Little snippet

October 4th, 2012

“With Sadie, I learned first hand that often times disabled children have the sweetest souls. It is impossible to explain exactly how I learned this, it is a type of knowledge that can not be passed on by any amount of words, you must learn through experience to fully understand.”

~Emily, babysitter to my friend’s daughter Sadie when Sadie was a little girl.

Sadie is now a teenager and Emily is majoring in Special Education~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Verity looks so tiny to us now that her big sister Katie looms over her.

Her petite size makes her accomplishments all the more delightful, her hugs and kisses all the more delectable…

…and her confident self-possession all the more amusing to us.  If I plump up her pillow and don’t put it back in just the right place, she’ll take care of my mistake herself with her tiny little hands.

To casual observers, those who don’t interact with her closely every day, the charm of her personality and abilities are not obvious.

She’s like an unassuming forest flower whose delicate fragrance is easily missed by the wide, wide world.

She is reserved with those outside the family.  She’s not a performer, by a long shot.

We’re thrilled that she has more spontaneous speech now than she did three months ago when she turned two.  But she is still “slow to speak,” and when she does talk, she has a soft voice.

Most outsiders don’t get to hear her say much more than, “Hi.”

I feel like we were gifted the rarest kind of treasure, the kind that doesn’t blazon itself boldly to the world.

The kind that is cherished inside and pondered in the heart.

At times, we are taken aback by the abilities of this sweet and spunky snippet of a Musser girl.

“Verity, how many leaves are there?  Count the leaves.”

“One…”

“…two.”

I was standing at the stove putting the final touches on supper.  Verity was sitting nearby with a stack of her most-loved possessions–her books.  I kept glancing over so that I could talk about what she was seeing as she turned the pages.

She opened another book.  I noticed that it was upside down and said, “Verity, your book is upside down.  Turn it around.”

She immediately responded by turning the book around until it was right side up.  When I praised her, she looked at me as if to say, “What’s the big deal, Mom?  Of course I understood the meaning of what you said, made the connection between that and the book in front of me, recognized the problem, and then fixed it without help using my fine motor skills, all within the space of fifteen seconds!”

Sweet soul.

18 Responses to “Little snippet”

1. Missy says:

Oh, I love Verity posts. She is such a cute little dumpling. What did she think about the glue getting on her fingers? When I would make those kind of projects with my first graders there would always be a few who really did not like that sticky stuff!

2. Sarah G says:

I love the snippet you share in the beginning. I started volunteering as a peer-tutor for students with moderate to severe disabilities in my highschool. I loved, loved, loved the students and spent the next 3 years convincing my guidance counselor that this position was my elective. Fortunately, she agreed and I went on the get my masters in special education. I still could have never imagined my husband and I would have “adopt a child with special needs” in our 5 year plan, but here we are! It’s amazing to me how trusting God one step at a time leads to a beautiful destination I could never have imagined on step 1.

Missy, it didn’t bother her. :)

4. Crystal says:

She is just darling!  We are praying for your family.  I enjoy your blog.

Blessings!

5. Rachel says:

Though i eagerly await updates on Katie, posts that never fail to make me smile, I sure love the Verity posts. What precious girls!

6. Deanna Rabe says:

We are all Verity fans around here!  We love it when she smiles that gorgeous smile at us in our row behind you in church!
    Great post!
    Deanna

7. There’s my little sweet dumpling Verity!! :o) I LOVE watching her grow! She IS truly a treasure. You describe her beautifully!
    Miss Katie is so big! WOW!! Gives us hope that our Mosie will grow! Katie is one of the most beautiful girls ever from BG. I hope the staff are ashamed of over-looking her true beauty.

Cute-cute- cute! I’m going to be smiling all day!!
    (((HUGS)))

8. Taylor-Tots says:

I feel so privileged to peek into the growth and development of your sweet children!  I love how you include pictures of the olders gently guiding the youngers.  Verity seems like such a determined and quiet soul.  And such a big girl she is becoming.  Love her!

9. Rebekah says:

Verity is SO adorable! She must be even more delightful in person. Our third child is a 20 month old little boy who does not have any special needs. Sometimes when I’m looking at him I think, “That was so cute, that reminds me of Verity.” Verity and Katie have opened my eyes to how special (and normal!) “special needs” people are. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful daughters’ accomplishments with us. They are both treasures and I love to hear how they are doing.

10. Emily says:

Hello! I just wanted to say how much I appreciate this blog. This is the first post I’ve read, but I think it’s very important that people come to understand just how much people with special needs are like everyone else. And it’s through sweet glimpses into everyday life (the trials and the joys!) like this blog that help others understand this fundamental truth of life; that everyone is a beloved child of God and deserves nothing but complete and selfless love. Thank you for devoting yourself in such a wonderful way to spreading love and joy! We need it so desperately in our world today! I also want to thank you for including my quote at the beginning of your blog – it was very touching when I was told that you wanted to use my quote. I absolutely love Sadie and I feel so blessed to know her and other children with special needs – their smiles are often the brightest and the joy is so genuine and sincere that you can’t help but be caught up in it. I’m so grateful for the opportunity to spread my feelings on the subject in a way that perhaps I wouldn’t have been able to without your post. It’s been a pleasure reading and looking through this blog so far and I look forward to checking back to see what else is posted here. Much love :)
    Spread Joy <3

11. Ginny says:

I think we need more Verity’s in this chaotic world.

Emily, I felt honored that you gave me permission to use your very well-stated words. They help to bridge the gap just that much more. Thank you! :)

13. I am so devoted each day to reading your blog and all the joys because of the gift of Verity that God sent you and how your hearts were opened to the joys of special needs parenting.   The pictures of the girls on the swing are testimony to the radical love of Jesus.  Verity with her wispy blond hair and her thumb in her mouth and the smile on Katie’s face and all of her soft brown curl is just too precious!  I have been sharing your story about Katie, from her pictures in Pleven to the preset with my 7th grade religion class to bring them awareness of suffering in our world and why Jesus came to earth.  Wow, it was a total shock to them, but I have been using your pictures to show them how the Lord calls us to love.   I hope I took them out of their comfort zone for awhile, which is what Jesus wants them to do.  So I think your family has opened a window for these 7th grade students about suffering and redemption.  Thank you so much for your time and talent that you bring to this blog each and every day.

14. Danette Saxey says:

First Praise God for you and all who have helped your mission become reality. I’m just curious if the director and her daughter ever got prosecuted for these heinous crimes against children?

15. Ginger says:

I totally love the way both girls are kicking their left foot out in that first photo of them. That’s so funny!!
    Love these Verity posts. Her charm comes through in the pictures. :D

Danette Saxey, thanks for asking! I don’t know the answer, though, and I haven’t pursued finding it out. If I ever hear what happens, I’ll report it here. :)

17. Eileen says:

Susanna, Thank you for including Emily’s quote and the photo of her and Sadie!  She stated exactly how I have felt….that there are no words to explain how special these children are….

Verity is so adorable, and it is so wonderful to see Katie not only thriving, but growing!  They are both beautiful little girls.  Thank you for sharing your family with us.  You are all truly an inspiration!

18. Inga says:

That photo of Katie in the green dress made my heart sing!  How wonderful to see her looking chubby.  Verity is so cute, too.  What precious blessings.