Feed on His faithfulness.

July 31st, 2012

Sunday evening, on the way to Delaware with my pretty Bulgarian princess…

…I pulled over to capture this photo.

We’ve enjoyed a terrific and unforgettable summer in spite of the many necessary medical appointments.

My heart is so happy to be your mama, Katie-girl.

Just waking up from sedation after receiving some ear tubes and tear duct stents.  And an auditory brainstem response test which revealed normal hearing, thank the Lord.

Thank you again, M, for keeping us company and taking the next two photos.  What a special moment to discover that all three of us women were adoptive moms.

Walking the halls as the sedation wears off.  Sweet girl did fabulously well and I’m so proud of her.

These three months have been extravagantly full of outings and time spent with some good friends.

As we begin our new academic year this week, our household is ready, our children are ready, our school materials are ready.  God has even provided no less than four mother’s helpers to lend a helping hand at regular times this year.

By late last Saturday night, everything was ready…except for the teacher.

I wrote to a circle of friends…

*Glug, glug* I am totally swamped and almost drowning in writing projects, and we’re starting school next week. I’d hoped to be caught up and even gotten ahead, but alas, it has not happened. Could someone pray for me? Thank you, sisters!

Here’s how it is.

My writing time has shrunk to a couple of hours each week…unless I write in place of sleeping.  Writing instead of sleeping has been manageable for relaxed summer days.  But it won’t work for a school year that will necessarily be as tightly scheduled as the year we had a 3 year old boy, twin 2 year old boys, and a newborn, in addition to five school-aged children.

Our children, late summer 2008~

Newborn treasure, autumn of 2008~

Weighing on me is a list of over a dozen known writing assignments, numerous photos and some videos to share, and photo troubles all throughout this blog that should be put right.  The blog layout is desperate for an overhaul.

I am hoping to finish these tasks in order of priority, the promised Help For Our Friends at the top of the list.  [I received a wonderful response and am so grateful to all who are allowing me this privilege!  I must beg your patience, as it’s taking much more time to put together than I had anticipated.]

Both a new story from Pleven and the Frequently Asked Questions post will be next on the priority list.

Even if this writing work was my full-time job, it would take considerable time to finish it all.

And there will be additional news from Pleven, more children who need families, more families who will find them, occasional updates about our little girls.

But next to no time to write.  And to teach these little ones properly, I need a brain that’s not chronically sleep-deprived.

Stephen, 4, Katie, 10

We have been seeing such fruit from the time I have spent blogging and emailing that I went to my heavenly Father for reassurance that He would not allow any little waiting children to suffer as a result of my time restrictions.

He did reassure me.

From Psalm 37~

“Trust in the LORD, and do good;
Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
Delight yourself also in the LORD,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

Commit your way to the LORD,
Trust also in Him,
And He shall bring it to pass.

Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him.

Do not fret, it only causes harm.”

Lord willing, I will keep taking every opportunity to write, but from now on, my blog posts will necessarily be fewer and further between.

As we throw ourselves wholeheartedly into this new year of teaching and learning together, I am grateful beyond words to have been allowed to so closely witness the marvelous work that God is doing to give parents to desperately needy and vulnerable little ones.

I’m grateful for the glimpse of countless hearts being moved and countless minds being changed, both toward God and toward the children He is rescuing.

I’m grateful that He is the one in charge of the work.

We are praying and trusting Him to raise up more and more families for the children.  More and more helpers to passionately advocate for the waiting children who are least likely to be chosen.

The waiting children…

Five year old Adam has been starved of all he needs most.  “I look at this child suffering for want of a surgery and see the face of Jesus on the cross. I wonder how this can exist in our world.”  ~Nina Thompson  nina.t@chiadopt.com

Has anyone considered adopting little Payton, who is eight years old and weighs only 17 lbs?  Eight years is way too long to wait in Pleven.  Email Shelley Bedford at shele337@yahoo.com or Stephanie Carpenter at stephanie.carpenter@lifelineadoption.org.

Read Amy Joss’s blog post about 12 year old Penny here.  Email Shelley Bedford at shele337@yahoo.com, or Stephanie Carpenter at stephanie.carpenter@lifelineadoption.org to inquire about adopting this small and shining girl who only weighs 21 lbs.

Read Andrea Low’s blog post about Owen here.  Email Andrea Roberts to ask about adopting this sweet four-year-old boy, who looks out of those eyes just like any other four-year-old boy does, asking, “Do you love me? bamaroberts@comcast.net

Tommy is a tiny, gentle fifteen-year-old boy whose entire childhood was spent lying alone and hungry in a crib.  Should he be imprisoned until death in an adult mental institution because he was thus criminally deprived of the opportunity to grow strong and able?   Right now, an agency has requested his file from his government, and there is an unconscionable delay.  Friends, please don’t stop pleading with the Lord to move for Tommy.  If any of you has an idea that God may be sending you for Tommy, please email Shelley Bedford as soon as possible!  shele337@gmail.com

We’re believing that God will finish the good work that He began.

Praying that He would continue to break the hearts of His people.

Depending on His goodness to sustain our family, and to sustain the little waiting children.

Feeding on His faithfulness.

14 Responses to “Feed on His faithfulness.”

1. Missy says:

Katie was awesome at the hospital. It was hard to not touch. :) But the “high five” hand squeeze was precious and made me feel like a rock star. When you took Katie to the bathroom I had time to chat with the nurse about the lack of medical care in other countries. That some conditions that we don’t see here are very common in other places. I always hope that my voice will be heard by people that can help. Thanks so much for letting me visit, it was a pleasure to meet you both.

2. Amy says:

Katie is looking so good!  She’s so beautiful.  Susanna, I have no idea how you keep up with everything.  You are an amazing mom and friend.  Our family will never forget yours.  Get some sleep.  :)  If we lived closer I’d come help!

3. Denise says:

Susanna,

Oh my dear friend.  I was so thankful to read this post.   To see that once again, you are grounded in WHO you are and WHY you are here and WHAT you are to be placing emphasis on.

It is easy to want to share, advocate, and do many good things, on blogs and so forth (trust me, it is my BIGGEST weakness)… it is much more important to be the women God has called us, to be loving our husbands, raising our children… we are too be caring for orphans and widows, and we MUST not stop that…. Balance is necessary, and it once again amazes me that you “get” that.

I am so thankful for you and all that you share.  I’d love to hear what your “schedule” for this upcoming school year looks like, but that would be another writing project and so I will look to HIM for ideas for our upcoming year.  (another weakness of mine, looking to others who seem to have it “together” and not depending enough on HIM)

Thank you again for ALL you do…and ALL you share.  I am blessed to know you.

PS:  We were at the MOMYS park yesterday after a visit to Miller’s–  not sure how far your home is from there, but we’d like to go to Millers 1x every other month if so…maybe we could meet up again.

4. Anna T says:

Dearest Susanna and famlily…Do we have an update on how Amelia is doing (I also went to the Brown’s blog)?  I was thrilled to see that God placed a rainbow in the sky for you, I LOVE rainbows and it brings to mind, “God keeps His promises”.  Praying for you as you get ready to begin a new school year…for your time to stretch or for your load to lessen (I often pray this for myself).  Blessings to your dear friend!!

5. Debbie says:

Susanna, I think of you often and check in on your blog at least once a day.  I understand that making these decisions about priorities must be so hard for your soft heart and and I’m glad you are taking the time and energy you have and devoting it to what is most important right now.  I will be so happy to hear updates and see pictures of your family when you are able.  Enjoy, enjoy this new beginning!

6. Kat says:

How did I not realize your family was also a fellow home school family?! Smile…

This was so encouraging this morning.  As satan works to place doubts my head, God keeps giving us confidence through words of His children.

Katie is such a beautiful little light that God’s glory just shines right through.

7. Johannah Back says:

Always love your updates on katie-how i wish the rest of her friends could be as blessed as she-praying that they find their forever homes soon!

8. Ginny says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for sharing God’s words in Psalm 37.  I have been fretting tonight after receiving bad news about my husband’s (incurable) cancer earlier today, wondering how we will pay for treatment, what treatment should come next (I disagree with the oncologist).  I MUST remember to trust in the Lord, commit it all to Him, and stop fretting!

9. Jennifer Deming says:

Thank you again for this post! I, too, am a homeschooling Mom (biological and adoptive).  It is so easy to get sidetracked by what doesn’t matter in this world – sometimes I believe that is the biggest evil in this world – if we weren’t so tempted by these distractions, it would be so much easier to always do right! It is so reassuring to read your posts because you are so grounded and not full of those wordly distractions.  God is working through you in so many ways – not just through the work you do and inspire with these precious orphans, but through your words – I needed to read Psalm 37 right now ( in fact, I think I need to print it out and post it in every room in my house).  May God continue to bless you.  I will continue to pray for you and your whole family throughout the school year.

10. stephanie says:

Hey dear sister,

I completely understand the “sleep deprived” or writing statement!  I will be praying for you!  You are always on my heart…even though I don’t keep in touch as well as I would like to!!!  LOVE YOU sister…praying for you!!!  HUGS and love from me to you!!! your sister…steph

P.s. LINA continues to grow at a rapid pace and it seems like little Avi will just not be out done…she grows just a bit more each time to stay just a tiny bit ahead of Lina…seems like they are competing with some sisterly competition!  We will be at the clinic in August…I will let you know when!

11. sabrina says:

Love the picture of Katie sitting next to her little brother!

12. Jamie says:

Katie’s smile is priceless!  I just love looking at your pictures and seeing how Katie fits right in.  She is just precious!!!!

13. Ann says:

Dear Katie, this note is from Clare, Millie, Kate, Adam and Karen Woslager. We love to see your pictures and watch you get big and strong.  We are waiting for our tiny sister Ella and our brother Gabe to come home soon. We hope our Ella grows strong and healthy just like you are doing. We hope your ears and eyes feel better.  Please know we think about you all the time and pray for your family.

14. Elizabeth says:

I’m so glad that the ABR showed normal hearing!