The invisible curly-headed boy

October 27th, 2012

In all the conversations I’ve had with you, my dear readers, over the past few months, you have talked to me about Harvey, Brandi, Kramer, Garnet, Theodore, and Penny.

You have opened your hearts to me.  You have trusted me with the knowledge of your love for one or the other of these little ones.  You have declared that you are committed to praying for families for them.  Some of you have even shared with me your deep hopes that God would break down obstacles and bless your family with one of them.

But in all these months, throughout all these conversations, nobody has mentioned Chad.  Sometimes I would mention him, with no response.

The total silence was beginning to feel eerie.  Maybe there was some sort of weird blockage going on.  Maybe nobody could see his photos or see the words written about him.

I began to wonder…

And in one of my recent blog posts about the children, I asked you, Is anyone else out there specifically praying for a family for Chad?

Can anyone else out there see Chad?  Is anyone else caring about him?  I mean caring about the individual who is Chad, not just as another one of the Pleven children?  Is anyone else out there burdened for Chad’s life, and just haven’t yet voiced it to me?

Surely I cannot be the only one?

Is anyone else out there specifically praying for a family for Chad?

No answer.

So I still wonder.

Not…

Why doesn’t Chad have a family yet?

Just…

Can anyone else see this small curly-headed nine year old boy?  Has anyone else out there really seen him?

A young friend who recently visited the orphanage did see Chad!

She told me about their meeting!

As soon as I saw his name in her email, my heart leapt!

There’s precious Chad!  She saw him!  He’s not invisible after all!

“He is so tiny and adorable. He interacted with me, reached out for me, and even concentrated on looking at a book for a few seconds.  He has the best giggle ever :)  [He] was definitely interested and engaged in our interaction.”

I can’t believe his file has never been requested.”

I pray that his family finds him soon.”

The more obstacles I see in front of the waiting children, the more I expect to see God do great things on their behalf!

This weekend marks two years since our family first watched the Serbia video.  Two years since God first opened our eyes to the need of the little ones with special needs in Eastern Europe.  Two years since I quoted these words…

“Nothing exceeds thy power, nothing is too great for thee to do, nothing too good for thee to give.  I ask great things of a great God.”  ~The Valley of Vision

Friends, may I challenge you?

Please print out Chad’s photos and put them where you will see them every day!

Then pray with all your might that God will open the eyes and heart of the family He has chosen for this formerly invisible boy!

Friends, Chad is helpless to plead his own cause.  Let’s boldly ask great things of our great God!

Below you will find the information you need in order to request more information about adopting Chad.  You do not need to be home study approved or even in the home study process to request more information about Chad or any of the other children waiting in Pleven!

Please email Andrea Roberts at andrea@reecesrainbow.org

P.S.  If you take me up on my challenge to pray for a family for Chad, could you please leave a comment on this post or email me at susanna@theblessingofverity.com to let me know?  I would appreciate this more than you could guess!  Thank you so much!

P. P. S.  Earlier today, we heard from Crystal, who’s currently in charge of the It’s Tommy’s Time auction, that some of you requested that the auction be extended because you were having trouble placing bids due to weather-related spotty internet access.

Now our family can’t get through to Crystal!

So until further notice, Tommy’s auction will remain open for bids rather than closing at midnight tonight as planned.  Thank you, friends, for bidding!  You continue to be an incredible blessing!!!

31 Responses to “The invisible curly-headed boy”

1. tara says:

i will pray for chad; chad is my husband’s name so when i pray for my hubby, i will pray for BOTH chads.

2. Crysta says:

Susanna,

I just wanted to let you know that Chad is on my prayer list. I pray for his family each day. He is truly not invisible. Thank you for all the amazing work you do!

Crysta

3. Sharon says:

Susanna,

I will commit to praying for Chad and for his forever family!

Sharon

4. Lisa says:

Praying from now until Chad comes home.

5. Mary Winslow says:

We here at Grace Abounding Farm are praying for the curly haired cutey, Chad! Thank you for advocating for these precious children!

The Winslow Family

6. cinnamon says:

praying.

7. Cheryl says:

Susanna, I wanted to let you know that my family and I are all praying that Chad soon finds his family.

8. Jacquelyn says:

I will pray for Chad! I will ask my Bible Study group to join me in prayer for him as well. I wish I could just hug him and let him know he’s special… Thank you for loving these children!

9. Crystal G. says:

Susanna — I got your message and responded!  Don’t worry about me!  :)  The auction is still going strong and will close at midnight tomorrow night or until I hear differently from you!

Here’s praying that Chad’s family finds him!

10. sabrina says:

Poor little Chad. Maybe he just has the kind of face that gets lost in a crowd. Thank you for holding him up high so he could be seen! I’ll pray for him.

11. Rachel says:

I am committing right now to pray for Chad!  I think he has so much potential with the right family and I hope they find him soon!

12. Beckie says:

This little boy is so special and gorgeous! He can walk when aided and will walk himself around the room holding onto things. He has a lovely gentle nature and particularly loves playing on the swings! He has a lovely baba who likes to feed him up and take him outside, but this is not enough as the rest of his time is spent in a room with few other children or in his cot – he needs a family and would do so well in a loving home!

13. Natalie says:

Hello Susanna.  I am the little sister of Grace Knuth, who adopted sweet Samantha Love.  I have been following your blog for some time now. I have been praying for owen and harvey and penny, but I am so sad to admit that chad hasn’t been on my radar until now.  I will be praying, and posting pictures of him.  What a sweet little boy. I am praying that he will find a family who will give him a love beyond anything he has ever known.  I love all of these kids so much, and I can tell that he is such a precious little boy.  I am currently a college student (and i just got married a week ago), but I am praying with all my heart that when the time is right, my husband and I will be able to adopt one of these beautiful children and show them all the love they have never had.  What you are doing is incredible susanna, and i want you to know that your family has truly opened the eyes of people all over the world.  You have made more of an impact than you will probably ever know.
    Love,
    Natalie

14. Anna says:

I’ve been thinking about Chad today! I promise I will pray for chad!

15. Emily says:

I hurts my heart that Chad has no family. It hurts my heart even more that our family is not qualified to adopt anywhere. I can only pray, and I promise to put Chad on my prayer list.

16. Melissa says:

I will pray for Chad!!! I would love to adopt one or more of these sweet children. How do you know which child is meant to be yours when there are so many in need? Thank you for all that you do and opening my eyes, and so many others, to the need!

17. Kate Estes says:

Chad has very deeply and very specifically been on my heart and in my prayers, but I usually read your blog from my phone and can’t comment there.  His picture has just finished coming out of my printer and is headed to be posted on my fridge as soon as I hit send – our family will pray until his family has him home!!

18. Kristie says:

praying for Chad!  We are a family full of curly heads, so chad has always caught my attention!  Praying for the day that we can adopt!!!

19. Cath says:

Thank you for this post.  I have just requested his file information.

20. Brittany says:

I will think of precious Chad every day. I will lift him up in thoughts of health, love and peace until a Mommy and Daddy find him.

21. Holly says:

I will pray for Chad.  I see him, and he is beautiful.  Thanks so, so much for holding him high for blessing.  I appreciate you so, so much.

22. Natalie says:

I wish there was a “like” button  for blog comments.  Because Cath, your comment about requesting his file has just made my heart so happy. :)

23. Sarah says:

He was the one that first stuck out to me when you blogged about those kids. Praying!

24. Rita from Spain says:

Chad is in my thoughts and prayers…hugs…

I am so overwhelmed by all the messages here and through email. What can I say? Thank you for loving Chad and caring about his life enough to pray for him! Thank you all!

26. Jodi says:

Susanna, how heartbreaking and convicting that this precious boy was invisible to us!   In fact, he did catch my attention before because of his unusual features.  Our son from Bulgaria also has a facial difference, but a different one, called Pfeiffer syndrome.  In our research preparing for his adoption we encountered numerous other syndromes that affect facial features, and that is why Chad caught my attention.  I wonder if anyone has considered the diagnosis of Cornelia de Lange Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelia_de_Lange) for him.  I couldn’t remember the name of it at first, but a bit of goggling jogged my memory.  He looks to me as though he has the physical features of it, though I don’t know much about his medical info to see if the resemblance goes beyond that.  Perhaps a diagnosis would give a potential family something concrete to be able to research and feel more confident to adopt him.  In the meantime, I will commit to pray for him, that God will protect him and send him a family <3

27. Angie says:

I will pray for Chad…as will my husband and children.  I know God has a plan here.  My heart is broken for this precious child.

28. Bri says:

I just said a little prayer in his behalf, and will continue to do so… I pray frequently for those working on this and for ALL the children, but I don’t pray as often for an individual child :(. I have a hard time remembering names until I have seen them a few times. I have recently started putting together a prayer journal, and will make sure that Chad, and the others that you have mentioned, are added! I will also continue to pray for your family :). God bless!!!

29. Heather (iceangel) says:

I printed out Chad’s picture to share with the children in the morning.  My little 7 year old is a doozey of a prayer warrior….Chad will be WELL bathed in prayer!  Thank you for your hard work!

30. Stephanie says:

Adding sweet Chad and his forever family to my prayer list!

31. Jessi says:

I had picked out two children and printed their pictures for Bible study this week… but then I saw your most recent blog post and as soon as I saw the name of your blog I remembered Chad and decided to bring him too.  He is precious and deserving and I dearly hope that he gets a family.  Of the P* kids who do not have families he is the one I think of most.