The kindness of the Lord: updates!

September 14th, 2012

Our home study process officially began last Tuesday, the 4th, when we received our home study packet.  Lord willing, by next Tuesday afternoon, the 18th, when our social worker comes for her scheduled home visit, we will have done all we can do for our home study, and could have the draft in our hands by the end of next week.

All the clearances for our home study have come back already except one.

We have already gotten a start on the next step–our dossier requirements.

We are pushing hard, but it doesn’t feel like we’re pushing, because God has been quietly, undramatically, and unmistakeably clearing the way before us.

He has been providing just the funds we need at just the right time, just the way we like it best!  Thank you to everyone who has given–God has used every one of your gifts to help keep this process moving fast, since several large fees are coming due close together.

Next post will announce the details of the $1000 matching gift challenge!

Some of you will remember that when we set out to adopt Katie, we were turned down by the first home study agency we called, due to their prejudice against large families.

When I called the next agency on the list, I asked for a specific social worker that our friend Stephanie Carpenter had recommended.

After our first experience, I was braced for another negative reaction, but the social worker immediately let us know that she was very open to working with us.  And since that time, she has been incredible to work with, both during Katie’s adoption and now for Tommy’s adoption.

But it wasn’t until last week that we learned where her radically different perspective comes from.

She told me, “I come from a big family myself, and I totally get how big families work.  You would run into trouble with the other social workers in this agency, but not with me.”

Not only that, she went on to say, but she has seven adopted siblings, five of whom have special needs, including cerebral palsy.

Now she’s not only our supportive home study social worker, but also another valuable voice of experience and rich source of information for our family!

And…

…speaking of a trusted voice of experience and source of information…

If you have considered adopting a child with cerebral palsy or other brain damage from Pleven or a similar situation, but you are hesitating because you can’t picture what life would look like with a significantly needy child, our good friend Stephanie Carpenter is eager to hear from you.

She wrote, “Let families know that they may contact me to know more about certain kids from a professional side but also from an experienced personal side…I LIVE IT EVERYDAY…live it with special needs in my home…live it with the burden of having seen it with my own eyes and I AM BURNING inside and want to get word out!!!!  I have experience with having been to Pleven, and experience with severely brain injured children and severe cerebral palsy.”

So please email Stephanie with your questions regarding bringing home a child with significant needs and what that may mean in real life~

nusker1@hotmail.com

The best news of all?

Tiny five year old Adam, waiting in Pleven, is recovering well from his shunt surgery at Tokuda Hospital, AND he has a wonderful family!!!!!

Remember the little four year old twins in Pleven?  Brody and Braddock have an amazing family, too!!!!!

Brody~

Braddock~

As if that wasn’t good news enough for one day…!

I know of eight–eight!–more children with special needs in Pleven who now have families coming for them!!!!!  (I can post more when I receive official word that they have been officially matched with their families.)

Praise the Lord with me!

He will bring justice to the poor of the people!

He will save the children of the needy, and break in pieces the oppressor!

For He will deliver the needy when he cries,
The poor also, and him who has no helper!

He will spare the poor and needy,
And will save the souls of the needy!

He will redeem their life from oppression and violence;
And precious shall be their blood in His sight!

Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel,
Who only does wondrous things!

14 Responses to “The kindness of the Lord: updates!”

1. Shoshanna says:

My heart is jumping for joy!! To know that Adam had surgery, and has a family, and that Brody and Braddock have a family – and 8 more from Plevin also have families coming!!!! WOW – God is so so good!

2. Linda says:

You are doing marvelous work, both within your (growing!) family, and in getting the word out about Pleven. Without you I doubt that these adoptions would be happening.

3. Mandy says:

SO happy for these children and their families! God answers prayers :)

That’s great how God led you to the perfect SW for your HS!

4. stephanie says:

Hey sister,

LOVE THE PHOTO OF ALL OF YOU…how did you get a photo with everyone looking and looking so good…I can’t seem to do that with only 4 girls…no one looks at the same time!!  I LOVE IT…thanks for the updates and thanks for your heart for these precious kids!

I will write more later/soon!

Be blessed today sister…hugs…steph

5. Deanna Rabe says:

Woo Hoo!
    Great news all around!  The family photo turned out so great, too!
    So excited to see God moving!

6. sabrina says:

Beautiful family photo! So glad to see all the answers to prayers and to hear that Tommy’s adoption is going well so far.

Hi dear Steph! If you’ll look closely, you’ll see that out of the youngest six, only ONE is looking! Katie’s smiling sweetly in another direction, John Michael is squinting away from the sun, Peter is looking and smiling, James is squinting and smiling, Stephen is trying to ignore the camera (and too bad, because he has some amazing dimples), and Verity is feeling John Michael’s fuzzy head! So don’t feel too badly! We have more big people to carry the photo! And it’s so kind of everyone not to mention that half of us are in the shadows! Haha! I let go of “perfect” family photos quite a while back, and settle for acceptable!

8. Carol says:

Praise the Lord!! So excited to hear about all of the precious children from Pleven who have families coming. If any of you are reading this comment, Congratulations!!!

9. Kim says:

Hi,
     Your family is gorgeous and I love hearing about  Tommy!  I was also wondering about a family who was adopting two teen girls from China and were leaving last week.  I haven’t been able to find where I read about them.  Could someone give me an update and the link to their blog if you know who I am talking about!  Thanks

Kim

10. Blessed says:

Susanna, I realize this is not pertinent to this post, but I read this today and it SO made me think of your family, and I thought you would appreciate it. : )

11. Anna says:

Happy with you!  A supportive social worker is such a blessing!

12. I LOVE how Verity is feeling John Michael’s head! ADORABLE!! And Katie has a smile to light up a room! Of course the rest of the kids are just way too cute-cute-CUTE!! LOVE this picture!! :o)

13. Katie says:

1. ADORABLE family picture.  That is so beautiful, all your wonderful children together :)

2. EIGHT MORE with families?!  Oh, that makes me feel so relieved.  Myself and Lydia Rosencrants and Adeye and who knows who else have been screaming for the newest listed Pleven kids… it’s going to be so gratifying to see them set in families, all our prayers answered…

ALWAYS praying for you!

14. Kristi says:

I am so glad to know sweet Adam has a family!!!! I could have totally pictured him in our family, seeing that picture of him touched my heart so, and I am so glad a family is committed to him. I will be praying for him! Love the family picture!!