A day for happy mothers

May 13th, 2012

~To every mom who reads this blog,

may your children rise up and call you blessed!~

A happy mother with four sweet daughters–Laura, age 12, Jane, age 10, Katie, age 10, and Verity, age 22 months~

The same happy mother with seven fine sons–(left to right) Joseph, age 18, holding Peter, age 5, Daniel, age 16, holding James, age 5, Stephen, age 3, Joshua, age 15, holding John Michael, age 6~

P. S.  Here are two Happy Mother’s Day presents for you!

1)  Do you love seeing many sweet faces of children with Down syndrome, all in one place?  If so, you’ll enjoy watching the slideshow my friend Patti put together this weekend.  If you have a child of your own with Down syndrome, I’m warning you–you may need to have tissues handy!

2)  This one wasn’t originally going to appear on the blog but I was outvoted by my own family.  (Huh.  On Mother’s Day, too!)

We’ve been interviewed over the past several months by an extremely respectful, thorough, and professional newswriter named Tom Avril.  Our first news media experience was a painless one mostly because of both Tom and Michael, the photographer, who put us all at ease.  It would be hard to be more pleased with Tom’s careful and excellent handling of Katie’s story.

Tom told us Thursday evening that the story would appear in the Philadelphia Inquirer today, but he let us wait and be surprised by the fact that it was put on the front page!  We are so thankful for the wider exposure this may give the story, with all the greater potential to get more help to the children.  We thought you may especially enjoy seeing the two videos linked to on the site, especially the one that includes footage of Katie coming home.

32 Responses to “A day for happy mothers”

1. Amber says:

Great article, Susanna! I’m glad you got outvoted. ; )

Amber (we met at CHOP when my daughter had an appt there)

2. Deanna says:

Lovely photos, you are a happy and blessed mother!

3. Beth in Atlanta says:

I’m glad you got outvoted, too!   What a lovely article.

4. Trina says:

Happy Mother’s Day!  Thank you so much for letting us be a part of your journey!  (And I too am glad you got outvoted)

5. Missy says:

Hooraay!!!lI’m happy you linked to it. Now off to see the videos.

6. Lisa says:

Hi, Susanna.  We’ve met at Arch Street Presbyterian Church through your brother, Michael.  What a wonderful surprise to see you featured on the front page of today’s Inquirer!  You and your family are shining stars for the world to see.  When you were singing “Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah,” could it by any chance have been to the tune of “Cwm Rhondda”? The national gymanfa ganu is in Scranton, PA this year on Labor Day weekend.  Maybe we’ll see you and your beautiful family there. Haleliwia, Haleliwia, Moliant iddo byth, Amen!  ~Lisa

7. Jennifer says:

We were stunned when my parents called me to say that our future son’s orphanage was featured on the front page of the Inquirer!  Of course, we had no idea!!!  We said we were aware of you through this blog and our email exchanges, and they read with interest every word of the story.  Such an amazing, brave story to be told.  And so fitting that it was featured on Mother’s Day!  I hope your day was enriching and filled with happiness.  I’m so grateful you were able to feature the story of Pleven, and even more grateful that we are adopting a child from there too.  I can’t tell you the number of people who have asked me how they can specifically adopt from that orphanage!

8. Susan says:

What a wonderful article!  Front page coverage, too – Katie’s a celebrity! (but we knew that all along;-))

The video with recent “coverage” of your family is just great- Katie’s beauty and personality shine through so clearly. And the homecoming video served to remind me just how far she’s come since leaving the top floor of the Pleven orphanage. Newspaper coverage of Katie’s story will surely enlighten and inspire readers – what a great Mother’s Day “present”!

Congratulations to Katie, and to all of the Musser family!

Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from EE

9. sarah says:

Beautiful story and videos Susanna! Thank you for sharing. Praying for your family always.

10. Mary Kathryn says:

What a joy to read the article and watch those two precious videos!! Your family is so beautiful. Katie is priceless. God bless you with rest and joy.

11. Jen says:

I got quite a pleasant surprise today when I walked past the newsstand at the grocery store and saw you and your precious Katie staring up from The Philadelphia Inquirer, so I was waiting for you to post :) Happy Mothers Day to you and the other Plevin moms.

12. sabrina says:

I think it is such a miracle that God sent just the right family for Katie. Just the right woman to be her mother. She looks so healthy and beautiful and it’s because you have done such a great job with her. Happy Mother’s Day!

13. Anna T says:

Happy Mother’s Day Susanna!  I LOVE the article!  I’m so glad that you perservered through the trial of slow eating and it’s amazing (thank you Jesus) how quickly Katie has progressed to eating at a better rate (you’re inspring me to be patient when things are taking a loooong time).  YEA that your voice is back now too!  What a beautiful day to enjoy your dear children!  ((Hugs)), prayers and love!

14. Kristyn says:

What a wonderful article!  The difference between the two photos of Katie (first on your lap, then in the walker) are astounding, and a testament to the difference that love can make.  May the article bring more attention and support to the sweet children still in the orphanage.  Happy Mother’s Day!

15. Lauren says:

HAPPY Mother’s Day!!! Oh my! I was so EXCITED to read the article as well as see the video provided. How exciting to get the word out about Katie and the other children. I shared it with my family too, we were ALL excited about it. :O)

Lisa, there is no other tune for us! Guess what else we sang for Tom and Michael? “Onward, Christian Soldiers” to the tune of “Rachie,” but with all the verses. Our battle-cry for Katie’s adoption. (And the Thomas Tallis doxology as a four-part round–so fun! We may have gotten a little carried away!) Thanks for writing; I remember you very well. We’ll seriously consider the Scranton gymanfa ganu–so close to home!

17. cindy says:

I’m so glad the media project did get done, and very well done- to God be the Glory.  May many more lives be saved and changed through this.  Where was the radio interview you did some time ago?

Cindy, it was done for Pilgrim Radio, which is in Carson City, Nevada. The link to that interview’s right here: http://theblessingofverity.com/2012/02/radio-interview/

19. Jane says:

Susanna and Joe and all the kids…How wonderful to end my Mother’s Day (which was a wonderful one for me and my little family!) by reading the story and seeing the videos online!  It has been such a blessing to learn from you all, to learn from the love and mothering you give Susanna, and the love you share as a family.  Thank you for being blessings in my life’s journey.  From the moment I discovered your blog last year, praying for you all and witnessing your journey has enriched my own.  How great to get to see you all “live” on the video!

Happy Mother’s Day Susanna. May God Bless and Keep You.
    Jane in California

20. Rita from Spain says:

Wow! I Loved hearing you Susan talk in the videos and just love to see up close Katie and Verity together….: )) Awesome!

21. Rita from Spain says:

OH and a most happy happy mothers day!!!!!!!!!

22. Valerie says:

Happy belated Mothers’s Day! To a most cherished person! God bless you!!

23. Catherine says:

Way to go Susanna and family. You guys spoke wonderfully. Now off to pray that someone picks up that story and goes on to find their child :-)

24. LOVED the videos!!!  Such a treat to see your family and your two precious little girls!  Katie’s smile just melts my heart.  Hope your Mother’s Day was wonderful, Susanna.  You are such an encouragement and inspiration to seek for my wisdom and strength and joy from the Lord.

25. What a beautiful, beautiful girl! I’m sure she lights up your life every day. An inspiring story!

Much love to all your family,
    Marie

26. Elizabeth in NC says:

You have much to be proud of on Mother’s Day and every day!

27. Katie says:

Happy Mother’s Day, Susanna!  Look at that beautiful family!  What a blessing I know they all are to you, and what a blessing you all are to us!  I truly loved the article, and I’m glad you were outvoted too.  I know I’ve told you this, but coming across that one picture of Katie in her car seat, along with the phrase “she’s nine years old”… that changed my life.  No, it saved my life.  Because I was in a dark place, many bad things had happened in my life in 2011, and when I saw Katie and read your blog and looked at the faces on Reece’s Rainbow, I knew, that this was God’s way of giving me the purpose to my life that I thought I had lost.  He was working through all of you and He still is!  It warms my heart to think that other people might see this article now, that some of them might be in that same desperate place I was in, and that some of them might realize that there is a reason to keep pushing forward, there is something to fight for, God is GOOD and NOTHING is too big for Him!

I also want to mention my favorite bit of the article – when you told the doctors there was nothing remarkable about what you were doing – if only I could count the number of times I’ve said similar words with respect to my dear borrowed kids.  “You’re so amazing, I could never do what you do, they’re so lucky to have you…” on and on and on.  And I just look at them and think… at what point could I have made a different choice?  At what point could I have turned away from children who needed me and been okay with that?  I haven’t done anything extraordinary at all.  Those “choices” I made… were never really choices at all.

You are a humble servant of the Lord, and I think He is pleased with you.  Thank you and your family for letting His light shine through you.

28. Mandy says:

Beautiful mother of many :)

Thank you for being willing to be God’s hands & feet, for welcoming little Katie into your family and for sharing the blessings in your life with us.

Praying that the article and your testimony will touch people’s hearts and many more children will find families!

29. Joni says:

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful family! I loved reading the article, and the videos brought tears to my eyes – this is a very touching story!

30. Holly F. says:

Wow, stuff travels fast on this thing called the internet.  I had already seen a link to the article on facebook before this post.  Reading it a second time was even better though.  :)

You and Joe have such lovely children Susanna!  Happy Mother’s Day again!

31. Beck Gambill says:

Your family was wise to out-vote you! The article and especially videos were too great of a treat to miss! It is such a delight to see little Katie at home with her family. You are an inspiration, not because you are super woman but because you are a faithful woman. I feel in some small way that when I read your blog, just like the women in Titus 2, you are mentoring and instructing me on how to love and care for my family. I’m so grateful.

32. Wanda says:

I love you so much Dear sister in Christ . I am so thankful we were blessed to meet , I think and pray for you so often . I thank God for our special visit we were blessed with when meeting your family ! You are exactly as these women are posting about you . Praying we will meet again soon :) Thankyou so much for all the updates you give us . My family loves keeping up with everyone.