Random photos from Tommy’s first week home

June 24th, 2013

Tommy plays the xylophone while I do a little fine motor work with his new sister.

IMG_0384

We’re excited that Verity can now drink water.  No more thickener!  This is a very big deal!  And just in time for her third birthday celebration!  Hurrah!

IMG_0373

Tommy can sit in the bath unassisted, but he needs the extra support in order to kick his feet and play with toys.

IMG_0391

He loves the bath.

IMG_0392

He loves everything except his seizure medication, haha.

IMG_0399

Yes, we have room for you at our sandbox, Tommy.

IMG_0411

He doesn’t have the sensory issues that Katie deals with.

IMG_0416

You are seeing that correctly.  Katie’s taste testing the new sand.

IMG_0417

Katie-tested and approved.

IMG_0420

Benjamin is experiencing premature balding.

IMG_0433

On Tommy’s second day home, Katie was grouchy and kept crawling away from everyone else with a very disgruntled look, as if to say, “If you don’t take him right back to that orphanage, I’m running away from home.”

Which was her way of telling us she needed extra reassurance that we still love her.

IMG_0469

Baby Benjamin, you are such a precious little complication in life.

IMG_0494

Fuzzy sweet little soft head bobbing at one’s shoulder more than makes up for the broken sleep, spit-up gushers and diaper blow-outs at inconvenient times.

IMG_0497

Big day at duPont Hospital.  I’m waiting until all the results are in to list them here on the blog.  We met some pretty special people this time.  Maybe I’ll have time five years from now to write about it, tee hee!

IMG_0477

Sweet little doodle goes grocery shopping~

IMG_0512

Favorite place to chill out~

IMG_0491

A couple of our older boys did farm chores for our friends last weekend and brought home large quantities of fresh milk and eggs.

Can you believe that all this rice pudding was gone in less than two days?

IMG_0487

This pot holds five gallons.  The rice pudding hardly made a dent in the quantities of milk in our refrigerator.  Some of the rest is destined for homemade ice cream for Verity’s birthday party.  Yes, she’s still a non-dairy girl, but we’ll give her a few small tastes for the occasion.

IMG_0488

In the church nursery.  With a little help, Tommy did very well during the meeting time.

IMG_0553

Stephen loves his new brother with complete, innocent acceptance, and is just as demonstrative with Tommy as he is with Katie.

IMG_0556

It was a joy to finally introduce Tommy to some of our good friends.

IMG_0555

We left the house bright and early to travel to the Shriner’s Hospital for Children in Philly.  Our driver was a kindly older gentleman who’s made the trip with many families over the past dozen years.

IMG_0557

Laura’s teaching Tommy, “Give me five!

IMG_0560

“Dobro momche!  Good boy!”

IMG_0559

“High five!”

IMG_0558

Best thing about our day at Shriner’s was meeting up briefly with another adoptive mom.  Thank you, C, for your hastily-assembled care package; it ministered to us.

Tommy had his breakfast on the way to the city and his lunch on the way back to our pretty little corner of the country.  It was a time-saver that I could feed him on the way.  If I’m not doing at least three things at once, you know, I feel that I’m being somewhat wasteful.  I’ve learned to nurse Ben while feeding two children and eating my own meal.

This is how Tommy takes his liquids.

IMG_0574

Another blessing of having a driver–riding next to my new boy.

IMG_0570

We get to watch Tommy’s atrophic skin heal over the next year or so, just as we did Katie’s.  It’s rewarding to make him protein-rich, nutrient-dense meals and see him begin to prefer it to baby food.  He’s already gained a pound and a half.

IMG_0584

My other new boy.  He did this during most of the morning, thank the Lord.  His calm disposition minimizes the traveling circus effect.

IMG_0571

Tonight during our family Bible Time, Laura told us she was thankful to be able to go along to Philly.  She enjoyed her four quiet hours to read and a new and interesting experience in return for her help.

IMG_0575

We know we’re getting close to home when we’re surrounded by Amish farmland.

IMG_0580

Sweetheart~

IMG_0577

P. S.  No photos of this, but the best part of Tommy’s first week home was introducing him to Grandpa, Grandma, Grandpop, and Grandma S.  Thank you all for loving our boy!  We love you!

18 Responses to “Random photos from Tommy’s first week home”

1. Nicole says:

great glimpse of Tommy’s new life !!
    Lovely to see the other brothers and sisters !
    Bon courage !

2. Gina in Spain says:

THANK YOU for taking the time to update and with so many great pics….Susanna, I can not even FATHOM how busy you must be…and tired….You amaze me as does your family….. HUGS….

3. Oh what a wonderful life.  I know you are busy but so very blessed as well.  We are that way here as well.  By the way….we live on a small farm with dairy goats!!  Right now I am getting 2 gallons a day that I have to find uses for.  One can make so many things from milk.  I make farm house cheese all the time with just vinegar.  God is so good.  I loved seeing all the wonderful pictures of your family.  Tommy seems to have slipped right in so well.  God is so very good.  They are all precious.  Truly the precious life the bible talks of.

4. Becky K. says:

When I mentioned to Jonathan that I love seeing these photos he said I sound like a stalker.  I informed him that I am a “friendly stalker”.  :-)
    I’m seeing Verity becoming more outgoing.  It is fun to see her independence with walking.  Hurray on the ability to drink water without thickener!!!
    Katie’s smile makes my day!!
    Tommy is so very precious.  I was beyond delighted to meet him on Sunday.  Seriously.  God is so good!

5. Cinderellamommy says:

Beautiful, precious, blessed family! :) Laura

6. MamaV says:

Tommy looks pretty happy to be a Musser! Praise God!

7. sabrina says:

I’m in tears as I see Tommy at home…he definitely looks like a well-loved son and member of the family. Sweet former orphan…now loved and treasured and having new experiences and good care.  So good to see Katie doing so well and Verity too. The other children are beyond precious. You are so blessed to have Laura and Jane…my older daughters bless me in countless ways.  Love, love, love this post!

8. Melissa says:

Tommy looks a little suspicious of Shriner’s…like “Hmm, I dunno…” It is so wonderful to see Tommy with the family. It really does look like he was the missing puzzle piece, supposed to be there all along!

Katie cracks me up. She is another awesome one. Amazing.

Your family is just so sweet (even if they did hoover up the rice pudding! I’d join you, just so it’s rice and not tapioca…blecch!).

9. Holly says:

Seeing Tommy home brings tears to my eyes.  Love it!  The brothers being dressed alike is super cute.  I down pudding like that too – but now that I think about it, it’s mostly liquid, and we’re supposed to consume about “8 glasses” a day, right?  :)
    Laura, job well done.  Love well given.  :)

10. Hannah S says:

So wonderful to see all these pictures. THANK you for taking the time to post them!!
    Curious, Susanna- what do you use for thickener?

11. Deanna says:

It was great to meet him at church Sunday!  What a joy to see another precious Musser boy in the row ahead of us!

12. Colleen says:

Thank you for posting this update along with all the photos! Everyone looks good, praising our Lord. Praying for you.

13. Kim says:

Thank you so much for posting these pictures!  I’m always dumbfounded, there just aren’t words.  Thank You, Father!

14. Louisa says:

Love, Love, Love seeing the pictures and progress…thanks for including us on your journey…remember the hills of Lancaster County…spent many happy days there growing up and in college!  Enjoy…

15. connie says:

Thank God for the freedom to homeschool.  I know Laura loves going along to help, because my kids always, always loved the long travel days.  I was always surprised, but I guess it’s just a way to have a completely different kind of day.  I always hoped it was like going on a day vacation, picnicking, etc, … and it really was.

16. Kim says:

Now I can see from these pictures you like less toys with nice quality and play value.  I’m searching for new tactile  art supplies for when Nellie comes home (the first step to learning braille is great tactile discrimination).  I would love to see a shot of your toys (if I can be so bold as to request a blog post :)  Maybe others are as crazy (obsessive) as I am about ideas to help children learn while playing?
    Your house looks like fun!! And that boy (s)!! Oh be still my heart :)

17. Jessica says:

We are recent followers of your blog, and loved the two recent family updates just as we loved following your journey to bring Tommy home earlier this month. So many congratulations are in order: for new little Benjamin, for Tommy, for the growth and progress of Verity and Katie. and for all of your children – from the youngest little ones to your older ones, they are all so precious. What a beautiful example your family is to others. Thank you for taking the time to share your stories. They are beyond inspiring and such a testament to God’s love and what it means to serve Him, the value of human life, and the importance of adoption. God bless.

18. What a blessing it is to see some of the daily activities surrounding your newest additions. We are adopting “Jeremy” from EU and may need to bring our youngest with us b/c I am still nursing. It seems like “too much” sometimes….but I am constantly reminded that there is no such thing as too much love…..even if it is a bit chaotic at times. :) Thanks so much for your blog!!