Amelia before, Amelia after

August 24th, 2012

Do you remember this little girl from a year ago?  Do you remember when I asked you to please go get a measuring tape?  I wanted you to see for yourselves how tiny she was, although she was turning eleven years old in November.

I bent in to nuzzle this reeking, stiff, miniature human being, and wondered whether I was the first person to kiss her.  “O Lord, have mercy on her and send her a family to love her back to life!”  He answered this prayer before twenty-four more hours had passed.

Amelia spent time last winter in the Tokuda Hospital, for nutritional rehabilitation as well as love and affection from the wonderful pediatrician who oversaw her care.  She gained a pound during her two weeks in Tokuda.

Jenny, her future mommy, visited her for the first time and saw the difference that one pound had made on Amelia’s tiny frame.

When another adoptive mom saw Amelia in June, a month after the new director of Pleven had assumed her duties, she had obviously gained a bit more!  And isn’t she looking longer, too?!

Now she has been home with her large family for almost a month, and just look at this pretty girl!  Look at her glowing, healthy skin and hair!

Amelia, it gives me a deep and satisfied joy to know that the Pleven orphanage no longer holds you as it did for so many empty days and years.  That little girl you used to be doesn’t exist anymore.

God has had mercy on you, little one.  May your new life unmistakably show forth that mercy!

23 Responses to “Amelia before, Amelia after”

1. Lydia says:

Praising God for redeeming this beautiful little treasure!  Oh my goodness, her plump little face and radiant hair – such a joy to see.  And of course the changes that matter most can’t be seen – finally feeling loved and cherished and safe.  Bless you, Jenny, for doing God’s work in the life of this angel.  How this makes me long to have my girls home.

2. Missy says:

She looks so much better after just a month home. And that looks like a Carrington hat in the last picture. :)

3. Christine says:

How wonderful! Such a blessing to see how she’s blossomed!

4. Ellen says:

PRAISE GOD!!!

5. Jennifer says:

I met this dear family and their precious children (including Amelia) in the Sofia airport.  We flew to Munich together and tried to help any way we could – even when the Lufthansa gate agent tried to say the flight was full and they would not have seats!! (We were willing to offer our seats if it helped).  I feel SO grateful to see that she is doing so much better – just as I know she would.  I’m not surprised that she did receive some better care with the new director.  There are changes there, even though it is not enough.  God bless Jenny and her precious treasures from Pleven!!

6. Jessica says:

Amelia looks soooo much better!  It’s amazing what love and nutrition can do!  Praying for those still suffering in Pleven, and many prayers Amelia and her sister and brothers continue to grow and thrive.

7. Elizabeth in NC says:

She is a beauty.

8. Susan says:

What a gorgeous little girl! What love can do…

I just signed up to represent RR at the local Buddy Walk – seeing Amelia’s “before” and “after” pictures reinforces my determination to shout from the rooftops for all of the “Amelias” hidden in orphanages around the world…and for their blessed families and others who advocate for them.

Once again, thank you so much.

Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from EE

9. Jessica says:

That is amazing-1 month?!  It couldn’t be more plain what love can do for a child.  I’m so happy for Amelia the tears are welling up,  she never deserved what happened to her.

10. Brianna D. says:

Wow, what an amazing, merciful God we serve!  What a huge difference loving care can make!  Praise God!

11. Priscilla says:

Thank you so much for this update on Amelia! I check their family blog daily, but nothing has been posted in some time. So pleased to see this sweet girl flourishing! Excited to see where she is at after 2 months at home!!

12. Suzanne says:

God is so very good. Unbelievable transformation. She is so beautiful!

13. Katie says:

Oh, thank you so much for the update!  I haven’t stopped praying for Amelia since I first saw her picture, and my efforts only intensified (I contacted EVERYONE I knew) while Jenny was traveling home with her so that they might pray too.  I noticed Jenny doesn’t blog too often – and I figured it would happen even less with her hands full with four new kids already on top a home bursting at the seams (bursting with love, of course).  Amelia is looking AMAZING!  I knew she would blossom just like Katie has.

14. sabrina says:

God truly preserved her life. He sustained her so she could be part of a real family. Beautiful.

15. Ali says:

Wow, praise God.  Amazing!

16. Amelia IS so loved and knows it!  Thank you Browns for being a hero to so many!
    Love Stephanie

17. Angie says:

I’m so grateful to have an Amelia update!!!

18. Jane says:

Praise God that she was rescued.  Faith and action…what a powerful combination!

19. Daneille says:

May I copy this post on my blog?

Daneille, you may as long as you link back to the post here, please. :)

21. Kristin says:

Oh wow.  The amazing things that love can do.  Praise God for keeping her alive and providing her a family :)

22. Zealia says:

Praise Our God who Saves. NOTHING is too difficult for him. Little Amelia has been heavy on my heart since late July when she gave her mama a scare coming home and ended up in that hospital in Bulgaria.

Im so happy to see this precious one looking so good.

Praise Jesus!

23. Margaret says:

Any more updates on this little one?