Katie’s first word

January 19th, 2012

There is so much joy in my heart for all that God did yesterday!  He did more than we asked for, and not just in Bulgaria!

“What a blessing and great joy, for God to bring us together from all across the US and Canada in this group.  Then to connect us by faithful prayers.  He truly is our strength!

WOW!  I don’t even have good enough words for what He has done!  I thank Him for connecting me to all of you, to see His wondrous works.  This is a day I don’t think any of us will forget!  I’m blessed to have gone through it with all of you!!”  ~Elizabeth Archer, who with her husband Tom is adopting 3 LuvBugs, Moses, Noah, and Jacob, from Katie’s former orphanage

I want you to know as much as possible about the answers He gave to our prayers yesterday, so I’m collecting stories from some of the other moms who are adopting from Katie’s orphanage.

In the meantime, I have something to ask of you and something to give to you.

Prayer is powerful and effective and avails much!  Jesus told us to keep on asking.  We don’t have to wonder whether it’s His will for us to pray for the little ones Katie left behind!

~There is a certain stack of documents sitting on a certain official’s desk in Bulgaria.  Until you hear that they have been signed, please pray for that official to pick up her pen and sign her name to those papers.  Each of those documents represents the life of a child!

~Until you hear that the last child with special needs from Katie’s former orphanage has officially been made available for adoption, could you please pray that every child’s file is listed with the MOJ as soon as possible?  Each of those files represents the life of a child!

~And could you please pray that God would pave the way for the hospital team to assess the at-risk children in Katie’s former orphanage?  Until you hear that this has occurred, assume that the enemy will throw up roadblocks, and please pray accordingly!  Pray for the life of each child as if he or she was your own flesh and blood!

Thank you, friends!  I am so grateful for every one of you who has been doing this hard work of praying so faithfully and fervently!  God is hearing and answering!  He can break up every log-jam!

And now, may I present the videos I promised you?

Ta-da!  Our determined Katie-bird has very cleverly come up with a way to say…

45 Responses to “Katie’s first word”

1. EG says:

I love her clever way of speaking and I love her pudgy little forearms!  And a big HOORAY for answers to prayers!

2. Sara says:

Oh, so sweet to hear that “mama!” What precious, precious girls. Will be praying for those papers, those files, those lives.

3. Nancy says:

Precious!  What a smart girl to figure that out!  :)  And I love the little pudgy arms – what a difference two months can make!

4. Heather says:

Proud of Miss Verity too!  She knows how to say Mama VERY well!

5. SusanH says:

One of the families who are in that stack waiting belong to our homeschool co op.  We are fervently praying for the signature so that they can go get 5 of their blessings – only one is in Katie’s former orphanage, but they all need to be home!

I am still amazed at the change in Katie with only 2 months of food and love!

6. Candice says:

OHMYSTARS!  I just want to reach out and give her the biggest hugs and kisses on those cheeks!  What a happy little sweetheart (Verity, too!)…praise be to God!!!!!!

7. Marilyn Osborn says:

Precious!!!!!!!!!!!  BOTH precious!!!!!!!!

8. Rilla says:

Look at the dimples in those hands!!

9. Beck Gambill says:

What a privilege to pray for those vulnerable little ones with no voice. Thank you for telling us how.

Oh those girls are delightful! What a joy to see the hunger gone from Katie’s eyes and the contentment of being with her “Mama”!

10. Sarah L says:

Oh, Katie is looking so very pleasantly plump!!! :)

11. Jillian says:

Thank you SO much for posting these!!! I think this is the first video I’ve seen of Katie. What a precious little doll! I can’t wait to see more of her. ;)

12. Shanel says:

My husband is crying tears of joy over this video!! We are so amazed to see her grow and thrive every day!!

13. Lynn says:

They are both so beautiful and precious.

14. Caroline says:

How wonderful that Katie is finding her voice – and how clever of her to find a way of doing it even while her mouth muscles are not yet strong enough to cooperated. Thank you for sharing these blessings with us.

15. Deanna says:

Joe told me on Sunday that she was using her hand to say Mama!  How exciting!  I love her giggle in the first video, too!
    Verity is sweet saying Mama, as well.  She is a precious girl – so is the now chunka munka Katie!

16. cindy w. says:

Wonderful, your heart must flutter all the time.

17. Hollie says:

So very happy for you, Susanna! hearing one of your babies say your name for the first time is every mother’s greatest joy. And, to have Katie, who is not yours by birth by truly yours by God, say it, especially given her hard former life, had to be exponentially joyful. Hurray! And, Verity is ADORABLE!

Prayers will continue indefinitely.

18. Brenda Lamey says:

How sweet!  I love how soft and smooth her skin is and how pudgy she has gotten!  she is just beautiful and so is Miss Verity!

19. Megan says:

So beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

20. Judee Albert says:

God is moving mountains – in Bulgaria and the Musser home!  Katie has neck rolls!!!!!!!!  Bahahahahahaha!!!!

21. Susan says:

What a joyful, hope-filled post! Katie has a look of such absolute contentment in her beautiful eyes now – and at the very end of the last video, she’s clearly reaching very purposefully for her blanket, after closely  watching sister Verity grab that ointment tube (love how little ones turn anything into a toy – good job, Verity!). What precious little girls – growing and learning so much each day!

Prayers for the children who are still waiting, their soon-to-be families, and for those who can open the doors for them are winging their way.   Thank  you so much for your advocacy, and for this blog. I hope you will turn it into a book eventually.

Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from EE

22. Jessica says:

Love the MAMA and so very excited for how purposefully she went for the blanket!  Thank you for sharing this miracle!

23. Laura F. says:

I cried when I heard Mama!  Cried and cried!  I am so grateful to be witnessing this miracle, Susanna.  Her eyes are full of love, she exudes joy and contentment and is just happy.  Her eyes are full of LIFE!  What a perfectly appropriate first word!

24. patti says:

I love it!!! Lily was watching intently and started saying mamamama as soon as she heard Katie:) SO happy for you!!

25. Valerie says:

The videos are too precious for my eyes!  Susanna, your voice is so sweet and loving. The voices of three angels in these videos! My eyes and ears are beyond blessed today! Thank you!

26. Joleigh says:

God moves mountains.  Praying that he will move the one on the “certain official’s desk” as my baby girl is sitting in the middle of that mountain, as, I know, are a lot of other little ones who just need to be HOME!
    The waiting is so very hard, but watching videos and seeing pictures of Katie, Verity and Co. makes it a lot easier.  Or it just gives me a good reason to cry.  Either way, thanks!  I cannot believe that Katie has filled out so beautifully and I can’t wait to see it happen for the rest of her former roomies!

27. Will pray!

Those videos are so cute.  Verity is just a doll in her glasses. What sweet girls!!!

28. Leah says:

Love seeing the pudgy arms! Its amazing to see how far she has come!

29. Jennifer says:

Priceless, they are both so precious! Katie is filling out and such a sweetie. Continuing to pray for all the others. Hugs

30. Oh my!!!!!   I know everyone says it, they must, but I just have to say too… she is changing SO much!!  She is pudgy, and smiley, and her eyes have such a beautiful sparkle!!   I pray that Verity & Katie are best of friends as they grow up together!!  Praying for the requests too!!

31. Debbie S says:

Brings joy to my heart and tears to my eyes!
    Prayers for all

32. Joy says:

Such sweetness! Love seeing Katie rounding out! Just amazing to behold!

33. Holly F. says:

Wonderful!!!!  The awesome news is a bit shadowed by all the cuteness in the videos….I mean seriously, how can you even stand behind the camera and film….I wouldn’t be able to stop kissing cheeks, hands, necks, and feet long enough to film!!  ;)

This whole post was just wonderful!  I’m praying for the signature and everything else.  Such a shame that things hinge on a signature.

34. They are both so very, very precious!!  Thank you for sharing a little bit of your joy with us! :)

35. Holly Douglass says:

So sweet! What happy kids. Praying for the ones left behind.

36. Ruby McGill says:

Oh the privilege of being in the midst of a miracle and experiencing God’s amazing power on a daily basis.
    I truly believe that had you not brought Katie home when you did, that she would no longer be with us.
    Your girls are so beautiful, and the transformation of Katie must make your heart sing!  Precious girls (and boys too) to have the love of your family to help them grow!

37. carriejoy says:

Oh Susanna!
     She is so beautifully fat!!! She has ROLLS on her arms!! Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your life and your family with us. Praying for your requests and so grateful to see your beautiful girls!

38. Wiping tears, yay!! I’ve missed the last few weeks of posts and can’t believe how beautifully chubby Katie is! Well done, mama!

39. Cathie says:

Thanks for sharing…I am in awe of the miracle that is Katie.  She is so precious and I love the interaction between the sisters.

40. Anna T says:

YEA!!  Ma, ma, ma, ma — LOVE it!!  I haven’t been on-line as much recently as I’ve been using my time in other ways around our house : ) !!  Please know that you are often in my prayers!!  ((Hugs))

41. rhiannon says:

She is doing so well! And love the first word. I’ll be praying for all those other children still stuck in the orphanage. I just can’t get over how much Katie has changed in just a a short amount of time!

42. Rita in Spain says:

What joy!!!! Your heart must be so full to burst!!!!!
    HUgs and congratulations….YAY Katie!!! Yay Verity who is cuter then ever!!
    P.S.: Katies teeth looks so nice!

43. It’s such a delight to see Ms. Katie so filled out, and thriving! God Bless your family!

44. Hope Anne says:

Oh that is so awesome!! Katya has been home six months and still not a word (at age 7) although she does make some letter sounds and a couple of blends now. We continue to hold out hope . . . and meanwhile are thankful she is learning some ASL to help reduce the high level of frustration she lives with due to being unable to communicate.   I love watching Katie and Katya gaining weight and skills “together” . . .

45. Sandra says:

Such a wonderful new thing she has learned to do!  When remember her chewing that little wrist in anguish, it brings tears to my eyes.  Your smart little girl has come so far!