A time for rest

March 11th, 2012

The Cabin.

It holds many fun family memories for us, stretching back to 2002, when ten-year-old Jane was seven months old.  We’re appreciative that the owners still share it for $35 a night.   This year we were especially grateful for our first family vacation in two years–two very stretching years at that!

It’s perfect for our kind of vacation–

Not too much travel time, in the mountains, few chores, oldest clothes, our traditional simple Cabin meals, cozy indoors, unhurried time to sit and play games together (including hilarious late-night favorites around the kitchen table traditionally accompanied by Jelly Bellies), long, leisurely walks in all weathers, clear creeks and boulder-studded mountainsides to explore, hours spent reading aloud.

It feels like our home when we are there, but without the usual pressures.

And this time, several new family members were introduced to one of our favorite places to be.

Thank You, God, for the rest you knew we needed.

We all agreed that it wouldn’t be quite as a restful a vacation if we had to be picturesque for the blog, ahem.  Laura and Jane took lots of photos (thank you, girls, you did a good job!) and I chose a few that I thought captured the essence of our time of rest.  I snapped the few posed shots right before we left to go back home.

31 Responses to “A time for rest”

1. Debbie says:

what a perfect vacation spot!
    i’m so glad you were able to get away (without the stress of travel!) and relax together …i know it is hard to pack up six kids to go anywhere; when i saw that picture that had just everyone’s coats and shoes it made me think of how even a little trip away can be difficult to plan! you all truly deserve that time to rest and regroup and enjoy the simple pleasures of nature and family and time…
    there is a picture of katie in the stroller, with a sister peeking in the corner, and the sun is on her face; it just looks like she is shining!
    what is that large stone structure (right before the picture of those cute boys playing uno) – footing of an old bridge?
    thanks to the girls for their photography skills and to everyone for posing!  all the pictures are great!

Debbie, it’s an old forge; isn’t it quaint?

3. Christie says:

Oh how fun! Have a wonderful Vacation!

4. Alysia says:

I love the pictures.  I especially love the last one of the kids on the couch. I love the way you fit them all on one couch in such an organized way!

5. Tammi says:

Smiles here……..

6. So happy that you got a break! What a gorgeous place explore.

7. I LOVE the contrast of the older 3 boys- so big, almost grown to the younger boys- so sweet and still little! (in the last picture on the couch) Beautiful pictures! Thank You for sharing!

8. Rita from Spain says:

OH Susanna, ITS LOVELY!!! Just the type of place I owuld love to go to as well….VERY quaint! You have a lovely family…..HUgs…

9. Rita from Spain says:

Btw, Love the pic of you and your husband….: )

10. Aunt Carol says:

Am so glad you and your family had this wonderful opportunity to get away together in the great outdoors.

11. Missy says:

I’m so glad you were all able  to get away and relax. How did the youngest two react to a new place to sleep and play? Such an adventure!

12. Carolyn says:

Your oldest boys are really young men now aren’t they?  I love to see how careful they are of their little brothers.  I’m glad you had some time to relax.

13. Deanna says:

Wonderful photos of your time away.  It looks beautiful and restful!

14. cindy says:

You are blessed;

15. Gail says:

Oh, that looks like so much fun!  We love camping!  Thanks for sharing the photos with us!

16. Shari says:

Ahhh, BEAUTIFUL!  The last one with all 11 on the couch brought tears to my eyes!  Praise the Lord for all 11 blessings!

17. Joy says:

How wonderful! Rest for you!! If there is ANYONE I know who deserves it, it’s YOU! (((hugs))) Beautiful pics!

18. Joy says:

BTW, that’s the first time I’ve seen you in PANTS! ; )

19. What a wonderful place!! I’ve been following your story unfold since… well, since you were expecting Verity <3 Seeing Katie’s full CHUBBY face brings such tears of joy. You are an amazing Mama!

20. Lara Font says:

fantastic!!  I want to go!  :)

21. Adriana says:

Happy for you…what a blessing,
    sounds like a perfect family time!
    The pictures are really nice… thank you for the glimpse, heartwarming!

Missy, your question will be answered in the upcoming Katie-update! :)

Joy, you already know we don’t have beliefs against them. Well, we began to have reasons in favor of them. :)

24. JessicaD says:

I must tell you. You have made an impact on my little family. Saturday we were at a wedding. A few benches ahead of us was a little baby that my 4yo spotted. He kept watching the baby and then! He spied it and nearly burst out loud, “Mama, that baby has a feedy thing just like that little girl on your ‘puter.”    Yes. I was charmed. The stories I tell him and pictures he LOVES to see really are sinking in. :)

At the reception, we went to talk to the baby’s mama. Little One is also being adopted and is very ill – has CF. When we left their table, my son (George) reminded me that the girl on my ‘puter is not a baby, just really tiny. Whereas the Little at the wedding is truly a baby. :)

25. Melanie McNitt says:

Looks like a wonderful vacation! My dad is one of 16 children. (8 boys, 8 girls, no twins, all biological.) My Grandma will be 101 next month and still lives on her own! I so enjoy seeing your children happy and loving life. My dad does not have good memories of growing up in a family so large. They lived on a dairy farm and he remembers only work and no one on one time with his parents. I grew up thinking negatively about large families (from his perspective).  Anyway, all this to say thank you for opening my eyes to the joys of large families! It’s interesting to me that he has bad childhood memoris, as he and his 15 siblings ALL get along and have a great time together! I have 44 first cousins on his side of the family and have only good memories of very large family gatherings. Thanks for sharing your family with us.

26. Amy P says:

Susanna:  So great to see you guys all together again. Katie is right where she belongs and where the Lord always knew she would be:)

Amy P

27. Holly F. says:

Beautiful!  I have to admit I’m a bit jealous of your vacation spot!  But I’m so happy y’all are getting some rest and relaxation!

Holly, we would be happy to share the contact info of the owners if you want it. It’s not too far out of your travel range, I think? Please feel free to email me for it if you like! :)

Melanie McNitt, Joe’s grandmother was the oldest child in an unhappy large family. If she were still alive, she would be scandalized to learn that we were living in her house with eleven children! :)

30. Sandy C. says:

Wow. I have just read your entire story in under a week. I could not stop reading, every day several entries at a time.  I would forget that Verity was already past her surgery and agonize over her healing, and wept over Katie even as my logical brain was telling me she was safe in your hearts and home by now. Thank you for sharing this journey. I am committed to praying for you and those who are bringing these beautiful children out of darkness and into His Light.  Even though you wrote about your struggles during a pregnancy and adoption, your theme of trusting God has helped me immensely in my struggle to remain married despite Satan’s attacks and his planting of an idea in my husband’s mind that he isn’t cut out to be a husband and we should end our marriage. At a time when I could feel my heart hardening against him, God placed your blog in front of me and melted the stone inside as I read about, ‘met’ and loved Verity and then Katie. You are truly blessed to have all of your children, especially those with a little something extra.  I have renewed strength and purpose to focus on God and allow Him to work in myself and my husband.  Thank you, thank you, thank you. I don’t know if you will ever understand how you and your family have ministered to me this week.

31. Lorena says:

So glad you had a rest together, Susanna.  And I must say, you are all picturesque even when you’re not trying!  :)