Sometimes it has to get worse before it can get better.

August 4th, 2013

That’s the title I was going to give the big Tommy medical update post.

Um.

Let’s just say it’s not a great idea to overschedule when dealing with medical issues during a post-adoption transition, especially when you have a nursing baby going through a growth spurt and it’s the last week before beginning a new homeschooling year!

Between the overscheduling and Tommy’s medical issues, there was less than zero time to write about Tommy’s medical issues.  Not one word of that post has yet been written, and this is our first week of school.

In the meantime, may I present to you a few measly photos taken on the fly?

We spent the whole day gearing up to attend a free local Saturday night concert of Celtic music, arrived late, heard one and a half songs before they decided to close the concert early, and commenced to get soaked to the skin not too long after these photos were taken.

IMG_1063

IMG_1064

Perfectly beautiful day to take a family trip to the National Zoo.

IMG_1081

IMG_1082

IMG_1083

IMG_1084

IMG_1086

IMG_1091

IMG_1092

Look at this sweet girl near the end of a very long day.

IMG_1098

Tommy seems to be the only one left with any pep!

IMG_1101

Wait a minute!  Is that a yawn?

IMG_1102

Verity, what are you eating?

IMG_1103

Yum, yum~

IMG_1107

Kashi crunchy granola bars

IMG_1109

Ben, please, pretty please, settle on a thumb and not a finger?

IMG_1110

We stayed until closing time and pulled into our driveway at 11 pm.  Tommy was the only one of the eight littlest children to stay awake.  He clapped his hands and laughed as we older ones sang our way home.

Thanks for that…uh…that smile, Stephen…

IMG_1113

Good morning, girls!

What sweetness greets me in the morning!  Katie literally smiles before her eyes come open!  This photo doesn’t show her hilarious morning hair very well.

IMG_1119

Verity’s morning hair~

IMG_1126

Put your glasses on, Verity!

IMG_1129

That’s right!  Big girl!

IMG_1133

So why did I give this post that particular title?

What you do not see in the photos is Tommy’s countless diaper explosions and all the many ramifications of said explosions to his ever-shrinking wardrobe, our schedule, our carpet, my decisions to take him in public.

Sometimes it has to get worse.

This is the part of the story where these words come to mind…

“…sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated.

For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the spoiling of your goods, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one.

Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward.”

Before it can get better?

That’s a story for the next time.

18 Responses to “Sometimes it has to get worse before it can get better.”

1. Kim says:

Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, (nor monstrous, multiple blowouts) shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    Hugs and prayers!!!!

2. I just wanted to let you know I am praying for you all and enjoy your posts so very much.  God is so good.  I sent you an e-mail with some thoughts for precious Tommy.  blessings!

3. Galit says:

Ugh, cliffhanger!
    I can’t help but notice how close Katie seems to walking, though! She looks very stable on her feet!

4. MamaV says:

I almost didn’t recognize Katie! She is looking like such a kid! I can’t wait to hear all about Tommy (and about how it gets better, other than his huge grins and great faces, obviously).

5. Lorena says:

Just ditto all the others!  :)  and thanks for posting all the photos, even though you didn’t have time to write the post you were planning to write.  Blessings and prayers as God grows your patience, endurance, and grace to meet these days!

6. Kelly Sangree says:

Have you considered getting a snap or velcro cloth diaper cover to go over Tommy’s diapers? They might have to be special-made, but that elastic really helps contain the mess and keep it off his clothing. Hobby Lobby and JoAnns both carry the materials and snap tools to make covers like that, and I bet if your daughters don’t have time to sew them maybe a neighbor will be able to help!

7. Kelly Sangree says:

I found a company that makes them up to 90 lbs – http://prodiaper.net/online-shop/diaper-wraps/prorap-classic-diaper-cover

8. Emma says:

Hi. As someone who had to deal with “blowouts” and rather *ahem* soupy and “pudding like” BM after a very serious case of sepsis which turned into septic shock, I had to use diapers for several months. I found these:
    to be invaluable. Because they go down the leg, it helps to keep the leak from the diaper sides from staining clothing and bedding. i also used these:
    they are expensive but wash wonderfully and really hold a lot. Both products are made in the USA. They might be of a help.

9. Maureen says:

You did leave us hanging!!! :D But I loved all the photos. Your zoo trip looked fun; have to say, there is something heart melting about seeing Katie ride on her brother’s shoulders just ‘being’ a little sister.

10. Missy says:

Um, I got this great tarp, 9×12 at Home Depot. Wonderful for protecting carpets from explosions. It’s a lovely bright blue. With your red wall it would be very patriotic. lol I’m sorry you are dealing with so much poop and I’ll pray for all of you.

11. Rebecca says:

I’m realy hoping he doesn’t have an IBD, please contact me if so, i have a lot of experience there, unfortunately.

12. Deanna says:

We like that zoo!
    I’m praying for you and for Tommy and the explosions….sigh.  God knows, and will give wisdom.  Missed you Sunday.

13. Loren says:

I just love your photos.  Such a gorgeous family! :D

14. Shanna says:

I keep waiting for the “get better” part.  My adopted son has been home for one year and the meltdowns and inability to take him to family parties, etc. is so frustrating.  Will hope with you for better days.  Luckily the “blow-outs” have resolved.

15. Anna T says:

Praying for you and your family, for answers, strength and wisdom.  Loved the pictures!!  ((Hugs)), prayers and love dear friend!  Anna

16. Adam says:

Emma: I also find these http://www.llmedico.com/product/18/gary-pull-on-plastic-bloomers/ to be great! They cover the diaper so well and keep leakage from occurring.
    Great article Susanna!

17. jl says:

Yes!  A cloth diaper cover over the diaper will contain a great many blowouts!  I use this trick whenever we are experiencing digestive distress, lol.  The elastic around the legs and waist hold everything in long enough to be attended to.

18. Lucy says:

Have you looked into digestive enzymes for Tommy? http://www.litalee.com/