So do not fear.

August 22nd, 2012

Comment:

For the past three years my husband and I have looked to adoption and have been finding ways to cut expenses so that we can save and afford the cost.  Unfortunately, living on one income of an E4 active Airforce it’s difficult. Our oldest son is special needs and we have talked about adopting a child with further needs as we are confident we can greatly provide. If only things were financially better for us we could bring this adoption sooner. My goal is to have enough saved in the next six years.  Such a shame that what keeps a child from a good home is a large sum of money.

~Vickirae

Reply:

Vickirae, thank you for bringing up this very important subject, as it is one that unnecessarily causes paralyzing fear in many potential adoptive families.

If your income qualifies you, you do not need to fear the actual costs of adoption. In fact, of all the barriers people see, that one should cause the least concern, and we are not the only special needs adoptive family to say this!

You may be aware that the income of US military families only has to meet 100% of the US poverty guidelines to qualify to adopt. You may not know that the USCIS applies the total of the family’s assets to that number dollar for dollar to come up with the total.

If your income does not qualify you, you can trust that this is God’s hand holding the door closed, and that He can easily open this one if and when He so chooses.

There are many people who cannot themselves adopt, who greatly desire to help adoptive families bring home children with special needs.

There are many grant organizations who offer fundraising support.

There are many creative ideas out there for fundraising.

All the adoptive families I know are very qualified to provide for their child once they’re home, and their home study reflected this fact, but most of them did not start out with some big nest egg that they could use to pay the actual adoption fees themselves.  In some cases, if they have a nest egg, it needs to stay right where it is as proof to the powers that be that they can financially handle the needs of their adopted child once he or she is home.

But most of all, this ministry of special needs adoption belongs to God, and He is the one in charge of providing for the costs. It is His job to bring these little ones into the families He has chosen for them, and He can do it with both hands tied behind His back.

He has stated so many times that He is on the side of the needy and outcast! You can take Him at His word in this! We have seen time and time again how perfectly He fills in the gaps for each family as He deems best. He knows who can fundraise and who cannot, who has the extra financial resources and who does not, and exactly how He wants to time each adoption process by how fast or how slowly He provides. The money is truly such a nothing to Him that it is easier for Him to provide thousands of dollars than it is for us to stoop down and pick a penny up off the ground.

I wrote a post nearly two years ago that explains some of what we believe about money based on what we see in God’s word.  Please click on the following link to read The Lord is King! [I].

And we have seen solid, practical proof that once the child is home, that our heavenly Father continues to more than honor our trust in Him by marvelous provision.  These are not hollow words; He has proven Himself faithful to us and to so many other families in so many ways that we could not recount them all!

We have not paid one penny for months’ worth of expensive formula for Katie.  We have had thousands of dollars’ worth of adaptive equipment given to us.  We have had clothing given to us.  We have had therapists step forward to offer their services for free.  We have had others set up a bank account for Katie’s extra expenses that Samaritan Ministries does not share in.

Our God loves to show Himself strong on behalf of those who trust Him!

I want you to know that no matter how great your trust in Him grows to be–and it might be as tiny as a mustard seed!– His trustworthiness is infinitely greater.

“So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

16 Responses to “So do not fear.”

1. Kara says:

Susanna, you do not know how much I needed this today.

A few days ago I begged the Lord for clear signs that we are meant to take this leap, and I’ve gotten them. Many of them. This is one of them. I needed it today, and I am so thankful for you and your blog.

2. Keely Guthery says:

This gives me chills.  Sometimes it’s easy to forget in the day to day routines what an all-powerful and mighty God we have the fortune to serve.  Thank you for reminding me today.  Your posts are such a blessing to my heart.

3. Julie says:

Thank you for this–so encouraging!

4. Jessica says:

I’ve weighed the options in my mind, I think to myself, if we qualified to adopt, would I be able to handle it?  Could I do such a thing?  I keep coming back to that massive sum of money required…This gives me hope.  I’ve actually never thought things in that way before.  Thanks for this!

Jessica, I’m so glad to hear this! :) Thanks for replying!

6. Gigi says:

Susanna, Could you please explain this:  “You may not know that the USCIS applies the total of the family’s assets to that number dollar for dollar to come up with the total.”

7. Nickey says:

I found your blog throgh Ruth Einfeld after she had providentially posted a link the day after I had been looking at our adoption options again and had begun considering Bulgaria. While the Lord is holding the door closed  to us right now this post is a great reminder of the hope we have in Him and His ability to provide for all our needs.

I wonder if you might be able to clarify a couple of things about the income requirements for me? I read, I think on RR, that you will need to provide 3 years worth of tax returns to verify income. I wasn’t sure if that meant you needed to qualify for at least the last three years or if they were only concerned about current income? Also what do you mean by the assets being part of your income qualifications? Like if you owned a car or home their value is added on top of what you made that year?

THANKS.

Gigi, Nickey is right in what she says about the family’s assets.

Nickey, I asked adoption specialist Shelley Bedford your second question, and she replied,

“You do not have to provide 3 years’ worth of tax returns. You will only provide income verification, which usually does require your most recent tax return. But, that’s the only one they will ask for.”

9. Gigi says:

Thank you so much for the quick response!  That info makes me very happy, and excited!  Maybe that door is slowly opening now.  :c)   Question:  On RR, how can you tell which children are in Bulgaria?

Gigi, you are very welcome, and I am excited right along with you! The children listed on RR who are waiting in Bulgaria always have the # symbol after their names and before their numbers.

To narrow the search to the Pleven orphanage, type #11 into RR’s search bar. There are 9 waiting children from Pleven listed on RR right now, and two whose files were sent back recently–Penny and Payton. Penny and Payton’s files can be requested, however, and we will keep advocating for them until they have committed families!

It is so exciting to see God answering many fervent prayers for the children with special needs in Pleven to be listed and available for adoption, and we will keep praying until every last child is home.

Please feel free to email me with any more questions, and if I don’t know the answers, I usually know people who do! susanna@theblessingofverity.com Other SN adoptive parents are a high priority!

11. Rita says:

This is a neat website that offers free instant translation. They have Bulgarian too!

12. Andrea says:

Susanna,
    Thank you thank you for posting this!  This is one of the most hard to swallow parts of the desire to adopt.  Even my husband and I have have a hard time with this.  We would be totally willing to adopt whenever God shows us our child!  However, the cost has really frightened particularly my husband.   I just keep reassuring him that if God asked us to adopt, He will provide the means.  I am just thankful you have addressed this issue!   I may steal this idea from you and share something about it on my blog as well as I think it is a very important subject.

God bless my friend!

Andrea-

heartoftheyoung.org

Thank you, Andrea, for your note!

I don’t know whether you read Joe’s Father’s Day post: http://theblessingofverity.com/2012/06/a-fathers-adoption-journey/

It was also difficult for Joe to trust God with the finances at the beginning of our adoption of Katie, but God used that process to completely transform his perspective. It seems to be one of those areas where the doing of the task is one of the means God uses to change us and make us able to do the task. If that makes sense! He is SO kind, and SO faithful!

14. Gigi says:

I just came across this on the Godvine website and it made me think of all the beautiful, amazing children we are hoping to adopt, love, and give a meaningful life to.  I thought you would enjoy it.  http://www.godvine.com/read/super-dad-22.html

Gigi, *tears* Thank you. That is a small, imperfect glimpse of the perfect love of God the Father for His beloved children, who all have severe special needs.

16. Melissa says:

You know I enjoy reading your blog so much. We have been brainstorming for months on how to do this. We more than income qualify but two sick children in two years has left us drained. I have gotten many signs to ‘go ahead’, but pushing through with no financial backing is so hard. Every idea I’ve come up with to fundraise has come to naught. Keep encouraging people. We all enjoy seeing Katie and Verity’s pictures!