is, I hope your pump finds its way to a good home. Thank you again for offering it to me!

5. We fight this too. Never a rhyme or reason. We just had 3 weeks of all 5 boys with diarrhea. Which was a complete shock! We wash toys, wash hands, were feeding the same foods. Changed the diet to the BRAT diet. The horrible smell did make our Dr think it was viral. Several boys responded to Kaopectate- PHEW!! Our boys all came home completely constipated and now for 2 years we fight these blow outs. We double diaper our boys- adult size small diaper on top of a size 6 or 7 diaper. Our Drs are as confused as we are. I thought your post on atrophic stomach sounded like a good reason? Such a mystery. (((HUGS)))

K, thank you for these suggestions! I’ll give them a call!

Susan, that gave me a laugh! I guess I’ve got elimination diet on the brain! Oh, man…

8. Laura says:

One thing I was wondering was if it would be an option long term to replace carpeted flooring with washable surfaces such as linoleum and then he could play on the floor and it would be fairly easy to clean up. Washable toys such as those not made of fabric are also a good choice (do not have kids of my own but have worked in summer programs w/ children and teens with special needs and know carpet is a bad idea). I also wonder if adult swim diapers might help Tommy as some websites sell them. I loved the video of the family working together in the yard and Tommy trying to help and then getting really excited. I wouldn’t have been annoyed by that noise if I was a neighbor/would have seen a boy excited to be part of a family activity. It would have been fun to have all the kids wave their corn shucks around and celebrate together. Only thing about excited kids is I get excited too/love joyful noise. I’m less fond of kids who don’t have challenges being rude and disrespectful such as a typical teen having a drunken party at 3AM. It angered me in my country when the family of the young boy about Tommy’s age with autism got a nasty letter from a creep in the neighborhood because he was making excited noises like that on the trampoline. When I see things such as Tommy with the corn shuck I think looks like’s having fun. I want to join him :-) You have a big family but a beautiful family.

9. Becky K. says:

Praying that this week is the turnaround week for precious Tommy.  You are in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

10. LaurieS says:

Joining in prayer for all!!

11. Melissa says:

Makes me think of the woman suffering with a hemorrhage…who KNEW that if she just touched the hem of Jesus’ garment, she would be healed. I pray that the Holy Spirit just wraps Tommy up like a blanket! I pray for strength and even humor and joy…I pray for comfort, both physical and emotional. One day, Tommy’s story will testify to God’s victory in EVERY area of his life–not only his rescue from P but the healing of his whole self.
    I pray for other P families too, that they know the comfort and peace that passes all understanding.

12. Jenny says:

Hi, Susanna.
    So sorry to hear Tommy’s having these intestinal issues.
    We’ve fought c. diff (I noticed someone else had suggested that as a possibility) in the past in my house, first with antibiotics (I forget for sure which ones) and anti-amoebics (flagyl), but it just kept coming back. My daughter was in quite a bit of pain. It got bad enough we were discussing fecal-bacteria transplants. But in the end, the thing that helped was apple cider vinegar. Once we used that, c diff went away and never came back. My brother-in-law came down it the following year and also cleared it up with acv.
    Now, I’m not saying I think Tommy has c. diff. I understand his intestines are in bad shape from years of neglect. I learned while treating that serious form of diarrhea, that acv treats most forms of diarrhea. And it’s probiotic.
    I have no idea if any of this will be useful to you, but it’s been on my heart to tell you for the past couple days. Our family remembers you often, and we pray God makes your search fruitful.
    *hugs*

13. Sarah says:

Praying for you and the other Pleven families.

14. Shari says:

We have four with diarrhea here right now, too, so as I clean them up I will be praying for you and Tommy.  Our neighbor had it pretty bad last week, too.  I wonder if there’s something in the air right now.  I know Tommy’s case is likely unique, but it still seems strangely coincidental.

15. Shari says:

P.S.  Our #6 is due any time now.  Last night, I dreamed that he came out the top of my tummy from a kangaroo-like pouch (LOL!) and appeared to have Downs syndrome.  He was a curly headed, blond, smiley boy.  Everyone around me was making very sad faces and saying they were so sorry.  I just kept telling them, “No, it’s really fine.  Please don’t be sad!  I’m OK with this because of a blog I’ve read!  It’s really OK.”  :D  Blessings to you!

16. ElizabethG says:

Praying for you here dear friend. We remember you always before the Lord

Shari, this brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for telling me this.

And I sincerely hope the diarrhea clears up before baby arrives! xoxox Praying right now for strength for you, friend.

18. Cassandra says:

Susanna,
    May you be equipped with supernatural patience during this tough time.  I am praying that it will clear up just as quickly as it arrived .  This is really up there on the list of challenging things we parents do. I’m thanking God that you love him (Tommy) because without love it would be ridiculously hard.
    Cassandra

19. Ruth says:

Susanna, What a precious mother you are! We are praying for all of you. I don’t know if this is something that Tommy could have, but in old times Slippery Elm Bark Powder was used to help stop diarrhea while giving nutrients. You mix it with applesauce or a tea/fluid. It will bulk up, but can be thinned to a gruel for feeding. I have used it successfully with elderly patients. I purchase it by the pound from Ameriherb in Ames, Iowa. It is a family run business with bulk herbs and spices. We are praying for wisdom and direction in finding a solution. God has not brought you this far to leave you now! May you praise HIM for HIS mercies endure forever.
    Blessings,
    Ruth in TN

20. Tami says:

(((hugs & lots of prayers)))

21. Jen says:

Prayers that you and your husband be given an endless supply of energy and wisdom! When it seems like the oil is about to run out, you find that you can just keep pouring.

22. Hope says:

I am praying for your family in this time and hope that the reason can be found and treated quickly! I found this blog while doing some reading for my doula class and I have spent the last 3 hours catching up on 3 years of your life. It’s amazing what God will show us when it is needed. I have been feeling very stressed with MANY situations on top of working full time and going to school for my RN and doing a doula class…then I come across this and realize that if I just put my faith in God and rely on his wisdom I can obviously make it through these emotional and physically draining trials.
    I also saw the video of the Serbian children and it tugged at my heart, Unfortunately I was lost in myself in those years and had fallen away from church and God. I have recently been researching becoming a foster parent (and adoption, though I never thought I could REALLY do it) Tonight I will pray as well as tomorrow and everyday after that God shows me what he has in mine and my husband’s future. I ask that those reading this also pray for guidance and wisdom for my family.
    I love your family and have only known of you for mere hours! I will continue to follow you and keep your family in my thoughts and prayers!

23. MamaPoRuski says:

Dear jesus heal Tommy’s stomach and help him absorb his food. Give wisdom to his mama! (and docs for that matter!)
    HUGS!

24. I think you are all doing wonderfully.  Bone broth is so good at rebuilding the tummy lining and is so nourishing.  I love having a g-tube for children who need it.  It will save much time, energy and you can put into him things that you might not be able to get him to eat.  Also the kind of pectin that is used to make jellies is a very good way to make his bowels thicker.  It is easy to research how it is done.   blessings, susan

Susan, thank you for this suggestion. We were considering gelatin as a thickener, because Thick-it is very expensive and doesn’t really have nutritive value. We’ll look into the pectin. His BMs have gotten looser again over the past day without any dietary changes, so we are eager to figure that one out.