The mercy of God

February 13th, 2012

God said “YES!” to our prayers!  Three tiny girls from Katie’s former orphanage made it to Tokuda Hospital today!

Yes, I said “girls.”

Butler has an intestinal bug and is in isolation at the orphanage, so they looked for a third child who is suffering extreme malnutrition and in rough shape, and chose Kolina.

Remember Kolina?  She turned nine years old in December.

She’s being adopted by my friend Linda Duncan along with another little girl from a different orphanage.

Liliana, Sophia, and Kolina are now safely in the Tokuda Hospital in Bulgaria.

Liliana, who sat on Reece’s Rainbow for years, passed over, unchosen.

Sophia, who would have stayed unregistered and invisible to the end of her days, had she not appeared briefly on a Youtube video which was seen by her adoptive mom.

Kolina, who until the end of last year was also invisible and not available for adoption.

You know, if someone has a sturdily Biblical understanding of the world, they are not amazed to hear about cruelty, bullying of the weak by the strong, selfishness, hard-heartedness, corruption.

Grieved?  Yes!

Angered?  Yes!

Compelled to resist the evil?  Yes!

But surprised?  No.  Evil is a given in a fallen world, and to be expected.  Those who reject this reality do not understand the nature of mankind or its history.

According to all reasonable expectation in the normal course of events, these three girls with Down syndrome would die in obscurity, unnoticed and unloved.

According to the assertions of many consistent materialists, they should never have been allowed to live at all.

They certainly would not be in the best hospital in their country, being tenderly examined and cared for by the top pediatricians in their country, free of charge.

They would not have families who love them with all their hearts and can’t wait to bring them home.

That is the mercy of God.

And that, my friends, is truly amazing.

“I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy.”  ~Yahweh

34 Responses to “The mercy of God”

1. stephanie says:

LOVE YOU!!!! ON MY way to Harrisburg and getting docs back in a fed ex by 5 for you know who that is you know where!!!

Praise our LORD!!!!! HE IS able to do above and beyone what we can think or imagine…I surely wanted little JEREMIAH to go with his sisters but all along I thought If ONLY THEY COULD TAKE KOLINA TOO!!!!!

I was praying she could go along!!!

PRAISE THE LORD…love you…on my way out the door for docs!!!!!
    steph

2. CHRISTINE says:

God is good!! I will continue to keep all the lovies in my prayers!

3. Heather McFarland says:

Crying yet again!  Just shared the news with my 11 year old daughter.  We have been praying.  It is so great to be able to share with her the work of the Lord!

4. Great news for these sweet girls and their families!

5. Sarah says:

God’s mercy is beautiful to behold.  Beautiful.  Any updates on Samaritan?

6. Mommaofmany says:

Praises to Him who provides!  I’m so glad they got there safely.  Will Butler be able to join them when he is well?

7. Maria says:

“Oh-oh Praise Him!!!” (in a sing-song voice)

8. Missy says:

I wish I could hear the conversations in the hospital. Has the hospital staff seen Katie’s latest pictures? Seeing God’s work is powerful. Are there babas in the hospital? Oh I am so happy for these little ones.

9. Valerie says:

Beautiful,
    Beautiful,
    Beautiful,
    Beautiful!!!! God IS so very, very, very (did I say VERY) great!

10. Jennifer says:

Worthy of awe, worthy of adoration is Our Father!!

Missy, I have emailed “after” photos of Katie to Dr. L, who was delighted to see them. :) No, no babas in the hospital. I am praying that the girls feel safe and not afraid in the strange place.

Momma of many, I don’t know what the future holds for any of the children, but I have very high hopes in a very great God!

Sarah, their new board members will begin their duties next month, at which time I hope to write another letter. :)

12. Anne Ross says:

Beautiful Post and tears of happiNess These angels are getting some care!!!!!!

13. Christy says:

Praise the LORD!!!!!

14. Milena says:

Such great news! What a relief to know that they are cared for!

15. Sasha Bliss says:

Great news!  I am really happy to hear that.  Praise God!

16. Vicky Theroux says:

Praise god!  I hear all the time for people who think god isnt listening b/c they dont have a constant stream of blessings.  They ask for the wrong miracles.  He hears our prayers, if they are given unselfishly for the good of the most vulnerable.  I am so happy your publicity of these horrors in Katie’s country has made these changes happen.  They are in time to do SOME good, for countless children who have been hidden away and forgotten by the world.  I will try not to think about all the children before, who had no voice, who died as these children were destined to, but for your intervention.  Bless you and keep your katie bird safe :)

17. Sorry I’ve not posted in awhile- I’m still having computer issues. But we have all continued to pray for your family and those orphans left in Katie’s orphanage also. This is such a great update… “Aslan is on the move” (my children love the Narnia books)!  God bless you!!!

18. Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!  I spoke of this at our home school group this morning and have been praying….so excited that they are going to be getting help!!! THANK YOU for continuing to blog for this! You are loved….have someone HUG you for me! ALWAYS BLESSED, (Ethan’s Mommy)

19. Dawn Wright says:

PRAISING GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  WAHOOOOOO!!!!!

20. Susan says:

So thankful and relieved to learn this good news. What a blessing for these three precious little girls. I do hope “Butler” will soon be better and will receive the health care he also needs, both while he’s in the orphanage and perhaps more specific and intensive care at this wonderful hospital later.
    Thank you so much for keeping all of your many readers so well-informed, Susanna! And thank you for involving us in Katie’s ongoing miracle, which now is also a miracle for other children…
    Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from EE

21. Praise God!

Some friends of ours recently did a documentary on adoption  rescuedthemovie.com  You may be interested in it.  I’m doing a giveaway for the movie on my blog (open until Wednesday Feb. 13) http://www.largefamilysmallworld.com

22. Joleigh says:

I was holding myself together pretty well while reading this until I saw the “Aslan is on the move” comment, and then I got this mental image of Him walking around in fur and breathing on all those little people in their lonely cribs.  It is so good to know that God is moving on behalf of all the little ones in Katie’s former orphanage.  My prayers for Bulgaria continue!

23. sabrina says:

Such a blessing to read this. Are most of the extremely malnourished children getting families?

24. Carla says:

Woo Hoo!  Yay God!

25. Missy says:

I will be praying for those little ones in the hospital to feel God’s love. I will pray for them to touch more hearts. I will pray that God covers them in safety and strength.

26. Rilla says:

All I can say is PRAISE GOD!!!

27. Cinderellamomy says:

SO happy!  Thanks be to God!!

28. Shari says:

Praise the Lord!!

I’m glad to hear you’ve sent “after” pictures of Katie.  I’m sure seeing the change in her is encouraging to those compassionate workers!

29. Linda says:

Susanna, You are an angel of mercy, not only for saving Katie Bird, but for your continued support of all the children left behind.  What an awesome advocate you are.
    Praise to the King for his mercy on these babies!  Thank you Lord for shining your light on them so we could find them!

30. Kelly says:

Hello suzanna, my name is Kelly and I have been reading your blog for quite a while.  I have felt the call to adopt but my husband doesn’t want to, so I am trying all I can to help these little ones.  I was going to put together a presentation of Reece’s Rainbow and SN orphans to share with my church and was wondering if I could use some of your pictures and story of Katie?  I am going to make a movie/slide show that shows the horrid conditions these little ones have to suffer in in hopes of stirring hearts to act.  I have permission from RR and am getting brochures in the mail.  Now i just need some pictures and stories to share.

God bless and thank you!!
    Kelly

Kelly, emailing you…

32. Amy Rainey says:

Prayers answered again.  Thank you, Jesus!

33. Judy says:

As a medical professional, I would like to think that the more an outside hospital, with Western standards, sees and treats these kids, the sooner their abusive orphanage treatment will end.  Am glad you have sent “after” pictures, keep sending them, and include the nurses and administrators of the hospital in the updates.