The right therapist!

January 4th, 2012

Verity resumed therapy today after a two-month break.

We got to see our beloved Miss Marcia!  She has been a tremendous help and encouragement to me with Verity’s past feeding issues and current fine motor skill development.

Strength is built from the inside out.  Fine motor skills are dependent on the core strength.  Refined hand skills are dependent on core and arm strength.  So Miss Marcia has a lot of expertise in the area of physical therapy, as well as being a feeding specialist and occupational therapist.  She is an unusually gifted and compassionate therapist, and we love her!

We had missed her over the past two months, but Verity took to her again quickly.

Katie took to her, too, after sizing her up during Verity’s allotted hour.

At the end, while Miss Marcia wrote up her notes about Verity, Katie rolled toward her and giggled.

Miss Marcia asked us if we plan to start Katie’s therapy soon.  I explained that due to various considerations, we had decided to pursue private therapy rather than registering her with the special education department of our local public school district.  And that I needed to make phone calls to area therapists to collect more information.

She didn’t get the whole sentence out before she choked up.

“I would like to offer you my services for Katie at no cost.”

Something had happened to my voice, too, when I tried to answer her.

Praise JEHOVAH OUR PROVIDER!!!!!!

75 Responses to “The right therapist!”

1. Brandy says:

That is just so wonderful!  Happy tears for you!

2. Connie says:

I have no doubt that God’s hand is on that girl!! And on your whole family!  I have been thanking Him for His care of the children in Katie’s former orphanage too! We serve a mighty God.

3. Carolyn says:

This makes me want to do my little happy dance.  :-)

4. Lara Font says:

what a blessing!!!  choked up here with happy tears too!

5. Gwendolyn from MOMYS says:

Amazing!  I’m crying happy tears here, too! What a blessing!

6. Kelly O'Connor says:

That just gave me chills!

7. ChristiM says:

God is SO good! What an amazing, blessed journey you are on!

8. Joy says:

Ditto on the chills!!!  That is SOOOOOOOOOOO cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Tami Swaim says:

This is wonderful.  This comment is coming from someone who travels 45 minutes to an hour one way weekly with two little boys to therapy, often with the rest of the brood hanging out in the lobby  BECAUSE I know how important having ‘the right therapist’ is!  Also, I do this because I have my reservations about informing the school about our children’s special needs; though this will be unavoidable when the oldest of the two turns 8.  Joel will be registered next school year as being homeschooled and the hope is there won’t be much interference with the school specialist due to his label of autism.  Our other son has speech apraxia which I think the school system wouldn’t feel the need to be as invasive as they may be with Joel.  It’s all in Jehovah Jireh’s hands.  We do not fear.

10. Tami Swaim says:

From a friend of mine on Facebook:

Liesl Seiver Dunlap I spent hours reading old posts on her blog. Wish she would write a book! Just an amazing story and she is an incredible writer! Can not believe how well this little girl is thriving!

Tami, I’m not on FB, but maybe you can tell me about her story next time you come over. Hint, hint! :)

12. Karen says:

Susanna,
    I read your post with a lump in my throat.  Praise be to God on High who provides for ALL our needs.

13. Justine says:

Glad I hadn’t put in my contacts yet this morning as my tears came spilling out.  God is our provider!!!So thrilled for you, Katie, Verity, and the therapist.  Live are being changed forever.

14. That just made my eyes well up!!  Our God is so faithful!  :)

15. Dawn Campbell says:

LOve following your blog…IF you decide to do both, private and school therapy, you could register your sweet girl as homebound and special services such as vision therapy, speech/language, OT, and PT could come to your house where Katie is more comfortable. They could also help you get the needed tools/toys/manipulatives to your home as part of school support.  That is what we did for our precious one ; ) We do private and school therapies.

Dawn, thank you for your suggestion! We checked with the local SPED about homebound services and immediately ran into multiple obstructionist techniques. We know that path nearly always involves lots of time and emotional energy wrangling and fighting to try to get the gov’t to do what it is required by law to do, when it’s not the gov’t’s role to be doing that in the first place. We do NOT believe it’s morally wrong to use gov’t help! This is NOT a pride issue! We are using EI for Verity, and never met with a big battle. The whole thing reminds us of our years of battling insurance companies, and how glad we are to be free of that now. Anyway, we love–LOVE!–to see God provide in other ways, just to show that he CAN! So after extensive conversations with the local director of SPED, and between Joe and me, we decided to check out the private route, and hadn’t even gotten as far as looking in the telephone directory for therapists when Marcia gave us her beautiful gift. We still need to find someone to fit the adaptive equipment to Katie, so still have phone calls to make! :)

17. Lorena says:

God bless Miss Marcia, real good!!  God just never ceases to provide for the needs of his beloved children, does he?!

18. You know … I am constantly pulling up your blog to share with friends, family, co-workers … anyone who has a spare moment!  Everyone is just amazed with how God is working :)  I have strong faith that you will find a provider to make Katie’s adaptive equipment.  I also want to thank you for clarifying in a past post that Katie was not the girl featured in the video of the Serbian orphanage.  I had been quite confused about that as the other Katerina did not resmble your little Katie Bird.  I also wanted to let you know that I cannot get over how incredibly adorable Katie’s giggles are in the video where she is playing on the floor.  Contagious giggles for sure!

Keep up the great blogging!
    Janet – mom to Aziza

19. Melissa says:

PRAISE GOD!!!!!

20. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

What a happy event for you — you already know and love her and now she’ll be in your home even more, blessing and being blessed.  I know the Lord WILL repay her richly for her services.  He always pays great returns on investments, especially ones like this.  : )

21. Anne says:

I continue to be amazed at what God is doing with your family and with Katie Bug He has really provided.  As tears swell in my eyes I can only pray and hope and Believe that God is this faithful to all ORphans.  We too are in a very difficult adoption.  We found a last Chance child last year in Oct and we have went threw opposition after opposition and its a miracle we have got this far. We found out that his momma died 2 yrs ago, had to be in orphanage a year before rights terminated then another year after rights terminated which was Nov 9.2011 then we could petition to adopt but we had to get a I600 in before 16 birthday in March 2011 and in June we found out he has a 8 year old brother so we are going after the both of them. We finally got an agency that would represent us after going threw 2 agency and a lawyer. God sent the one He wanted for us in Oct and we now are waiting to get our papers submitted, tried before Christmas but would not take.  As you needed a Miracle in so many ways for this precious baby, we need a Miracle too.  A miracle of Favor and Mercy in the eyes of the judges and Provision to keep moving forward. God has been so faithful and He has done so much just to get this far. As I watch what God has done in your situation and hers my Faith still grows and I am holding on to Gods promises He has given us from the get go in this Journey of ours.  Thank you for sharing please dont stop. They are such an encouragement to those that are in the fire right now trying to do what GOD has called us to do and just trying to TRUST Him to know He really does have it all WORKED out.  Prayers Needed.. Thanks so much. I think your whole family is beautiful.  and Katie is just amazing beautiful you took a chance and have gotten the prize at the  bottom of the Cracker Jack box…

Anne, thank you for telling me a little of your story. Praying for you right now! You are absolutely right that God has it worked out already! Keep your eyes on Jesus!!

23. April (justonemorebaby) says:

My voice has gone somewhere too. PTL!!

24. Katherine Lauer says:

Praise be to God! Our Father provides!

25. Leslie Lehmer says:

I’m reading this a full (almost to the day) two years later and I choked up. What an unimagined blessing! Our God is good.
    Leslie