Home

January 13th, 2013

After hilarious travel adventures that could best be described as a comedy of errors involving weather delays and the need for speed while stuck helplessly in a wheelchair pushed by a non-energetic American who did not understand or speak more than a few words of English and didn’t know her way around (and around, and around) the Newark airport, I missed my final flight home by five minutes.  After receiving fair warning via gestures and the words, “Tired!  Tired!  Why?  Why?  Tired!”  I was unceremoniously dumped off at a random location to fend for myself with my luggage and crutches already on the plane home and my friend in another unknown area of the airport!

I think the wheelchair transport lady may have been uneasy about my mental state because of the laughter that burst forth from me at unexpected times?

All was eventually righted, and after a few more hours with my friend, who has become very dear to me, Joe drove to my rescue and we arrived home in the wee hours of this morning.  I fell very soundly asleep in my own bed twenty-eight hours after the alarm woke me up in the hotel in Tommy’s country.

Home.

Home…with videos, hundreds of photos, and a story I’m eager to tell.

Home…with my husband and children to connect with again!  Verity was on emotional overload at first, but after a long nap together this afternoon, she is melting into me again as if we had never been apart.  Katie’s response was precious!  She hadn’t shown any outward signs of missing me, and that’s what we had expected, but she delighted my heart with her huge smiles and giggles, grabbing onto me, making kissing sounds, and saying, “Ma!”

It’s so good to be home again, but now with a new understanding of the needs in Tommy’s orphanage, a vision for my purpose in this story, and grateful satisfaction at everything we saw God accomplish last week.

Thank you, friends, so much, for your patience and your earnest prayers.  I’ll be back to tell you more, Deo volente.

2013-01-10 002 2013-01-10 039

15 Responses to “Home”

1. Carol says:

I’m so glad to hear you finally made it home. It’s precious to hear Katie’s reaction to seeing her mama again. :) Make sure you take the time you need to rest and reconnect with your family. We’ll love hearing more about your week, of course, but we can wait.

2. Rachel says:

can’t wait to hear more! I have been checking this blog obsessively the past couple days! Glad youre home safe and with your family again, I can NOT wait to hear more of your story.

3. So glad you are home safe and sound.  Looking forward to hearing all about it after you rest up and your family has had you first.  I know the Lord has been working and I can’t wait to hear all about it!!

4. Rachel M says:

Praise the Lord you are home! What an ordeal, with a hurt foot too. Oh He is so mighty in our weakness!

5. Cinderellamommy says:

Welcome home!

6. Missy says:

I’ve been checking to see if you were home. Hooray, you’re back! So tickled that you got a Ma!

7. Warriorbride says:

You are so precious, Susanna. There is so much more I’d love to say and ask but that pretty much sums it up. I love you and am just in awe of what the Father is doing in and through you! You are a blessed, blessed woman!!

8. Susan says:

Weldome home! So glad your fine senses of humor and proportion helped make the trip less stressful than might have otherwise been the case, given the complications!
    I hope your foot heals in record time, and that the days will pass swiftly until you can return for sweet Tommy. Looking forward to reading more about your remarkable journey…

9. Maureen says:

WELCOME HOME!!!!! :) Loved hearing of Katie’s response (and Verity’s made Mr. P. & I chuckle!)

10. Helena says:

PTL! You got home safely! Just waiting to hear more about your trip. Thanks for your email Susanna, I’ll be waiting to hear more from you. So precious to hear how Verity and Katie reacted to your home coming. Now the wait is on till you can go get Tommy and bring him home, where he will blossom! Take care and God Bless you and your family!  – Helena

11. cindy says:

So glad you’re home safe and sound.  The girls responses are precious.

12. Kendra says:

Welcome Home! Sometimes all you CAN do is laugh…good medicine! Loved Katie’s response. :)

13. Kim says:

Welcome back!

14. Suvilla says:

Glad to hear you are home safe and sound!
    Your children are always a blessing to have around….we’re missing them already!
    Blessings as you get back to routine! we love you!

15. Colleen says:

Love the pic of you and your boy!!  Welcome home!