Fruit that will last

June 26th, 2013

“He will swallow up death forever, and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces;
The rebuke of His people He will take away from all the earth;
For the LORD has spoken.

And it will be said in that day:
“Behold, this is our God;
We have waited for Him, and He will save us.
This is the LORD;
We have waited for Him;
We will be glad and rejoice in His salvation.”

Three years ago it was that the adventure began in earnest.

“…it looks like God has chosen to set our feet on a different path from any we have ever walked before.”

IMG_0706

“I know that He designed this little one especially for our family, and that there are things He wants us to learn that He knows we would not have learned in any other way.”

Verity - Copy (2)

“[Joe] told me that for all the years that we’d had the name Verity, meaning ‘truth,’ chosen for our next daughter, he’d had an idea in the back of his mind that this child’s story would not be ordinary.”

IMG_0370

“He wondered if it would be a picture to us of how Truth and this present world cannot peacefully co-exist.”

IMG_0371

“He said that while we have talked about adopting children that nobody else wants, God knew that he probably would not ever have had the courage to take the first step.”

IMG_0374

“Maybe this was God’s way of preparing our family to do that someday.”

IMG_0375

“…it struck me that this new adventure that God was providing for us would fill up gaps in our other children’s training that we could not have filled ourselves.”

IMG_0509

“This little Verity, with all her special challenges, was going to be a blessing!  A TRUE BLESSING!  From the hand of our loving Father!!!”

IMG_0521

“My heart could feel the joy coming…”

IMG_0522

“…I was hearing and reading and soaking in the truth…”

IMG_0523 - Copy

“…and now my feelings were beginning to follow the truth!”

IMG_0530

“We are watching Him work out His will, little step by little step, with our small, incapable hands in His big ones.”

IMG_0534

“We are beginning to get little glimpses of how He has prepared us for this time.”

IMG_0535

“You know, I have prayed so often for things that only God in His grace can work in a human heart.”

IMG_0603 - Copy

“I’ve prayed that He would humble me, no matter what it takes…”

IMG_0608

“…and that He would manifest Himself, His glory, through me and through our family.”

IMG_0610

“I’ve prayed to want what He wants instead of my own agenda.”

IMG_0614

“I’ve prayed that God would not give us any success that we would take the credit for.”

IMG_0615

I’ve prayed these things in (reckless!) faith…”

IMG_0622

“…knowing that they are the will of God for His people…”

IMG_0623

“…and that the tool He usually uses is pain.”

IMG_0625

Now I am praying that the little seed in the ground (my SELF) would die…”

IMG_0632

“…and that He would bring forth much fruit.”

IMG_0656

Verity at three years old~

Verity talking: I~

Verity talking: II~

Verity talking: III~

Verity talking: IV~

[Verity, how old are you?]

IMG_0658

“You did not choose me,
but I chose you and appointed you
so that you might go and bear fruit
—fruit that will last—
and so that whatever you ask in my name
the Father will give you.”

36 Responses to “Fruit that will last”

1. Kim says:

Happy Birthday, Verity!!!  I love it~definitely lasting fruit.

2. Colleen says:

Happy Birthday, Verity! Sweet girl.

3. Nicole says:

your children are so sweet… I admire the gentleness of your elder daughter…
    looks like she will be a  great adult !!! (teacher ?)
    Joyeux anniversaire  Verity !!!

4. Terri White says:

Happy, happy birthday, sweet Verity!!  What a precious blessing she has been to so many!

5. OH Susanna I just wept with JOY over this post! Beautiful and so heart touching! Happy Birthday precious Verity! Since my daughter Joy is in Heaven I have “adopted” Verity and Lily as my girls and I weep with JOY as I see them grow! Thank You for posting this! I hear God’s voice in your words. (((BIG HUGS))) and much LOVE to your whole family from all of us!!!

6. Becki says:

Penblwydd Hapus Verity!

7. Julie says:

Happy Birthday Verity!!

8. Deanna says:

Happy Birthday Verity!  It’s a joy to see you grow!

9. MamaV says:

Thank you for sharing your story! Today I am praising God for Verity and the cascading effect that she has had on your life and the lives of so many others. I pray that she will continue to be a blessing to everyone around her for a long, long time!
    Love you!

10. Galit says:

Happy Birthday, Verity!

11. Rachel says:

Happy Birthday sweet Verity!! It seems not long ago at all we were praying so fervently about her heart surgery and now look how big she is!

12. Suzanne says:

Happy Birthday Verity!!! What a beautiful little blessing you are!!

13. Rachel says:

Happy Birthday, Big Girl! She is so very, very beautiful. What a squeezable Truth! :)

14. Warriorbride says:

Happy Birthday, precious Verity!!! O, the incredible ways the Father has used you, and you are completely unaware!  You surely are a blessing, sweet little big girl!

Susanna, I could seriously sit and watch your family videos ALL DAY! Thank you for sharing these and please keep in mind – it is ALWAYS okay to share your videos!  I love them all!

15. Missy says:

Oh, I loved hearing her little voice say those picture names. Is she using signs too? She has grown up so much and so well.
    Keeping all of you in my prayers.

16. Cinderellamommy says:

Love to all & happy birthday, precious, sweet, Verity! :) Laura B.

17. Linda says:

Thank you so much for taking precious time to update us all on Verity (and letting us have a glimpse of other members of your lovely family), it is very much appreciated. Happy 3rd birthday sweet Verity!

18. Cindy W. says:

Happy 3rd Birthday Verity!!!  How precious to see her development and the development of a broader horizon for your family and one that has certainly influenced many others, around the world.  Praise be to God   Thank you for sharing such personal glimpses into your lives

19. Tami says:

((((awwwww!!))))) Doll baby!  Happy Birthday Verity!   –Loved seeing her do the necklace across her neck–  :D

20. MollyB says:

What a precious precious gem she is!!!  I love the videos!!!  Happy Birthday Verity!!!!

And now I’m even more eager to get to the point in our adoption when we can go bring our sweet boy home!

21. Cheryl says:

Happy Birthday to sweet little Verity:)

22. Shana says:

My heart just died at those videos!

23. Verity is just SO CUTE!  And she’s so smart too. (that’s coming from a Speech Path. )  I can tell your whole family works to help eachother out.  I wish there were more families like yours.

24. Beth says:

Happy Birthday Verity!  What a big girlyou are!

25. Crystal says:

Your daughters are just beautiful….as is the rest of your family. :)  You have been a blessing to me!!  Happy Birthday, Sweet Verity!!!

26. Precious! Precious!  Precious!  Oh this just made my day!  Happy Birthday Verity! God is awesome.  Seeing Him working in your family is so encouraging and uplifting.  Thank you so much for sharing it all.  This life, this precious life, is an amazing walk isn’t it?  I see miracles daily too.  I fall into bed at night knowing that all that got done that day. All the kids can do.  All the blessings.  It is all God.  I am so glad to be His instrument and so privileged to be witness to it all.  His hand at work.  God be with you and blessings on you all.

27. Alex says:

Verity is growing up, she looks so much older in these pictures! She so beautiful! Happy birthday sweet girl!

28. Jen says:

Happy Birthday!  I love reading your blog because I grew up in Morgantown and now live in Maryland.  I think of your family every time we travel home on Rte 222 through Lancaster!  In fact, it looks like you’re grocery shopping at BRL!??  That’s a favorite frugal stop of mine when we’re home.  Many blessings to your sweet family!

29. Anna T says:

Happy 3rd Birthday precious Verity!
    I am so glad that God brought our families together through the Ds “sisterhood”.  Hopefully we can get together in late July/early August?  We would love to check out Daniel’s Den or another local spot to play.
    ((Hugs)), prayers and lots of love!

30. Kim says:

Verity!! What a gift you are!! A gift from our Father to bless your family.  They are so very lucky.

On another note – Susanna is that a LOLLIPOP in that girl’s mouth?  I hope it was organic :):):) (Please hear the gentle teasing in my typing….)

Kim, I KNEW you were going to say something about that lollipop, I am not kidding! Yes, a lollipop! The very first lollipop Verity ever had in all her three years and the nice ladies at the bank were very pleased to give it to her! They have been reading about her on the blog and had never met her in real life. It made Verity extremely happy to finally meet a lollipop in real life after seeing it on her flashcards for two years. I am sure that blessed lollipop added to the positive side of her emotional health balance and therefore I have NO doubt that she is a healthier girl today because we let her experience it. :D :D :D And that’s the story of Verity and the “inorganic” lollipop, tee hee! (I hope you hear the teasing in my tone as well!)

Jen, yes, BB’s store in Quarryville (Bents, Dents, and Bunch of Bargains) has saved us an untold sum over the 20 years since we’ve been married, and all the more now that we have 15 mouths to feed. Just today Joe came home with a couple bags full of wonderful veggie and fruit smoothies for $1 a bottle. :)

Anna, let’s do it! Emailing you next, with calendar in hand…

34. Jen says:

Susanna-I didn’t know there was a BBs in Quarryville!  May have to check it out.  We go to the BBs in Morgantown almost every trip home.  So glad you were able to find lots of bargains!  :-)

35. Happy birthday, precious Verity!!!!!!!  You are one very blessed little girl.

36. Elli Zurowski says:

Happy birthday Verity! God bless you, precious one!!