From my quiet [hospital] room

September 18th, 2013

Two exhausted little boys are sleeping deeply near me as I type this update.

Things started going downhill for Tommy throughout the day on Monday.

It’s a relief to be here.

IMG_1899

An appointment with a GI doctor providentially opened up for Tommy.  We’ve been here since first thing yesterday morning.  It was just a GI appointment, but I packed for the rest of the week.  I’m a Pleven mom, you see, and it’s what we Pleven moms do!

He was admitted through the emergency department in order to speed up the process.

IMG_1900

They are taking excellent care of our boy here at duPont.  And of Ben and me.  They go the extra mile or two or three or ten as a matter of course here.

IMG_1914

Tommy’s undergoing nutritional rehabilitation similar to what Katie underwent when we first brought her home.

IMG_1902

And a full GI workup.

He’s such a trooper–full of giggles and mischief tonight in spite of an IV in his hand, naso-gastric tube down the back of his throat for his barium test tomorrow, no-no’s on his arms, and post-endoscopy discomfort.

Ha, says Tommy, if I can survive sixteen years of Pleven, I can handle a little GI testing with a smile on my face!  Bring it on!

IMG_1905

Hospital time can be such wonderful bonding time.  I’ve requested to do all his non-medical care myself, and to be there to soothe and explain to him if he needs a painful procedure.  I loved getting to lie down next to him to comfort him as he came out of anesthesia this afternoon.  He always falls asleep the closest to me that he can get.

Sweet boy~

IMG_1909

Friends, could you pray that all the testing will not be wasted?  That it will solve some mysteries and help us put together a successful feeding plan for our little guy?  Success will be finding what works, whatever that ends up being!

Thank you for praying for him!  We love and appreciate you!

P. S.  If you’ve emailed the susanna@theblessingofverity.com email address since early Monday morning, please forgive me for not replying!  I haven’t been able to use that email account here!

31 Responses to “From my quiet [hospital] room”

1. Becky K. says:

So good to hear from you.  You have not left my mind….
    Praying for real answers and a swift return home for all of you.

2. Tiffiny says:

You and Tommy (and Ben) are exactly in the right place, and I just know God is putting together just the right people to help Tommy. I am praying and know you soon will have the information you need to know how to resolve this issue. Thank God Tommy has such a happy disposition! Million dollar smile is right!

3. Jill B says:

Praying you are able to find some real answers and that Tommy is feeling better soon!

4. Kim says:

Praying and trusting God for miracles!!!

5. K says:

I’m praying for you!

6. Cinderellamommy says:

Praying here now!!

7. What a relief that you are in the hospital and the staff are working to find answers for Tommy’s belly/intestinal problems. We are praying for you all. Sure is comforting to see Tommy Boy wiggling circles in his bed. The freedom he must feel since coming home, and the love.:)
    Take Care,
    hollym.:)

8. laurie says:

Love Tommy’s smile!
    praying for all to be revealed!
    laurie

9. Deanna says:

We’ve been getting updates from Joseph through Lindsay – it’s very handy, I must say!
    We’re praying for you, the family, Tommy specifically and the doctors, asking the Lord to make it known clearly what can be done to help Tommy.

10. Galit says:

Praying for healing and peace for all of you.

11. Absolutely praying! Always praying! Wish we lived closer so I could kiss those cheeks on Ben! Ooooh! Babies are so sweet!
    (((HUGS)))

12. Terri White says:

Been praying since your post on Saturday and will keep praying for all of you!

13. Beck says:

Praying for you all!

14. Kim says:

Always praying, always sending you love and healing vibes :).
    PS:  We got our verbal referral!! Travel in the next month!! :)

15. Melissa says:

Having my own tummy woes at times, I know a little of what that’s like…and the relief that hopefully in the hospital someone will have an answer, and that caring people are around in the meantime.
    Bless you as you wait. I am sure Tommy is delighting all who see him with his high-wattage smile. I pray protection over you and Ben too, that any sickies stay away while you’re there!

16. Susan says:

Joining so many others in prayers for Tommy, his family, and all involved in his care. I so hope the many tests he’s undergoing will reveal not only the cause of his troubles, but will make clear the solution(s).
    Meanwhile, what a blessing to see pictures of him calm and happy, apparently not distressed by the change of scene and routine. (though I’m quite sure Tommy was not exactly thrilled with some of the more invasive and painful procedures),
    And once again, a child from Pleven is being a witness to others by his sheer presence in their midst…
     So glad you and baby Ben can be with Tommy now. I hope you can rest in the knowledge that Tommy is receiving the diagnostics and care he needs in order to overcome his issues and regain his health and thrive.  While I’m sorry he had to be hospitalized for this to come about, it’s a relief at the same time. I hope his stay will be short as well as productive. Meanwhile, try to get some physical as well as mental and emotional rest..
    Thinking of all of you,
    Susan in Kentucky
    Cousin to two from Eastern Europe

17. Ginger says:

Praying for you all!
    Lord, be glorified in Tommy’s testing. Give the Mussers wisdom through it according to your promise in James 1:5. Thank you for your faithfulness to this family. Continue to bring glory to your name through these trials and use the Mussers to draw others to you. Amen.

18. Jen says:

I am praying you get answers and a good-solid plan of rehab for Tommy.  Hoping you can rest some and that the home front is being held down by the rest of the family.  Much love!

19. Barb says:

Hoping for answers to help Tommy get on track!

20. Louisa says:

Praying for you in the hospital and all of you at home!

21. Dear Susanna…
    I’m so very glad to know that Tommy is getting the testing he needs in order to find out his needs and how to help him medically!
    I’m sorry for the need for the testing, but glad that it is getting done!
    I pray for “you guys” all the time, but I will add some specifics regarding Tommy-boy.
    May I “float” an idea to you?  (Praying that I won’t put my foot in my mouth and offend you)  I know that you have requested to do all of Tommy’s non-medical care yourself.  Is a nurse or aide by your side when you are doing this?   The reason I ask is because this would be such a WONDERFUL opportunity for teaching (in a gentle,  non-threatening way) hospital staff about the special needs of children like our Pleven kids.  There are still SO MANY out there who don’t understand how to work with special needs children… particularly those who have suffered profound neglect, abuse, and suffering.  By adding a few words of explanation (here and there) about why you are doing things a certain way (how you approach your child, comfort them, etc) or why your child acts/reacts a certain way (avoiding touch/eye contact, shutting down, etc)… just imagine the seeds of knowledge and compassion that you may be able to sow in these people’s hearts and minds!
    Sometimes a few well placed words and actions can work wonders in the hearts of strangers.  <3

22. Lorena says:

Praying for that very success for you!  Your attitude through all of this inspires me more than words can say.  May the God of strength be your fortress & your daily provision.

23. tara says:

Prayers and hugs for your Tommy boy!

24. MamaV says:

Awww, praying for Mr. Tommy! I hope that this visit brings much clarity to his situation!

Lisa, oh yeah! It’s happening! I love it!

26. Susan says:

Prayers for answers!
    Prayers for strength for you dear Susanna!
    Prayers for God to move in Tommy’s body and heal this problem.

27. teresa says:

thankful for the care Tommy is receiving.  wonderful that you & babe are there with him.  praying for God to provide insight for Tommy’s eating and nourishment.

28. Maureen says:

Good call on the bag packing! ;) We’re continuing to pray. Wish we’d had time to swing by the other day. Get a bit of rest and take good care of yourself too, ‘k?

29. Deborah says:

I am praying for you and your family, my friend in Christ. You are an inspiration to me. God has blessed you so much and you are a blessing to others.

30. Susanna,
    I had a feeling.  lol  You’re such an angel.  I’m praying every day for you “guys”.  You’re always in my heart.  Crista is now a 6 year old!  Hurray.  We celebrated her first birthday outside of the orphanage today.  It was so beautiful.  Our sweet angel surrounded by her family.
    I’m happy to say that her favorite gift was her baby doll from her mom.  She’s begun (unpromted!) calling me Mommy.  It was quite a surprise.  A welcome one.

31. Kate says:

I second what Lisa Matthews wrote, above.  Your teaching the nursing staff is such a blessing…that would be such a treat to be the on the receiving end of such learning in a children’s hospital.  I’m sure they’re doing a thorough examination to get to the root of Tommy’s issues, but I was wondering if it could be related to Hirschprung disease.  It may not have manifested earlier, given his extreme neglect and malnutrition.  Just putting it out there as a thought.  Keeping you all in my prayers!  Kate from Canada.