Tommy, here we come!

May 16th, 2013

YES, YES, YES!!!

YES, we have received our official travel dates!

YES, Joseph decided to travel with us!

And YES, God is timing this perfectly, as He can always be trusted to do!

Not only did I get two solid weeks to rest from Benjamin’s birth before life picked up pace again, but…

We’d kept the first two weeks of June free and made medical appointments for Tommy during the second half of June and beyond.

Now we’ll get the first week of June to pack.

And the second week of June…???

WOOOO-HOOOOO!!!  Breaking that boy OUT of the orphanage and bringing him HOME!!!

Did you know?

A friend of mine was visiting her child in Tommy’s orphanage during the first week of June last year.  I asked if my friend could inquire about Tommy while she was in his orphanage.  We thought he might be about ten years old, and wanted to find out his legal status if possible.  Was he registered for adoption?  If not, maybe we could help get that ball rolling for him.  We didn’t qualify to adopt that year, but since he had time and we needed time, maybe, just maybe, in a few years…

I described Tommy to my friend and she in turn described him to the orphanage staff.  They took her first to one boy and then to another.  None of them was Tommy.

I emailed her Tommy’s photo.

With one day to spare…

June 7, 2012~

“Hi Susanna,

Ok, we found him–we just went to the head nurse and she sent us right to him.  I took my laptop this afternoon so we could identify the boy in the picture you sent.  (We told her that to get the file from the government we needed his date of birth.)   She called ahead and gave them permission to let us see him.

He will be 16 next March, so if there’s a family they will have to move quickly.”

Shock.

Crushing finality.

Immediate, enormous, heaving, gut-wrenching raw grief…

Oh God!  Send him a mother who loves him as much as I do!

Determination to advocate for him until God sent him a family…and they needed to love him, not just desire to save him from an adult mental institution…horrific as these human dumping grounds are…

Did you know?

The day we bring Tommy home for the first time in his life is an anniversary.  Check out the date on this post.

June 15, 2012~

URGENT:  The boy with the million-dollar smile

Did you know?

A few weeks after writing that post, I sent an email to a friend inquiring about adopting Tommy.

Read it and marvel with us.

July 4, 2012~

“K—-, how wonderful to hear from you!

Have you seen the Youtube video from June, 2011, with Tommy on it? That was our second look at Tommy, the first being the photos and video our friend S—- took of him when she went to his orphanage in March of 2011.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I cannot watch him without a terrible ache in my heart, as I had hoped so much he would be ours. He is absolutely a precious, gentle, pleasant, beautiful soul. I saw him in his bed when I first visited his orphanage. He was on the top floor, and at that time was in the next room to V——-, literally on the other side of the wall from her.

Just lying in his bed.

He responded to me with his huge, bright eyes when I leaned over his crib and talked to him. I had NO idea he was so old.

I saw him again in his orphanage a few months later. Have you seen the photo of him sitting on his baba’s lap?  If you look at the edge of that photo of him, you can see the corner of my black coat. I could hardly walk away, knowing it may be the last time I ever get to see him again. I felt like I was abandoning him.

IMG_3215

He is such a treasure and my heart will stay broken that we cannot be his family. I am jealous for him, and pray that any family who adopts him will do it because they love this treasure with all their hearts!

Thanks for listening and caring, K—-, and for all you are doing to look into adopting him. All my hope for him is pinned on God, and I don’t want you to feel pressure from me that you have to choose Tommy. I am trusting God to lead you and pleading with Him to rescue Tommy, and I know He will do what He deems best.

Love,
Susanna”

Oh, the joy.

Oh, the abundant goodness of God.

January 10, 2013~

2013-01-10 054

35 Responses to “Tommy, here we come!”

1. lizzie says:

WOHOO!!!  Praising God!

2. Mandy says:

Yay!!! I love how God answered prayers! Can’t wait to see him home with his family!

3. sabrina says:

Oh, tears of joy to read back over your path to Tommy. I am so very happy you will be going to get him soon. Read over your last post too and seeing Benjamin and Tommy in these posts is such a clear picture of the blessings that God pours down on us when we are open to being blessed.

4. Valerie says:

The Lord calls you to the CUTEST kids. Tommy is so handsome!

5. Aunt Carol says:

Praise the Lord!  So happy for you, your family and Tommy.

6. laurie hebbe says:

Yes!  So happy for you all!  Can’t wait to see him OUT!

7. Megan says:

I am so happy for you and Tommy! I looked at those picture and they made my heart hurt. :(

8. Becky K. says:

Just amazing…this God we serve.  Amazing!  happy sigh.

9. Catherine says:

well, there you go: you brought me to tears, happy happy tears. We’re so full of joy for all of you. Can’t wait to see you all together soon.

10. YEAH!!  God’s timing is perfect!  Thank you for sharing those emails with us so we could praise God with you.  Can’t wait to see Tommy blossoming at home, in his family’s loving embrace.  :-)

11. Michele says:

So THRILLED for you and your family!  I can’t wait for him to be home with his family who loves him. :)

12. molly b says:

Whooooo hoooooo!!!! YAY!!!!  Wonderful news and I love God’s timing. :)
    Beautiful post, Susanna!!

13. Deanna says:

God gave you the LOVE for that boy – this precious boy you called Tommy!  He made you his mommy long before you knew it was possible to be….God is so amazing!

So excited that Joseph is going along…we will be happy to help with Laundry again!  Just let us know where and when!

14. Mary Winslow says:

This is awesome! Just awesome! Praising the Lord with you and His perfect timing! God is soooo good! I’m looking at my Tommy candle right now and rejoicing with you!

15. Missy says:

I just looked over at the prayer picture of Tommy, I have here, and said “You’re coming home soon, baby!” I am so excited. It is going to be a exciting summer!

16. MamaV says:

Hooray! Thanks be to God, who gives the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ!!!

17. Rebekah says:

PRAISE THE LORD!!!
    I am so happy for you and for Tommy!  I have been praying for you.
    May the Lord continue to bless your family.

18. LaurieS says:

oh, my heart!!  tears streaming here……. tears of joy….. a joy that makes my chest ache… that make my heart flutter.  Sweet, sweet Tommy…….. they are coming!!!!  Thank you Jesus

19. Colleen says:

The fact that you will be picking him up on the anniversary of that blog post gives me chills. God cares about the details. He is so good to us! Praising the Lord with you today, Susanna!
    For three months, I have been in prayer for a little one I named Samuel. He is eighteen months old and I just learned today that in a week or two he will be placed in a family! And his mother is a friend of a friend, so I will likely get to meet this little soul! I am so grateful.

20. Gina in Spain says:

YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )))))))

21. Elli Zurowski says:

This is awesome, Susanna!! God’s kindness and love is overwhelming. :) I am praying for each one of you!

22. Jodi says:

Susanna!  What absolutely perfect timing!  I am so excited for you all.  Praise the Lord that Joseph is able to go with you.  He seems like he will be quite a blessing as a travel companion!  Praying for you as you prepare to go.

23. Tami says:

YAY!!!  Words fail here!
    So glad you have help going with you, too.  :D  (We’ll be coming along in spirit!!!)
    Lots of prayers for you all!  Can’t wait to follow along as this unfolds.

24. CINDY says:

Rejoicing with you all, so glad it’s all coming together and will pray that travel and adjustments go smooth for each of you.  Nothing’s been said- will he be able to come direcly to your home without hospitalization like Katie needed??

25. Ginger says:

Absolutely ecstatic here! God’s timing is so perfect. How gracious He is!

Cindy, good question and will be answered in a post! Thanks for asking!

27. Robin says:

Wonderful!!!!  So thrilled for you and your family!!!!  Praying!!!!

28. Cinderellamommy says:

Praise The Lord!!! So happy for you all!

29. Amy says:

Amazing! God is so good.

30. Jenny O (from momys) says:

Yay!! Go get him him!!  Praise God! :-). We are doing our online Hague training for our adoption, and I am always still amazed to hear how the majority of orphans placed in families, immediately make huge strides in physical growth.  I can only imagine the emotional and spiritual growth too!  And I don’t even understand the time and work it takes for the children and new families, as this growth happens.  I am excited to bring our little one home, someday too! So very happy for you, Susanna.

31. Nicole says:

great and wonderful news !
    Looking forward to share your journey and all the emotions !
    But why is Joseph coming ? Are you taking the baby ? (that would explain it ! ;)  )

Nicole, we could see many benefits both for us and for Joseph of having him with us for this trip. We left it up to him to decide whether he wanted to go, as he is paying his own airfare. We told him he would not regret going. Receiving the news of his decision was one of the best Mother’s Day gifts I’ve ever received! :)

And…I’m breastfeeding Benjamin, so where mama goes, baby goes, too!

33. Nicole says:

waouh ! You are a supermum ! This time you will not have a twisted ankle but a baby in your arms !
    Bravo !
    I suppose Joseph will remember this journey all his life !

Oh Nicole, no superwoman lives at our house! Breastfeeding a baby like Ben is by far the easiest option–way easier than bottles!