We didn’t sign up for this…

December 9th, 2011

…this…

…this…

…this…

…or this little person.

We signed up for this…

[Katie, adoption file photo]

…this…

[First day Mama met Katie, August 15, 2011]

…and this little person.

[Katie on Gotcha Day, November 14, 2011]

Stay tuned for Different kinds of hard: Adoption Q & A

187 Responses to “We didn’t sign up for this…”

1. Amy LeJeune says:

That girl looks fantastic!  She has beautiful hair and a lovely smile!

2. Joleigh says:

I can’t believe the transformation in under a month.  God is good.  What a true joy to see every new picture.  And the timing… talk about reminding us all what Christmas is supposed to be about!  I’m praying tonight for all of the orphans in Katie’s former country, that they will all find such fabulous forevers.  And perhaps your blog will lead even more people to adopt!!

3. Cory says:

Wow! There is a softness and roundness to her that was completely void before. Praise God. He is filling her in to the person she was meant to be. I cannot tell you how very happy I am that she is with her forever family.

4. Kim says:

Amazing what love can do :)  Her smile is so beautiful it just looks like pure unadulterated joy of living.

5. Kim Yeatts says:

Katie’s “special needs” was and is LOVE (and food).

6. Kristina and Family of 4! says:

What a beautiful angel she is!!

7. Grace Zitzmann says:

Thank you for giving this precious little angel a chance to blossom and reach her potential. She has already touched many lives! We, in HK, are praising God with you!

8. Grandma Sally says:

Oh, Katie Bird, you are beautiful . . . inside and out!  Love, Grandma Sally

9. Nikki says:

Wow!! She looks amazing!

Nikki
    http://www.madebynikki.blogspot.com – blog design to change the world

10. Becky says:

Aww guys!  She looks amazing!  God is good!

11. Jenny says:

Love love the updates.  She looks so good. Her hair is amazing.

12. Dawn E. Brown says:

We have been joining you in prayer, what an answer we have received. She is absolutely beautiful. So much happiness on that little face.God Bless you all…

13. EG says:

What a compelling stories those pictures tell!  She’s changed so much already!

14. I am so glad she is doing so beautifully!  Her initial post on Reeces Rainbow had me feeling quite sick.  I was afraid, very afraid, that this child would not live to see American soil.  She looks so happy!

15. debbie fitts says:

The second picture from the top is my favorite!  I keep comming back to look at her.  Her big brown yummy chocolately eyes melt me over and over.

16. Becki says:

This post has brought me such joy. I have been following your story since the summer. It has been a joy to pray for your family and for beautiful Katie. Welcome to life, little angel!
    Love from England..
    Becki

17. Julie says:

There are so many incredible aspects of this story, but the thing I keep thinking about is the fact that Katie somehow maintained the capacity for joy despite everything she has been through.

18. Rebecca ~asplendidtime says:

So wonderful!  WOW!  Praying for you all from Alberta.

((((((((((((( hugs ))))))))))))))

19. Sonya says:

I have sat with this page up for 3 days reading a bit every few hours (started back with your pregnancy of Verity) and I am soo moved by your family, your courage and this gorgeous little bird that has been rescued…it is lovely to see her smile :)

20. LeeAnn says:

She is so beautiful! I love the pink headband. Love is one amazing thing. I have a very hard time not checking for updates multiple times a day and even if there isn’t one, I just oooo and ahhh over the pictures.

21. Valerie says:

Sheer beauty

22. Fiona says:

What a beautiful girl. It has long been a dream of mine to adopt a child with special needs so this blog is just an amazing one for me to have come across. It touches my heart. Thank you for sharing your story and your beautiful children.

23. rachel says:

She is GORGEOUS!!!!!

24. Kelly Barr says:

She is beautiful!  It is wonderful to see her blossoming!  I know it will be some time, and understandably so, but I look forward to meeting this precious little girl.  I miss you too, Susanna.  I continue to pray for you, sweet Katie, and your entire family.  Your family has become precious to us.  God bless you!

25. Sara says:

I love your family for loving Katie.  She looks incredible.  Thanks for sharing those sweet, sweet pictures.

26. blackhuff says:

You are such great people for taking her in. Love her smiling.

27. Kim Yeatts says:

I have come to realize more and more that the greatest disease and the greatest suffering is to be unwanted, unloved, uncared for, to be shunned by everybody, to just be nobody to no one!
    Mother Teresa
    She is a “nobody” no longer! Praise the Lord!!

28. April (justonemorebaby) says:

I just keep coming back to gaze at the smile on her face :) She makes my whole day.

29. Jill in GA says:

Just afew weeks ago, a friend emailed me a link to your blog. I read it thru from the very beginning.
    What an amazing family you are.
    What a beautiful transformation in Katie.
    Keeping ya’ll in my thoughts and prayers.

30. Merideth says:

I love all of the top pictures but the first and last of the top, where her smile is the biggest just warms my heart. Who knew that such a lost baby girl was capable of such a smile as to light up a room and soften even the hardest of hearts. Oh if those where she came from KNEW who these children REALLY were and what they were REALLY capable of…..the world would be a much better place! Love to y’all!!!!!!

31. Judee Albert says:

I can’t quit looking at these pictures.  That smile.  That round little face.  The sparkle in her eyes.  Wow.

32. maggie says:

wow, she is JUST beautiful!!

33. Anne says:

I am in tears each time I see the transformation. Food, attention and love was all Katie needed to thrive and in such a short time. You once said you saw Katie through love glasses. You have taught me to see the world through those. Your heart and your family are amazing. You exeplify the best of christianity to me. Thank you for opening my eyes in ways you never know.

34. Michelle says:

I’ve been following your blog since late spring when we were struggling with feelings and awaiting Hailey’s OHS.  These pictures of Katie made me so happy that I wanted to jump up and down!  Her smile is priceless!  We continue to pray for your family and Katie.  I look forward to watching Katie flourish through your camera lens!

35. Rebecca says:

I just recently found your blog and have been extremely moved.

I think what you’ve done in bringing Katie into your family is absolutely incredible. I know your faith is extremely important in all you do, but I have very different views on religion than you do. That being said, even though I don’t feel it’s from God or anything, I have felt “called” in a way to bring one of these little guys home.

Either way, you are truly inspiring to me and someday I hope to follow a similar path as you have in adopting Katie. I’m not old enough yet (you have to be 25 or something like that), but that gives me plenty of time to start saving, planning, and researching.

36. She is so beautiful and her miracle journey is one to celebrate during this season.  You have truly been given a gift greater than you could imagine – thank you so much for sharing your journey.