Katie’s DEXA scan results one year later

January 22, 2013 at 1:20 PM by Susanna

2013-01-22 001 2013-01-22 002

“This is Donna, returning your call.”

Nurse Donna casually read off the numbers from Katie’s January 2012 DEXA scan result first.  [To understand what the numbers mean, click on this link and read this post.]

-15.4

-10.8

-18.0

-15.2

-10.9

-19.7

Then she read the numbers from this year’s results.

After one year of following the bone-building regimen Dr. Strauss had prescribed for Katie–increasing amounts of weight-bearing with increasing amounts of movement, IV treatments, and therapeutic amounts of vitamin D, calcium, and protein, here are Katie’s January 2013 numbers.

-1.0

-4.2

-7.3

-1.9

-4.6

-8.0

I could hardly get the news out to Joe before my throat closed up.

Because her body responded so well to this treatment, Dr. Strauss is recommending one more year of the same protocol to see if we can’t bring her numbers fully into a healthy range by next January.

Praise God with us!!!!

Furthermore, the timing of this report could not have been better.  Nurse Donna is obligingly sending us copies of all the medical records they have for Katie.  This includes both bone density reports, Katie’s blood work results over the past year, and the prescribed protocol we’ve been following for her, so it can all be sent on as requested to her former orphanage.

Sweet girl!  Growing so big and so healthy!

2013-01-22 001 2013-01-22 001

Tags: , ,

33 Responses to “Katie’s DEXA scan results one year later”

1. Kara says:

Yay Katie! WTG beautiful girl!

2. kimberly says:

Amazing!  God is so good!  It’s so wonderful that her old orphanage is going to really SEE the data of how much she has improved.  So very happy to see Katie doing so well ;)

3. Susan says:

Wonderful news! Love the photo of Katie and her brother – they look like such good buddies.
    So glad those back at Katie’s old orphanage will receive these results – that should be a great help to the children still waiting there.
    Susan in KY
    Cousin to 2 from EE

4. Gail K. says:

Awesome news!!!!  Praise the Lord!

5. Valerie says:

I see Katie in her own ministry in 10 years.  People will be amazed by her story and she will lead them to Christ!! While it makes me sick to imagine what Katie went thru her first 9 years of life….it’s comforting to know all her years of suffering was not for nothing.

6. Amy says:

Absolutely amazing!! Way to go, Katie!! :)

7. sabrina says:

Wonderful! Praise God!!

8. Rebecca says:

It is *so* amazing that I’m speechless…but my soul is singing praise after praise to the Only name worthy of praise!  Oh my goodness…who could have ever imagined.  Father God, Your tender mercies blow me away sometimes!

9. Rebekah says:

Rejoicing with you! What a blessing, and how timely!

10. Crysta says:

Rejoicing! That is such wonderful news. God is Great!!

11. Elizabeth says:

Praise God!!! How wonderful!

12. Lea says:

Way to GROW girl!     And that smile is just amazing….just sayin’!
    That is unbelievable! If I didn’t know that our God is a God of miracles, I would have a hard time thinking this could even happen.  What a blessing!

Lea

13. Mary Winslow says:

Oh…this is such amazing news! Thank you for this super encouraging post! We’ll keep praying!
    The Winslow family

14. Becky K. says:

Praise God….He is blessing this daughter of His beyond anything she could ever have imagined.  And what is so wonderful is that she seems to somehow understand.  The joy in her says it all.

Thanks for sharing!!

15. Elizabeth A. says:

I was just thinking about Katie’s bones yesterday and wondering if you’d gotten the results from the DEXA scan.  Those numbers are nothing short of miraculous!

16. Shirley says:

Aw, those pants.. too cute! Thank you so much for sharing this – I always think of your Katie as Our Lord’s ambassador for orphans everywhere. What a special honour to be chosen for such a ministry…. and what a job she’s done!

17. Becki says:

Praise the Lord! What beautiful news. Becki x

18. Claire says:

Oh congratulations Katie!
    I have found a set of computer games that I think you will like and be able to play too! I think Verity and Tommy will like them too. http://www.northerngrid.org/content/senswitcher/index.htm They are all controlled by the space bar or mouse click and make simple animations with sounds appear. You can even change the length and colours.

19. Melissa C. says:

Katie just blows me away. Actually, Katie and her Papa God! =D What wonderful news. Will keep this smiling little chickie in my prayers!

20. Deanna says:

What great news Susanna!

21. Lois J. says:

Katie is so beautiful! I have such a heart for Down Syndrome children because I had an aunt who was also one of God’s special children. Now she is a lucky angel. So happy for the good news, too!

22. LisaL says:

What wonderful news!!!  I can’t believe how much she has changed over the past year!!

23. Carol says:

What wonderful news and what a glorious smile!

24. Holly D. says:

Praising God for Katie’s results. I am so excited for her.

25. Emily H says:

Oh Katie girl, that is so amazing! Praise God for the strong, fighting spirit He placed in your heart. I am so excited for what this news means to SO many sweet treasures. Thank you for sharing all these details with us Susanna, it shows Gods hand SO clearly!

26. Kim says:

Praise HIM!
    Oh Susanna, what JOY!

27. Kim says:

Praise our Father!!! Isa 66:14 And when ye see this, your heart shall rejoice, and your bones shall flourish like an herb: and the hand of the LORD shall be known toward his servants, and his indignation toward his enemies.

28. laurie says:

He is good!  Thankful for precious Katie!

29. Gina in Spain says:

Wonderful news, wonderful Katie, wonderful family!! : )))

30. Andrea says:

Susanna,   I am in tears reading this!  What an amazing God we have!  Having watched Katie from the beginning, it is such a blessing to see her standing up on her own!!!  Wow wow wow!

Andrea-

31. Tami says:

wow – Wow – and WOW!!!  What wonderful news!  We praise the Lord with you.

32. Tami Ann Swaim says:

That’s so wonderful.  Yes, praising God with you.  I really hope that God will use our family one day to save a person like this.  Comparing what could have been Katie’s destiny to what it is now is just mind staggering.  If every Christian family in the whole world would adopt just one child at least, each would there still be orphan?  My friend in Poland who adopted 2 kids from the Polish home had brought that up one day.

33. Stephanie B. says:

Somehow I missed this one!  PRAISE JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Dr. Strauss has been an amazing resource for your family.  Can’t wait to see what another year does!

We’d love to hear from you!