How can we help?

February 20th, 2012

“I think so many just see this crisis as something happening on another planet, and they think they must visit this other planet to make a difference.  But your blog is evidence enough that every little thought, gift, and donation makes a huge difference.”  ~a blog reader

If you have asked, “I wonder how we can help in a practical way,” this post is for you!  Thank you to every one who has an open heart to help!  God will bless your loving obedience!

Any time

You can continue to pray with fervency and focus that every single child with special needs in Katie’s former orphanage (the children who won’t be adopted by Bulgarians, and even those formerly considered “unadoptable!”) will be made available for adoption, and that God would have their families ready and waiting to commit to them!  Pray for every barrier to be removed!  We are seeing signs of hope that God might soon grant these ongoing requests!

You can take the time to research what the requirements are for adopting one of these little ones as they become available.  If someone is going to close the door, I appeal to you–let it be God and not you.  You can absolutely trust Him to direct your way.  If God is who He says He is, there is no reason to fear when following Him.  God is who He says He is.

You can spread the word in your local congregation and community in creative ways.  Most people have no idea that this type of mistreatment of children with special needs is going on in the world today.  Be ready to give them a list of ways they can help!

You can go further than sending money, and do a fundraiser for an adoptive family with your friends.  For one example out of many, you can take a planned yard sale one step further and turn it into a fundraiser, complete with local newspaper article, posters and flyers.  You may be surprised at how many people would be eager to donate their extra stuff to help.  This will be a huge blessing to an adoptive family!

You can stick with one family throughout their adoption process and beyond, offering moral support and practical help.  Let them know you are covering them with prayer.  You can do this face-to-face when possible, or through phone calls, emails, snail mail, and/or blog comments.   If adoption is spiritual warfare, reclaiming children the enemy thought he had in his grasp, then the adoptive families are soldiers on the battlefield.  They need to know that their Christian brothers and sisters have their backs, especially when they are worn down by the fight!

You can donate to charities who are collecting needed items, sending volunteers, and hiring babas—these folks make a difference in the children’s lives.  If you want more information about this, please ask for it in a blog comment.

You can apply to the volunteer organizations to spend a couple of weeks or a couple of months directly caring for the children.  Again, please ask for more info in a blog comment.

You can ask a family adopting from this orphanage if you can help them collect orphanage donations to take with them.

You can give or solicit quality donations, including gift certificates, to the Hidden Treasures auction.  Most people you ask will be happy to donate a gift certificate once they understand the purpose!  The purpose of these fundraiser auctions is to financially help families bring little ones home from Katie’s former orphanage.  The generosity of so many during the last auction brought the Archer family $2352 closer to bringing home their precious Noah, Moses, and Jacob!  Quality donations will keep the auction going for future families.  We plan to continue holding the auctions every other month, on the first seven days of the month.  So you have plenty of time to brainstorm and collect items and gift certificates for the Tiniest Unroe auction April 1-7!

You can help spread the word about the auctions, posting them in your Facebook pages and blogs or emailing around to your contacts.  The more we increase the base of folks who bid in the auction, the more money we will ideally generate for these adoptions.

Heads-up!

You can be ready to advocate for the children as soon as they are made available for adoption.  Get ready to share their story and photos wherever you can!

You can stay tuned for news of a fund that is being formed to help defray the costs of providing medical care for the children who need it.

There is a possibility that at least one group may form to volunteer at the orphanage during the weeks in August that the babas are on vacation.  We’ll let you know more as we hear more!

A few key people are beginning to brainstorm about the possibility of forming medical missions teams to go in to Katie’s former orphanage for short and long term service, ideally in conjunction with the efforts of the Tokuda Hospital.  Pediatricians, family practice doctors, nurses, dentists, dental hygienists, therapists, and other pertinent specialists will be welcome, if they are willing to raise their own support.  This will also be an opportunity for the rest of us to give!

Depending on what we find out from those in authority, we may need the help of a licensed social worker for a limited period of time.  Again, we’ll say more about that if it does end up being an avenue we can pursue.

[Note to our friends:  Please feel free to comment to this post with your own suggestions of how to help.  Further ideas will be added to this post if they are suitable and not redundant.  Thank you so much for your help!]

12 Responses to “How can we help?”

1. stephanie says:

AMEN susanna!!!!!  love you and all these kids because the LORD first LOVED us!!!

2. Kathy says:

This situation has been heavy on my heart. I am praying. I would like infor. abt. possiible medical mission to pass on to my dtr. who is a nurse.

3. Hollie says:

Please also ask folks to spread the word about the auctions, posting them in their Facebook pages and own blogs or just emailing around to their contacts. The more we increase the base of folks who bid in the auction, the more money we will ideally generate. I shared the last auction on Facebook, and two of my cyberspace acquaintances bid and won!

If folks want to contribute to the auction but need ideas, please send them to me. I know Amy’s so busy, and I have a lot of super easy and inexpensive and creative ways for kids and moms to contribute items for bidding.

Thanks so all that you do, Susanna. For these beloved children and your own beautiful (and dare I say pleasantly and beautifully chubby) bird.

4. Amy Rainey says:

This is a wonderful post, Susanna!  There truly is a way for each and every person who reads it to be involved in the rescue of these precious children.  Thank you, Hollie, for spreading the word about the auction!   And, indeed, Hollie is full of wonderful ideas!  :)

May the world be stunned by the number of people who show in tangible ways that they care about those who were once forgotten.

Thank you, Hollie!! May I post your email address, please?

xoxo

6. Hollie says:

Certainly you may!

7. Megan says:

Hi! I have been lurking for many many months and check your site daily.  I am also a physical therapist- i work mainly with adults but have some pediatric clients as well. I have been looking at some websites that connect therapists with short term opportunities in orphanages, but several seem to desire a longer-term commitment.  i have a one-year-old, but i would LOVE the opportunity to serve in a short term capacity, if that would be helpful, and if I could get everything coordinated with my family.  I am by no means an expert on pediatric physical therapy, but my heart burns to do more than give money (which I am already doing).

8. Katie says:

Thank you for the wonderful post.  I want to let you know that though I’m not a doctor or a nurse or even any kind of therapist, I have a degree in public health which qualifies me to assess health needs, plan, implement and evaluate health intervention programs.  I’ve planned adult and child health education, run a car seat distribution and education program through the health department, put on health fairs, basically my job is to coordinate people, adults, teach them how to be healthy, teach them how to empower others to be healthy, promote healthy behavior and attitudes with regards to raising and working with children – physical, mental and social.  As I watch from afar what’s going on with these children, I constantly wish I could put those skills to use to help them… to educate caregivers about what they need, to implement positive interventions for them, all kinds of stuff that I did in college, I can’t stop thinking about how I could apply it to help.  So please, if you know of anything I could do, I have an open heart and mind and I want to do everything in my ability to make a difference while I wait to be personally eligible to adopt.  I begged on the RR forum recently for someone to help show me where to go, what to do, how to help.  God is telling me that right now I need to focus on ordering my life in a way that will prepare me to adopt, but that while I’m doing that I can be doing other things too.  He just hasn’t shown me what all “other things” entails yet.  But I’m keeping my heart, mind and ears open – so please know that I hold every one of those kids in my heart as though they were my own, I’m in their corner and I’ll do anything in my ability to help.  I pray for them constantly.  It’s like it’s not even a dedicated prayer anymore, my life is in a constant state of prayer, of asking God to help, of being on my knees before Him.  I collect pennies in an empty bottle, because even though I’m unemployed and money is tight, I can spare the pennies I find when I clean, and if enough people do that, they’ll add up.  I think I’m going to try to do most of my gift-buying in a way that will help these kids too – through the auctions, sales, anything that benefits them.  I’m hoping to get involved in a localish family’s fundraising efforts to bring their daughter home from Katie’s former orphanage.  I’ve searched out as much as I could to do, but I would still love to use my professional knowledge to help, I just don’t know how… so please, if you know of a need that I might be good at filling, pass my name and email along, or let me know.  I want to be “out there”.  I want everyone to know I’m available to help… just grab me up!

You’re awesome, as usual.  Thanks for your update on the three girls also (combining comments now).  And please tell your friends in B. that they are amazing and doing God’s work and that people across the globe are praying for them and praising God for putting them in the children’s lives.   I can’t wait to see Liliana and all of her sweet little friends come home, leave that place they were in and never look back.  God is moving in a huge way for these kids.  I’ve never seen anything like it before in my life, and I feel so privileged to experience it.

9. Jennifer says:

Susanna, I’m so glad you posted this!  I’m eager to have more information about donating to charities who are collecting needed items, sending volunteers, and hiring babas.  I’d also love to connect with a family adopting from Katie’s former orphanage to help collect orphanage donations.  Also, can you connect me with information to the volunteer organizations for short-term assignments in caring for the children? Your sweet family remains in my thoughts and my prayers.  Doubtful you know the impression you’ve made on my heart and my life with this little blog of yours!

10. Heather says:

Susanna,
    Thanks for your postings.  Could your please connect me with  a volunteer organization for a short-term assignment to help care for the children.  I do not have a medical background but am an Early Childhood Special Educator.  Thank you!

Heather, thank you.

This is the organisation that provided the volunteers who were there when I was in August: http://www.tbact.org/volunteer.htm

Could you please let me know what transpires as time goes on? I would dearly love to hear about it!

Heather, also, could you please email Stephanie Carpenter about her plans to organize volunteers for the baba’s vacation time in August? nusker1@hotmail.com

Thank you so much, Heather!