While we wait…

May 9th, 2013

Wait for our travel dates to bring Tommy home…

Wait to see what our oldest son Joseph decides about traveling with us…

Wait to find out the results of the closed hearing regarding the former director of the Pleven baby house…

Wait with many adopting friends through long delays…

Wait with hope and prayers to see whether this little Brandi-girl has a family…[oh Lord, may it be so!!]

Bonnie6-450x450

While we wait for things to come, may I share a little of our present joy?

He’s eating well and sleeping well, and so am I.  He’s growing, I’m shrinking.  <Aaaaah>  All is as it should be.

IMG_0033

We find it remarkable that such a very new and miniature person comes forth with such a knowing look and so sure of himself.

IMG_0063

He’s curious, a people person, and focuses on our faces as though he’s reading us through and through.

IMG_0056

He’s a master of expressive faces.  But he cries rarely and reluctantly, as though it’s not his native language and must be forced.  And only as a last resort.

IMG_0061

He first smiled at me at five days old, and he’s practiced his smile a little every day since then, a response of delight to my delight in him.

IMG_0065

He looks like he belongs to this family.  But none of our other babies looked just like Benjamin.  He has his very own face and his very own personality.

And that is our Benjamin.  Our present joy.

IMG_0071

And maybe next time, I’ll have some of the news we’ve been waiting for!

25 Responses to “While we wait…”

1. Mary Winslow says:

Wonderful Susanna! Thanks for sharing while you are waiting!

2. Gail K. says:

Benjamin is absolutely adorable. I love his hair! I am trying to get pictures together of Ana to send with you. I’ll let you know when I send them. Thanks again!

3. Jane says:

Benjamin, like each person in your beautiful family, is a precious gift from God.  Thank you for sharing his beauty and your joy with us while you wait!  (and we wait!!)

4. Joan says:

Susanna,
    You didn’t happen to get that brown Wild West sleeper out of one of the boxes we brought, did you? It’s makes me really happy to see it even if it isn’t ours. It brings back precious memories of our Adam at birth! Glad to see things are going so well with Ben and the rest of the family!
    Joan

5. Deb W says:

Total sweetness! Congratulations! Praying for the wait!

6. Elizabeth says:

Brandi maybe, possibly having a family!?!? That would be absolutely the most wonderful news! And what a beautiful picture of her.

And what a sweetheart your little Benjamin is.

7. Jill says:

Congratulations on your new addition! He is absolutely beautiful.  Thanks for sharing pictures of him!

8. The look of his eyes so intent on his mamma as you hold him is priceless! Such JOY!! (((HUGS))) And many many Praises of thanksgiving to God!

9. Warriorbride says:

Awww, thank you for posting those pictures of your precious, snuggly, fuzzy, yummy, edible little guy!  That pic of you holding him brought tears to my eyes. I love seeing you with your babies, Susanna!  So heartwarming!  He looks so much like a Musser yet, like you said, with a face and personality all his own. I’m delighted to hear how well he and you are doing. Love you.

10. Melissa says:

Our youngest foster child is 1 month old tomorrow! :) He and Benjamin share many of the same looks. Ours is also practicing his smile and his eyes are open much more of the time than when we got him at six days old.  The other day he was staring intently at my mom’s cat, as if to say “Now what do you suppose THAT is?” LOL…He is a bit fussier than Ben but is still rather mellow. If he’s crying he’s usually got a good reason. :)
    Benjamin is so cute! He definitely looks like the family :)

11. Rebekah says:

Oh, what a precious boy!  Thank you for sharing his sweet pictures!!!

12. Rebekah D. says:

He is so incredibly cute.   :)  What an indescribable blessing.

Joan, I’m sure it was Adam’s, and when we’re finished with it, it will head to Pl3v3n. :) We’ll save the bulk of luggage space for larger kids’ clothing, sizes 2T to 4/5T, since we found out that they get plenty of baby clothing donated to them but not much bigger clothing. But it will all get there one way or another!

Melissa, I would LOVE to see photos of your cutie if you don’t mind emailing some to me! I’ll keep them confidential! susanna@theblessingofverity.com

15. Robin says:

Congratulations on your beautiful blessing!!  Prayers for you and your family while you wait!

16. molly b says:

What a beautiful blessing Benjamin is!!  And what a sweet phase of life you are in.  I bet you are just soaking it all up!!

17. Lorena says:

Thanks for taking the time to share those sweet, sweet photos of Benjamin!  So eager, too, to “meet” Tommy and watch him grow into your family.  On waiting – just this morning I shared Oswald Chambers’ words to our moms’ group:  “Patience is more than endurance…. For what have you need of patience just now?  Maintain your relationship to Jesus Christ by the patience of faith…. Faith is … robust confidence built on the fact that God is holy love.  You cannot see Him just now, you cannot understand what He is doing, but you know Him. … Faith is  … [to] fling yourself in reckless confidence on God.”

God grant us all to trust Him patiently!

18. Lori says:

What a precious, beautiful baby Benjamin is!  I would bet that one never tires of holding him.  Wishing all of you continued blessings.

19. Vicki says:

Benjamin is adorable!
    Susanna, you mentioned taking clothes along with you to the orphanage. Is there anything specific you would like to take along with you to donate that will still fit in your suitcase? I still have my girls clothes from when they were that size, and I would like to do something useful with them if you can use more.

Hi Vicki! Thanks for asking! Yes, I’d love to take summer clothes in those sizes, 2T up to 4/5T, especially on the larger end, any everyday children’s clothing in good condition that’s easy to put on and off, i.e. pullover and snap shirts rather than lots of buttons, elastic-waist shorts rather than button/zipper ones, that sort of thing. Also, no super dressy/formal clothes. PJs are always welcome as well as large waterproof, absorbent bibs. I can fit more in if the clothes aren’t really bulky. Thanks, Vicki, and it would be fun to see you again! :)

21. Stephanie Blanchard says:

He makes my ovaries ache.  Lainey is currently praying for #6.  Julianne is still praying for a girl…  Guess we’ll see!

22. Jennifer says:

What a beautiful, beautiful baby. Congratulations! In this season of waiting for so many things, God has certainly given you a blessing of hope fulfilled. :) So happy for you and your family, and so excited for Tommy to come home, too!
    – Jennifer @ http://www.fromhouse2home.us

23. Maureen says:

He’s just precious!!! (And you are sooo much more patient a wait-er than me, lol!!!)
    Absolutely praying for sweet Brandi too!

24. April says:

He is just gorgeous! I can’t get over how alert he is for such a little guy!!! Thank you so much for sharing pictures :)

25. Kristi says: