God will provide for Tommy

July 12th, 2012

Hanging on the side of our refrigerator is a magnetic whiteboard which serves as our family’s prayer list.

Most of our prayer requests fall into three categories:

1)  Children who desperately need families.

2)  Families whose hearts are wide open to adopt them, but don’t qualify.

3)  Families who qualify to adopt them, but whose hearts are not open.

Did you know that although 33% of Christians consider adoption, only 1% actually adopt?

My guess is that at least half of you who are reading this qualify to adopt Tommy.  I can confidently promise you that if you are his family, he will never put strychnine in your well or burn you to a crisp in your beds.

Friends, almost a month has been lost.

What is it you are afraid of?  Can we talk about it?  You will become a red alert high priority.  susanna@theblessingofverity.com

Or would you email Shelley Bedford with your questions?  She is extremely knowledgeable and will be happy to answer any questions she can!  shele337@yahoo.com

I have three blunt questions for you, if you are qualified but unwilling–

Are the things you fear really more important than the life of this almost sixteen-year-old boy?

If you were in his place, would you think those things were more important?

Could you look him in the eye and tell him that yourself?

We’re still waiting for the email that says, “TOMMY HAS A FAMILY!!!!!!!”

At this point, to be completely open, I’m praying that my heavenly Father keeps me from becoming bitter about so many qualified but unwilling parents in the face of such desperate need.  And deliberately and determinedly believing that God can provide a family for the boy with the million-dollar smile, even if I never see any evidence of it.

He can provide a qualified family to love Tommy and do whatever it takes to bring him home.

I am praising my God, because He can provide!

26 Responses to “God will provide for Tommy”

1. Sarah says:

Awww, I thought you were going to tell us he had a family. :( I’m praying hard you will soon be able to tell us that!!!!

2. Leah says:

I have been wondering everyday if Tommy and one other girl, Carissa have found a family or not yet.  Thanks for giving us updates.  My heart pleads to God that they will be rescued.  I will keep praying!

3. Deanna says:

Since has such a limited time, does it need to be a family that is already gone through home studies etc?

4. Rebeca says:

Tommy is always on my heart and in our prayers. It takes my breath away to think of him without his family. I’m not afraid to be his Mommy…but it takes both in our marriage…and I keep praying for my husband’s heart to be pricked as well (he’s worried about my health issues among other things)…this won’t happen in time for us to be Tommy’s family. I feel like I want you to know that I so wish I could be Tommy’s mommy. I’ve always wanted to adopt. We can’t have anymore natural children…I  thought one day we could adopt a baby. Since Verity and Katie have entered my life though your blog…my heart’s desire is special needs adoption…I’m no longer boxing God into bringing us a healthy newborn baby.  I thank you for your raw-ness and letting God use you to open the hearts of His children to the needs of these sweet children. I’m not afraid of our small house or limited income…God has shown us Himself as Jehovah Jireh, God our Provider.  I feel one day He will have my husband and I on the same page. Until then…I pray for Tommy’s family!

5. Galit says:

We just started the homestudy process, and I doubt that we’d be qualified for a child that old (our other children at home are 13, 12, 3, and 2 years old).  I hope his family finds him soon!  I have advocated for him on my blog, he does look so sweet!
    Praying!

6. Tammy says:

I was so hoping this post was going to say Tommy has a family.  I will continue to pray.  If we qualified Id’ be there yesterday.  I keep sharing his story, his picture and praying.  I have my own struggles with being more than willing and yet still unable and knowing that there are those who are able and yet unwilling.  Praying for Tommy’s family to be found.

7. Praying right along with you for Tommy…
    …and love the Anne of Green Gables reference! :)

No, Deanna, if a family is willing to move fast and has a home study agency willing to expedite. (Our agency in Lancaster expedited, and even with a few delays, it was done in five weeks.)

One of the bits of advice that’s going into an upcoming FAQ page is from Stephanie Carpenter. If any family is considering a Bulgaria SN adoption, go ahead and get that home study started.

9. Alexandra says:

Oh goodness this little guy breaks my heart!  What a sweetie!  I wish we were eligible to adopt him. Praying praying praying for Tommy and his family to be united soon!!!

Leah, Carissa has had a family for a while, thank the Lord! http://reecesrainbow.org/36029/sponsormatthews

There are THREE waiting on RR from Pleven, Marsha, Payton and Penny:

Thank you so much for praying!

Rebeca, thank you so much for your understanding comment. I know other advocates have struggled with these same emotions, and that it’s part of this journey. I couldn’t handle this without either becoming a hard and angry woman OR knowing beyond the shadow of doubt that a GOOD God is in charge. (And preaching that truth to myself as often as I need to hear it.)

We’re pretty sure that someday the North American church will stand up, open its eyes, shake its head in disbelief, and say, “What in the world have we been THINKING? What have we been DOING?” And be deeply grieved, and rightly so. And thereafter, no child will sit on Reece’s Rainbow for years, because we will finally agree with God that every child is valuable.

It is nonetheless true that from where we sit, we see God moving in His people’s hearts in unbelievable ways. NOT unbelievable because of large numbers, but because of the profound nature of where He’s taking them. I’m jealously praying for such a family for Tommy–not one who is reluctant or has any unworthy motives, but one who loves him EXTRAVAGANTLY, as God loves His adopted children.

12. Leah says:

Susanna,

Thank you for taking the time to reply me back.  I’m so thankful that Carissa has found a family!  Thank you God!  But that’s not the same Carissa I’ve been praying for.  This is the Carissa I’m talking about: http://reecesrainbow.org/31706/carissa

I will add Payton & Penny to my prayers.  Thank you for recommended to me that I could pray for them too.  It’s so hard to choose who to pray for.  There’s so many of them.  :)

Oh, yes, I know her face, although I didn’t remember her name! So thankful she has a prayer warrior, Leah!

14. stephanie says:

Hey dear sister,

Praying!!!!  Anyone with questions that I might be able to help with please send them my way too!

LOVE YOU SISTER!!! Steph

15. Elizabeth says:

I keep checking here every day (and sometimes more than once a day) hoping, hoping, hoping to see that Tommy has a family.  I don’t qualify to adopt, which I’ve been struggling with lately.  I could write a whole post of my own on what God has been teaching me through this, but I don’t think this is the place for that!  I am consistently praying for Tommy, though!

PS:  The Anne of Green Gables quote confirmed my suspicions that you might be a kindred spirit!  I hope you don’t think that’s weird considering that you have no idea who I am!  :-)

16. Missy says:

I’m praying for a family for Tommy.

17. Rachel M says:

Oh Leah, I am in tears. I have twins and the thought of them being separated and then one adopted, oh it breaks my heart, and no one to love her. I am in the same boat as many, praying the Lord would break my husbands heart too so that we could begin our first adoption journey.

18. Holly says:

Susanna – I have been praying for Tommy, many times a day.  My heart is broken for all children who need homes – and I think you are right.  Along with many other sins – this is surely one that the church has to repent of someday.  How difficult to wait and watch and still – trust – that our loving Father is going to make things GOOD for these little ones.

I cannot adopt Tommy or any other children right now – am moving within a month or two and our home will not be large enough to make it thru a homestudy.  I have nine children and also take care of my elderly parents.  But I have stood with my arms wide open for YEARS telling God that if He provides the space (and the income that will make us acceptable to an adoption agency) that I will take whomever He sends.  I’ve begged him to do this – and as of yet, he has not.  I am 43 – so hope that there is still time for my family and I within a couple more years!  But this doesn’t help the little ones, now.

One thing that grieves me is that most people who adopt want a healthy and whole child – at first blush that makes sense, I guess.  But in God’s kingdom it absolutely does not.  How I want to be able to take care of at least one of these children.

I will keep praying…and praying….and praying.  Please keep talking about these children!

19. Kristie says:

My husband and I have always felt called to adoption even SN adoption. Through your blog and others, we feel drawn to EE and Pleven in particular.  However,I am in PA school until Dec and my husband just learned that he is being laid off this month :(.  We plan on adopting as soon as we can!  I’m heart-broken for Tommy, and praying constantly!!!

20. Ashlee says:

Susanna, I know I just emailed you, but I forgot one question, is sweet Tommy eligible to be adopted by single mothers?

Ashlee, yes, as long as they meet the other requirements!

22. Lydia says:

Susanna,

Has Bianca been found by her family.  I notice she wasn’t in the list of Pleven children.

I am waiting to hear that the news is officially official before I make that announcement, Lydia! :)

24. Lydia says:

Yay!! Sorry for jumping the gun!

25. sabrina says:

When our eyes were first opened to the orphans of the world, especially those with special needs, we very quickly were open to adoption. It was natural for us to look around at other families we knew hoping more people would adopt.

A lot of families don’t qualify to adopt. We didn’t at first. But soon we realized that many families we know who would qualify have been vocal in sharing with us that they would not even welcome one more healthy biological baby into their families. It’s quite a leap from that place to being open to adopt a child with special needs.

We do need to keep praying for today’s church. God is working in people’s hearts and opening their eyes. He did that for us, and I’m sure He’ll keep doing it until He returns. Then, when He returns, He’ll put everything right.

26. Melissa says:

I found your blogin the fall so I missed this post until now and I just love knowing that you are Tommy’s family.  You are such an amazing encouragement and inspiration to so many.  Thank you for taking time to blog.