Katie is home.

December 3rd, 2011

Well, our homecoming was less than idyllic [thanks to a few pharmacies that don’t carry what Katie has been prescribed, a hungry family and a supper that was two hours late, and a fit of what Joe thinks was jealousy on Verity’s part]…

…our bedroom looks like a somewhat organized tornado went through it [but the rest of the house is clean and peacefully tidy]

…I have about three dozen emails to answer that stretch back a couple of weeks [I am sorry, my friends!  I’m making progress!]…

…and the few photos we’ve gotten are lame, really lame…

BUT…!

Every time Katie awakes and she sees me and her surroundings, a priceless expression of pure delight crosses her face, as if to say, “Ooooh, look!  It’s still here!  It’s real!”

She hasn’t cried at all since leaving the hospital.

We noticed a few times that she was so absorbed in watching the family that she was forgetting to do her little orphanage behaviors.

She looks and looks and soaks it all in.  She loves to watch the activity and doesn’t mind the noise!

Last night during Family Night, she kept drawing our attention with her twinkling and smiling and laughing, basking comfortably and happily in my arms next to Verity [who, by the way, eventually realized that I am the same mama, and that I still love her very much indeed].

We prayed almost every night since we officially committed to Katie near the end of January, “Please prepare Katerina’s heart to bond with us.”

It is so hard to communicate the essence of what is happening now.  I wasn’t emotional about bringing her into the States, but bringing her into her new home?  This is why we adopted this child–because we loved her so much we longed to give her our home and our family.

We didn’t know that if God answered “Yes,” to our prayer, that we would feel so humbled and honored that this nine-year-old child would love being loved by us!  She could have responded in many ways!  But she clearly loves being home with us as much as we love having her home with us!   It is a wondrous thing to behold!

It almost seems as if she had open receptors for Joe as her Daddy and me as her Mama, this family as her family, this home as her home.  She doesn’t know what any of these concepts really mean, but she is clearly communicating that the holes inside her are filling up with what we have to offer.  (Joe said she reminds him of the game I used to play when I was a child of her age!)

So yes, it is a challenging transitional time, as it would be for anyone bringing a new little one with special needs home from the hospital, finding our new normal, knowing there are many medical appointments ahead of us, but in the midst of all this, we are watching a miracle happen.

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for the priceless gift of this child’s joy and affection.  May we never get over the wonder of what we are witnessing.

Now for the lame photos, and I promise that if you were here, you would tell me to sit back down with the children and not worry about photos and computers~

P. S.  I forgot two important facts in the last update.  After starting at ten pounds, nine ounces, when she left the hospital, Katie had reached thirteen pounds.  (Her goal weight for her current length is eighteen pounds, which is Verity’s exact weight–they are the same length.)   Also, she has been consistently sleeping all night from 9 or 9:30 pm until 6:30 am.

80 Responses to “Katie is home.”

1. Marci says:

She hardly looks like the same little girl. I cannot express how happy I am for you all. This has been a beautiful thing to witness. Thank you again for blogging!

2. Tami C. says:

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)  :)  :)

Fabulous beyond words!

Welcome home!!

3. Jae says:

WELCOME HOME!!!
    I have a feeling that the name of your family blog will again ring true as Katie continues healing. I can’t help but think that Verity, beginning to crawl, stand, and walk won’t be yet another blessing to Katie’s progress. Verity, being down at her level will be motivation for Katie as her strength increases to keep up! I can just see her working hard to, push up, and roll, and sit up, and maybe even crawl to try to keep up with her little sister in the coming months…

thank you so much for continuing to make an effort to share with us when you don’t have to!

4. Michelle Mitchell says:

Absolutely beautiful pictures.  I love reading your blog and just seeing Katie’s sweet face.

Praying for your whole family.

God bless,
    Michelle

5. Karen Cline says:

Over the last week or ten days, I’ve read your blog “cover to cover”, after it was brought to my attention by a dear friend who adopted a boy with DS from China.
    As I’ve read what you’ve written, I’ve cried many tears and rejoiced at how the Lord has shown up strong on behalf of this tiny girl time after time after time.  I’ve also been chastened by how easily my own faith waivers at times.
    I’m blessed just by reading what you’ve written.  I’ll be praying for you and yours… and I’m forever changed.

6. Ginger says:

We prayed that same prayer over our adoptees. Prayer is powerful!
    Maybe lame-quality pix in your opinion, but I absolutely LOVED them! Verity and Katerina — oh my! I loved that pic of them looking at each other. So sweet!!

7. Jennifer M says:

When I look at her orphanage photo on the right and remember the photos of you holding her, what I saw was a child empty of love – especially in her eyes.  The pictures in this post are just amazing.  They literally brought tears to my eyes. Katie’s eyes show love – she knows that she is loved.  Praising God in KY!! :)

8. Sandra(momys- Sand_beauties) says:

Wonderful news!!!! Welcome home!

9. Katherine Lauer says:

Those are not lame photos! Precious “sister shirts.” Thank you so much for welcoming us all on this journey.

10. Barb Murphy says:

Praise the Lord that Katie is home with her family and thus far is adjusting so well.  The pictures today were wonderful and really showed Katie to have a much more alert expression on her face than before.  She appears to be looking at  all that is going on and taking it all in!  The picture with Verity is so cute with them looking at each other. Katie seems to be watching what Verity is doing and will soon want to do  it too!  All the children will be wonderful role models for Katie is various ways.  Our prayers are with your family in the coming days.

11. Holly says:

WONDERFUL post!!!!  And WONDERFUL pictures!!!  Don’t be so hard on yourself!!

12. Mommaofmany says:

She is an amazing girl.  She hardly looks like the same child!  I’m so glad for your family.

13. Cindie says:

WooHoo!!!! BEAUTIFUL pictures! So precious!  This makes me wanna really think about adopting a little sister with DS for TJ at some point maybe a few years from now. I love the pictures. She’s lucky to have you all and your so lucky to have her. God Bless and Happy Holidays

14. Deanna says:

I love all those lame photos!  Katie looks wonderful!  She is so changed already – what joy to see her responsiveness to you all – Verity is so cute sitting with Katie…She will never remember a time without Katie as a sister…
    Still praying and thinking of you.

15. Missy says:

I LOVE the picture of Katie in the car smiling. She looks so relaxed. Such a miracle. And I have waited a long time to see the picture of you and Verity and Katie together. Thanks so much.

16. marilyn says:

JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My heart is SO FULL for you all!  I am just thrilled to see how well things are going. She is so precious and seeing her and Verity together…well, there are just no adequate words!

17. I have to agree… she looks SO different!!!  Praise God!!

18. Heather King says:

This is so wonderful to see.  We are overjoyed to see Katerina in her home with her family.  Thank you for taking time to share!  Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

19. Amy says:

I agree with the others- she doesn’t even look like the same child- her sweet little face is filling out nicely! :) So precious- and seeing her next to Verity really puts her size into perspective.  Blessings to you all and Congratulations!!

20. Aunt Erma says:

Love your pictures and your videos.    What a great family.   You bless us all.

21. April (justonemorebaby) says:

Lame photos!?!?! Seriously? Susanna those are beautiful in every single way. <3

22. Lara Font says:

those are NOT lame pictures!!  They are fantastic!!!!  I’ve been out of town all last week, reading updates on my phone, so THRILLED for you all!!!  Love those pics!  Celebrating with you my friend!!!  XO

23. MommyScott (christina) says:

Praise God!!!!!!

24. Tami Swaim says:

I enjoyed seeing Katie coming home from CHOP in the sweater-jacket that Moriah passed on!
    Looks like you got yourself some twins again!

25. Julie says:

She looks like a different child!  Oh it is amazing!  Thank you for sharing your journey…..

26. AndreaB says:

While I haven’t regularly followed your blog, I’ve run into it a few times through other blogs, and was aware of Katie. I cannot believe the difference in her since you guys brought her home! It is truly miraculous!! She looks like a different child. She is still very tiny, but she doesn’t look sick anymore. And she looks genuinely at peace, which I hope she is =] You guys are absolutely amazing!

27. blackhuff says:

That is so great the weight gain :) And she is surely sleeping good.

28. Cole says:

Oh sweet girl! The pictures are wonderful! Seeing her smile warms my heart. I know Verity will take to her- it’s just all new.

29. Jessica says:

So in love with the second picture of her grinning in her carseat!  I can see the 9 year old emerging – and totally unrecognizable from her earliest pics!  Continued prayers for her to feel safe and loved and her health.

30. Loving each and every photo :O))) Katie you are forever in my heart and prayers.
     A big hug for your wonderful momma and poppa. :O))))