The next several days are critical.

November 20th, 2011

The doctors have begun the process of Katie’s nutritional rehabilitation.

To sum up in simple terms…

They’re starting her out on a very small amount of higher-calorie food (significantly higher than breastmilk, so I’m back to pumping for the future) through her NG tube, with IV fluids keeping her hydrated.

At regular intervals, the amount of food is increased and IV fluids proportionately decreased.

As the amount of higher-calorie food is increased, her risk of developing re-feeding syndrome will also grow.  So she is being closely monitored to watch for any signs that she is trending in the wrong direction.

The head doctor here has said that the next few days will be the most critical.  We are eager for her to get past this critical point, and to be able to receive my milk again.

It is wonderful to know that so, so many people are praying for her.  Thank you for doing this work on her behalf.

A couple of you have asked for her address, so until Joseph can put it over there on the sidebar for me, it’s right here.  [When I asked the nurse for the correct address, she said that pretty much the only gifts not allowed in here with Katie are flowers or plants.]

Katerina Hope Musser
c/o Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
34th St. and Civic Center Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4399

64 Responses to “The next several days are critical.”

1. Jane says:

Susanna,
    Love from Los Angeles to you on this Monday night…another night for Katie in America, with her forever momma, daddy and family and finally getting the care she needs.
    Holding you all up in prayer.

2. Lara Font says:

I dropped something in the mail to you today, sent it to the house.  Continuing to pray God’s protection over Katie and your entire family!  XO

3. Elizabeth G says:

Susana,

Praying for sweet Katie.

4. Heather says:

Continuing to pray.  May the Lord of all creation hold precious Katerina Hope Musser close to his own heart.  May she be soothed by his touch.  May the entire hospital be surrounded by his hosts of angels and may he move in a mighty unmistakable way.  I pray for the hearts of all those who come in contact with her, may their eyes be not only open to the reality of her situation but the saving grace of Christ our Lord.

5. Connie S. says:

Continuing to pray you all through the jet lag and hospitalization. Both are hard on their own. Also praying for little Katie to do well through her refeeding. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. Also, thank you for carrying our papers to Toni.

6. jen says:

Hi.  What a blessing to have Katie “home” and getting the care she needs and deserves!   When my son was born prematurely they used my milk along with a fortifier to make it higher in calories.  I was just curious if they can do this for Katie so she is still getting your milk or maybe because of her needs they can’t use the fortifier.  Thinking of you all.

7. Heather (iceangel) says:

We’re still praying here!

8. Shari says:

Just checking in, was hoping for a Katie update! Been thinking about her.  Please share how she is doing when you can.

9. Merideth says:

Susanna, Joe, and all of the Mussers. I have been absent and I am just now catching up and I am sitting here reading these entries, SOBBIBNG my little heart out in amazement, and gratitude, and hope, and yes even a little grief that this precious special little girl has had to endure such a life for 9 years. In fact my emotions are running so high right now that I cannot accurately put into words what I really want to say. So for now, I will leave you this with more to follow….I am praying harder than I have ever prayed right now, I am celebrating more than I have ever celebrated, and I am in more awe right now in my life than I think I have ever been. I love you ALL so so much!

As an aside…..I know that y’all are private people but how I wish that we could get news of Katie to Ann Curry who even then knew there was something special about Katie. I think it would mean a lot to her. Anyway love to you all !!!!! Please give Katie hugs and kisses from me!

Merideth

10. Coleen says:

Just checking, again :0), for an update. Hope she is doing well!

11. Laurie says:

prayers continue here as your work continues there.

12. Susan says:

Thinking of you this evening, and of your beautiful little Katie-bird…hope all is going well and that you’re catching up on a little rest.

Best wishes from Ky

13. Elizabeth G says:

Still praying in Texas

14. Elizabeth says:

Congratulations on bringing home your precious angel!!! My little one from Ukraine will be here 10 years next month. I wish your family all the happiness and love that he has brought to us. I will never forget the faces we left behind. She is in excellent hands at CHOP and I pray that she will be home with her family very soon.