First day

January 8th, 2013

Many of you have written to tell me specifically how you’re praying.  Thank you so much; it is very needed!  We are seeing God say yes to those prayers.

The luggage should be arriving this afternoon, and we’re so thankful that our agency allowed my physical therapist friend to go into the orphanage yesterday on the strength of the notarized email copies, and because they had proof the luggage had actually arrived in this country and should eventually find its way here to Tommy’s city.

Yesterday was better in many ways and harder in many ways than we had guessed it would be.  It is so good to know that there are friends out there who are praying with us.

Tommy is not the hard part of this week!

2013-01-07 001 2013-01-07 009

2013-01-07 001 2013-01-07 024

39 Responses to “First day”

1. Sonya says:

Susannah! What a gorgeous, handsome son you have!  He is beautiful and I LOVE how he is making eye contact with you!  Oh what joy for y’all!  Praying God’s blessings will continue to be on you all.

2. katrina says:

He looks good, such a sweet picture of him in your arms.would love to hear more about the day.

3. Linda says:

How wonderful! Tommy looks so at home with you, and so much healthier than in previous photos! You must be over the moon.
    (PS I’m still experiencing ntermittent problems accessing your blog, both with Safari and Firefox, with differing messages).

4. Desi says:

Well, it certainly looks like this boy has settled up comfortably in his mamma’s lap…

5. Alexandra says:

What a handsome son you have, Susanna!  I am praying for both you and for Tommy as well as for the whole family as y’all step forward in this new chapter of your lives.  Tommy looks so comfortable in your lap — it’s clear to me that God always meant for him to be yours!

6. Amy says:

Words cannot describe how excited and thankful I am to see pictures of you and Tommy together!  What an answer to prayer!  Continuing to pray for each and every Musser.  I know that as happy as this day was for you, there are still so very many challenges.  You are being lifted up, sister!  As well as your crew here at home.  To God be the glory!

7. Mary Winslow says:

Dear Susannah!
    What a blessing to wake up and see these photos! I just LOVE that he is having eye contact with you! Soooooo precious! We are praying for you!

With Love,
    The Winslows
    NH

8. Deanna says:

Tommy looks great!
    Hurray that Laurie was able to go in with you.  Praying you already have luggage in hand!
    Trusting in Him who is at work,
    Deanna

9. Lydia says:

Susanna,  God is so good!  I am thrilled to finally see Tommy with his mama.

10. Audrey says:

What beautiful pictures!  It does my heart good!  I’m praying for your family.

11. Laurie says:

Oh My… I always smile when I write…I want to write OH Susanna!….hee hee…and always want to break into song!
    I am so so happy for you!  AND just look at that boy of yours! OH Father you have done wonderful things!
    praying for all that HE has in store for you all!
    love
    laurie

12. Becky says:

It may have been a mistake to open your blog while in a public cafe.  It made my eyes wet.
    Love you, Susanna.
    Tommy is absolutely precious!
    Praying!!

13. Jill B says:

What a blessing to see Tommy w/ his mama after so long. Praying for you all this week!

14. Robin says:

What wonderful pictures!!!  Continuing to pray for you!!!

15. Holly says:

It’s so good to see him looking at you!  I’m eager to hear more.  :)

16. Holly F says:

I love seeing Tommy with his Mama!!  Absolutely beautiful!

17. Hannah says:

It is so good to see Tommy bonding with you.  He is a handsome cutie!! I cant wait to see what the love of a family with do for his life.  Thank you for rescuing his precious life.

18. Janet says:

Oh, Susanna!  beautiful photos.

19. ElizabethG says:

I had Brandon look at the site today in a moment his fever had reduced ;)
    He said that there is a malignant javascript in the title of the guest post from a few days ago. He has some theories on how it got there that he could discuss with a technical minded person on your end in a few days, which would be especially important if your site is made custom and not by wordpress or another content management site. For now, the quickest easiest fix is to take down or make private the guest post.  If someone is able, you could leave that post up if you just change the title. He also says that if you make one more post, then the guest post would most likely move to a second page then visitors who came to your homepage wouldn’t see it anymore, but it would still be there on the second page. He thinks it works intermittently because the spammers have to keep changing servers as they get caught.

20. sabrina says:

The pictures of Tommy are great. What a handsome guy.
    I’m sorry to hear about the hard stuff. I’ll keep you in prayer all week!

21. Sarah says:

He’s in your arms…. tears.

22. cindy says:

Oh AMEN!!!!  He looks so much better and very comfortable with you PTL!

23. Missy says:

I’m so glad you are there. Tommy looks so much better and I am praying for his health and well being. I am struck by how happy you look as opposed to seeing Katie the first time. No shock this time. I’m excited to hear more.

24. Psalm127Mommy says:

How precious to see him with you!  MY heart is breaking over you leaving….I will be praying for the strength and peace of your heart.  Our prayers are with you – my kiddos couldn’t wait to see the pictures of him with you. :)

25. What sweet pictures, but it is going to break my heart knowing you have to leave him still.  Spring can’t come soon enough!

I’ve been praying for you!  He is looking better and he is looking at you!!  What a handsome little boy and I’m sure you can’t wait to bring him home to meet his brothers and sisters.

26. Valerie says:

Instantly moved to tears seeing mom and son together!  So VERY thankful to get to see this journey of bringing home Tommy.  I can still hardly look at Katie w/out tears welling up, now the same will be for Tommy. I can imagine how utterly pleased God must be today!!

27. Rebekah says:

What a beautiful son! I am so glad you are able to hold him!

ElizabethG, thank you, my friend! And please thank your husband for me! I removed the offending code from the title, and I’m hoping that worked. Can some of y’all send me feedback about whether or not you’re still having issues? Unless I get feedback, I can’t tell if there’s still a problem. Thanks so much!!

29. Jaclyn says:

Continued prayers for you!! I am so excited that you are there with Tommy. I hope you get to see all the other angels too :)

30. Susanna, I’m so glad to see a picture of you two together!  I’m so excited to hear all about the orphanage and the differences you see.
    I pray for you guys every day.  I would email you, but I’m sure you have your hands full.
    God bless and keep you all,
    Lisa

31. Susan says:

What a wonderful change in Tommy! He certainly is a handsome boy, and it’s clear he likes his mama – a lot! (I think that’s mutual…:-)). So thankful to see him looking healthy and well-cared for now – but there’s no place like home, and I’ll be thankful when Tommy is home with his family.
    As did others, I also had difficulty accessing your site this morning, but all seems well now at 6:28 p.m. EST. I think scammers seek out sites which receive lots of traffic, so having this happen was a rather backhanded compliment of sorts.
    I hope the lost luggage surfaces asap, and that the rest of your journey continues to go well.

32. Joni Owada says:

It absolutely warmed my heart to see you with your son!!! His expression seemed as if he already knew that he was yours!!! I am so thrilled for you and will pray that your luggage arrives very soon. I can’t put in words how excited I am for you!!!!! God bless your trip and I know that leaving him there will be so hard, but that God may comfort him until you come back for him the final time, very, very soon!!!! (and for your mama’s heart too)

33. Linda says:

No problems accessing your blog today :)

34. lizzie says:

Oh my goodness this is so precious!    Tommy looks so happy with you and you with him, it is beautiful.   Praying and praying some more xoxoxoxoo

35. Cinderellamommy says:

Oh, Susanna! {Laurie, you are not the only one who hums that song when you write that, haha.} the pictures are precious and the second one of Tommy looking at you melts this mama’s heart! Praise to God and prayers for continued goodness on the trip. :)

36. Cassandra says:

Perhaps the photo is deceiving. I realize that photos have a way of sanitizing things but Tommy looks perked up compared to an earlier photo.  I imagine that the caretakers attended to him a bit better knowing that he, Tommy, is not invisible any longer. Accountability is a good thing, apparently.
    Not that a single moment of true neglect (versus benign neglect, such as ignoring a whiny toddler) is justifiable but while my dd (dear daughter) did not experience the long suffering that Tommy has, it grieved me to recall that when she was born nobody celebrated her birth. Indeed, even naming her seemed too much of an effort for the Russians… Feeding her even seemed outside of their job description. But I digress.
    Many of us have had newborns and so we know it is not an exaggeration to say nothing this side of earth could separate us from him/her. Contrast that to the orphan’s experience. That said, one day quite unexpectedly, I realized that her birth was celebrated by the King of Kings himself! That she was not completely alone. Certainly not unwanted. Truly celebrated and a daughter of the King. Royalty. Maybe this insight will give you a measure of peace when it comes time to bid Tommy goodbye, for now. He’s been claimed.
    I will assume it would not be appropriate for you to mention the not-so-good parts of this trip thus far. Any mother, any country that is willing to relinquish their children for a better life should be applauded because who among does not find it painful to expose our weaknesses, right?  Allowing children to become part of a family is the right thing to do, ofcourse. I like to say that none of us are any happier than our least happy child. We are wired  like that.
    So I have a tip for readers. I normally get on to this site by googling, “Blessings of Verity.”  However, for Susanna’s past two posts when I tried to get on this site by using that link, I failed.  However, When I tried to get on this site via another blog(or pintrest), I was successful.  This has only been true since Susanna has been out of the country.
    Computers and medicine – both still part art, part science:)
    Yours on the Journey, Susanna and Company,
    Cassandra

37. Colleen says:

It is wonderful to see Tommy in your arms. :”’) Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!

38. Lori L says:

All smiles here as I see photos from your first day together!  So very heartwarming and precious!  Prayers being said for your intentions and for a memorable, safe, and successful trip!

39. Jane says:

What a glorious sight to see Tommy with his momma…so happy you have held him and loved him and you are with him.  Prayers for your health Susanna, as you navigate with two of your boys with/near you/  Take care of Tommy, your little one inside and yourself…praying for all to fall into place over and over.