We laugh.

July 12th, 2013

IMG_0849

Tonight I was attempting to explain to Joe how Katie and Tommy interact with toys, and found it easier to demonstrate it for him.

Joe:   We’d better not take a video of you doing that, or they’ll send you to the funny farm.

Susanna:  I already live on the funny farm.

“What are you guys laughing at?”

IMG_0846

I wielded a paintbrush more often than a camera this week, and have very few photos to share.

Okay, that’s only part of the truth.  The rest of the truth involves spectacular displays of revolting, uncontrolled bodily substances and multiple diaper fails.

There’s something that rarely comes across on this blog, and that’s our family’s wacky sense of humor. I’ve talked myself out of posting hilarious Musser stories countless times. You might not understand!

But you need to know…

When we don’t take ourselves too seriously, life as a family with ten typical children, one homegrown sillydoodle with Down syndrome and post-Pleven twins is just plain funny.

Sometimes it’s laugh or cry, sometimes it’s the ingenuous things the younger ones say, sometimes it’s utter situational ridiculousness, sometimes it’s general hilarity.  A little sleep deprivation helps.

A lot of sleep deprivation helps even more.

IMG_0806

Question from first-time adopting special needs mom: How do you deal with those times when the comments from everyone about your family size or homeschooling or whatever they decide to pick at, combined with fatigue, just get a bit too overwhelming?

Answer: We’ve rarely had negative comments to deal with, but when they come, it works best to take them with a large dose of humor.

Last night I took Laura out for a special night to have her hair cut and her birthday photo taken, and to pick out her new watch. We took Verity and baby Ben with us in the double stroller, and got the comment of the year: “And this looks like a day care!”

Uh, so two children in a double stroller is now a day care, HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Laughter will be your best friend, I promise you!

IMG_0825

Tommy’s been home 3 1/2 weeks now.

IMG_0796

IMG_0798

IMG_0800

IMG_0802

IMG_0803

IMG_0804

IMG_0808

IMG_0810

“I’m all done with that toy now.”

IMG_0812

Life is SO indescribably, crazily full–but full to overflowing with the people I love best, doing what I love to do most.

And that includes lots of laughing.

It’s so good. I love it. God is so faithful.

IMG_0854

Oh yes, and before I forget to tell you…

…we can’t remember the last time we heard Tommy grind his teeth…

24 Responses to “We laugh.”

1. MamaV says:

Your littles look delightful!

2. Inga says:

I love it!  Verity is your very own Cindy-Lou who!   I love the pictures of Tommy playing with that toy.  That toy would be a hit in my house-noisy, colourful, and a weapon, too!  What’s not to love?

3. Wow! Our Pauly (2 yrs home)- still tries to grind his teeth. Maybe it’s his autism. Good for Tommy!! Verity is too cute for words!! And Tommy with the “hammer”!! Oh my!! My Julius decided to quit hammering his pegs and hammer his new sister Bella Mercy’s head!!! LOL!! Yup- lots of laughter here too. Count it all JOY!! (((HUGS)))

4. Gina in Spain says:

YAY!! You sound better and more up and that makes me happy!!! I can imagine alot of humor is needed to get thru the day to day…..HUGS!! LOVE reading about the kiddies!
    2 kids in a doubvle stroller is a daycare!! WHAT??? Ugh. Some people.
    Anyway, I know you don´t really know me but I wanted to tell you I won´t be online again til August 19th..I am going away to somewhere with no phone, no TV and no internet. When I get back, I can´t wait to catch up…
    Have a great summer!!!!!XXOO….

5. Kim says:

I have a feeling I would totally understand the wacky Musser family humor!!!  Verity’s new do is absolutely priceless!

6. Cinderellamommy says:

Oh, Verity’s look in the tub is PRICELESS!! Happy times it looks like, what fun to be a Musser! :) Laura

7. Love the wonderful pictures as always!  I totally agree.  Some days we would not make it thru them with out just taking it in stride and laughing.  Half of our days and stories if I shared them, people would not believe them anyways!  They are that unusual!  There is never a dull moment, an empty lap, a day with out countless hugs, a moment with out much love.  We are truly blessed.  Peculiar people for sure.  And for real…not of this world!  Blessings!

8. Abbie C. says:

OH! I love the hair! And post them – we want to laugh too! =)

9. Fatcat says:

I think I’d enjoy your sense of humor too.  Verity is so cute.  Hey, if you can’t laugh, what’s the point?

10. Mary Winslow says:

Thank you Susannah! I needed this post! We LOVE to laugh here, too!

11. Cassandra says:

I have been known to say that our family puts the FUN in dysFUNctional :).
    It’s an interesting thing, isn’t it? When I do a lot of laughing the kids laugh a lot, too.
    So true, as you intimated, that it is often best not to take ourselves too seriously.
    I discipline myself in the hard times to remember that I didn’t create this situation (when it is true), I am only trying to be part of the solution.
    Finally, I watched the full length video called Bulgaria’s Abandoned Children, or something like that.  I have hardly slept the last two nights. Beyond disturbing. No reconciling that level of disrespect toward a child. There just isn’t.

12. Angie says:

Thank you for making my day brighter. I am still smiling. :)

13. Melissa says:

Sometimes when things are a bit trying, and my husband calls to tell me he’s coming home, etc, I answer my phone, “City Zoo, how may I help you??” =D Although this morning I was laying in bed listening to my wee one begin to wake up and I sighed to my hubs, “I’m so tired.” I really could sleep for about three days, I’m sure…okay, maybe just a day, but still. Can’t imagine what it’s like at YOUR house! However I’m reminded of something I heard recently: “God doesn’t call the equipped, He equips the called!” :) I’m sure the Lord just chuckles at me…saying “Oh daughter, just ask and I will give!” =)  Thank you for sharing this journey with the world. You have encouraged me more than you’ll know in this world. ;)

14. Susan says:

Love the pictures- especially your own little real live Kewpie doll in the tub, and wow! look at that purposeful Tommy pounding away with such a light in his eyes and a determined expression, clearly understanding cause and effect. As for sturdy-looking Miss Katie, giggling in the background while her brother pounds away – oh my goodness, just look at her now!
    Joy, laughter, and perspective clearly are all back in residence at your house. Long may they thrive!
    Thanks for sharing and for bringing a smile to my face.

Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from EE

15. Carol says:

Thank you for the reminder to deal with day-to-day life with large doses of laughter, Susanna. As you said, it’s so true that our children follow our lead when it comes to reacting to challenging circumstances. The pictures of your kids are so precious, and I teared up when I read your last line about Tommy having stopped grinding his teeth.

16. Brianna D. says:

I don’t know if you think this is funny, but since you were talking about seeing the humor in things…  I was reading this post, holding my 3-month old baby.  He has a tendency to “hold it in” for a day or two, then “explode”… (Hint: do you remember what you said about about “uncontrolled bodily substances”?)  As I was sitting here reading this… I guess it was his “time”; then I look down at my shirt and realize… “Hmmm… diaper failure…!”
    I have 3 littles, age 3, nearly 2, and 3 months.  Most days now I feel overwhelmed.  Thank you for your example of looking to Christ for strength and grace, and of finding joy in day-to-day happenings!
    I’m glad to see the pictures of Tommy enjoying playing with toys!

17. Miriam says:

Amen to laughter. I believe it is one of God’s special gifts to His children.

18. PL says:

Please Please Please I want to hear Musser family stories.  I bet you have some that are just hilarious.  It’s your blog…If people judge you they can go be trolls somewhere else.  If you want to tell the story please don’t talk yourself out of doing so.  I’ll bet a lot of us will ‘get it’.

19. Lorena says:

Oh, more, MORE of the wacky Musser humor, please!!  Consider it a tutorial for your readers on how not to take themselves too seriously!  :)

20. Robin says:

Hi!  Just wondering if you took the same measurements with Tommy that you did with Katie?  I love seeing the stats and how she is thriving!  You are an inspiration when I get too caught up in my own life.  Prayers!  Robin

21. Heidi says:

I love reading about your gorgeous family. The photos of Tommy looking so happy just melt my heart. I am a firm believer in dealing with things with humour. In our house, particularly over the last twelve months, we have often said if you don’t laugh you would cry.

22. LaurieS says:

I TREASURE the laughter we have shared!  :)

23. Tami says:

What a wonderful feeling that must be to have Tommy not grind his teeth!  :)  Glory!! Thanks for taking the time to update.
    Also – I’m wondering (to put it mildly!) about that good news you hinted about that you couldn’t post about pre-gotcha trip.  About what God is doing there in B…  will that be coming up still?  It hasn’t dissipated has it?  !!!!

24. Kim says:

Give that boy a hammer!!!
    When Nate and I would get up to change the baby together (HA!! I get up alone now because I am so very, very kind…..) we would have the most hilarious time!! Sleep deprivation can drive a wedge or bring your closer.  Adoption and kid raising can do the same.  Why not opt for fun and laughter….nothing is THAT serious.
    LOVE YOU!!! SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!