Sensory Tools Starter Kit

November 9th, 2011

Most of the tools in our toolkit are to help reduce sensory stimulation, and help to soothe Katie.  We don’t yet know for sure what she will tolerate or find soothing, other than my voice, but we want to have a supply of tools ready and waiting.  We thought this idea list may help a future mom in a similar situation.

So without further ado, the list~

A large stack of super-soft blanket sleepers, leggings, long-sleeved onesies, long-sleeved shirts, and socks.  No tags, no scented fabric softeners.  A few pretty outfits with soft shoes, but again, no tags or perfumes.  Thank you to the friends who helped supply Katie with enough blanket sleepers and onesies that we hope we won’t have to wash any in the hotel bathtub!

It was recommended we try using the soft clay-like earplugs to help block unwanted sound on the way home.

I hope to work with her over time to be able to tolerate ear buds and headphones, but in the meantime, we may just take turns singing to her and wait for CHOP and a real CD player.

Well-worn favorite lullaby music, low, soothing, and organized.

What is this little boy doing in this post?  His name is Johnny, and he’s not our little boy.  He lives across the country from us and we’ve never met him or his family.  Well, see those eggs he is holding?  After Katie appeared on Reece’s Rainbow last year for a short time, then disappeared again, Johnny’s family prayed for her for an entire year.  This was before they found our blog at the end of May this year, so it was before they even knew whether she was still alive, let alone being adopted.  Many months ago, Johnny sold eggs and collected money for Katie in a jar with her photo on it, and recorded his earnings in a little book with HOPE on the cover.  After they found our blog, his mom and dad matched the funds he raised.

So Johnny, thank you, young man, for helping our little girl.  You have done a beautiful thing.

The Mack truck of the car seat world, with a weight to match.

See that bar down at the bottom?  It’s a big help when lifting the seat, but we didn’t know when we chose it that it would also serve another useful purpose.

This is called a cart cover and was designed to be a liner for a grocery cart seat.  Bought for $2 at a thrift store, and works beautifully with this particular seat to provide a barrier for the light, sound and activity that will surround Katie on her travels home.  It even has little windows so we can check on her easily…

…or cover it up, as needed.

She may not tolerate the sling for a long time to come, but just in case she does, we’re ready!

It was also recommended to us to try swaddling Katie.  A local friend sewed this soft, generously-sized flannel blanket for her and dropped it off at our door!  (Thank you, L!)

And last of all, an assortment of pacifiers for her to try!  And that, my friends, is that.  I will let you know what works!

20 Responses to “Sensory Tools Starter Kit”

1. Angie says:

Thank you for sharing you r kit and I will keep in mind for down the road when it is time to travel for our little one.  God protect you as you travel and we will be praying for you!!!!

2. Deanna says:

I will pray that the soft clothing, the soothing music, the cover for the car seat will all work to be comforting to Katie.

This morning during family worship, Kyle reminded us that we needed to “pray for the Mussers, they are leaving to go get Katie.”  You were prayed for!

3. Beth in Atlanta says:

Praying for you today as you finish up all the last minute items on your list!  And praying for ‘traveling mercies’  (I’ve always loved that phrase!)   God bless you and keep you.  And update us often!

-Beth in Atlanta

4. I’ll be praying for you all and your travels.  I hope you can give some updates while you are away.
    Praying for Katie as you bring her home.  I do hope and pray she will travel well and may the Lord keep His protecting and soothing hand over her,.

((((hugs))))

5. Deb W. says:

My family and I are praying for you and Katie and your travels! Just a few more days, and your baby will be free from that place!

6. allison H (christianmomoflots) says:

praying for you all! I’m so excited and holding my breath!

7. Amy says:

Hi Susanna,
    Continuing to eagerly follow along in your journey. You are right the Britax is the “mack truck of car seats” LOL, we have them and have loved them even if they are huge. The truth is that my 9 year old only out grew it last year. LOL

Many blessings as you travel to bring sweet Katie home. Thank you for continuing to check in at our blog on our progress. :)

~Amy

8. Jennifer Hall says:

Susanna,

Oh my, what a beautiful story Our Father has written – Katie’s story of redemption! And precious Johnny’s servant heart – another testament to God’s saving power. May the Hand that has led you guide you safely to and from Katie’s country. Praise be to God for His amazing love!

Praying with great anticipation,
    Jennifer

9. Tanya Rzucidlo says:

Exciting!  You are in our thoughts and prayers.  God bless you and watch over your travels and may His hand bring comfort to your children (and Mommy too) as you are on your way.

10. Stephanie says:

I’m a new reader of your blog (found you on momys) – and had to go wayyyy back to try to catch up on this (and verity’s) amazing and inspirational stories! I’m so glad to have found this wonderful blog! Can’t wait to hear more :-)

11. pat spencer says:

Will be praying for you getting your Katie!  Be Safe.
    pat and katie (adopted from Russia with FAS)

12. Missy says:

When I saw the car seat cover I was reminded of bringing my baby home from Romania 20 years ago. She was strapped to my chest but covered up with a blanket to keep her calm. Uncovered she would make fussy noises, as soon as i covered her head she settled. Like a little bird I used to say. And now you are going to get your Katie bird. All the things in your tool kit will help her. Maybe you can record some orphanage sounds so she has familiar noise to mix in with her new sounds. I can’t wait to “see” you with her again. You are in my prayers.

13. ‘Had to read through several posts back to catch up, but it’s not because we aren’t praying.  The little boy w/ the eggs!!!!  Oh wow!  So amazing!  Our Father is amazing!
    God bless you,
    Rebecca

14. Jamie says:

YAY for Johnny and family!
    You guys are set!

15. Amy Rainey says:

Praying, Praying.  Peace and rest on your journey over.  Health, protection, and stamina through your return.  What a blessed change Katie is in store for.  Much love!

16. Tina says:

By now you have already left on your adventure to pick up your sweet daughter. I am keeping you in my thoughts and sending positivity your way! Thank you for including me on this journey through this blog. I am so excited to hear how everything goes, and even more excited to see her home with her loving family.  My best wishes to you!! :)

17. Mindy says:

That Johnny has a big heart full of LOVE that comes from God! Praying for your safe return.

18. Katherine Lauer says:

I am crying tears of joy and astonishment at sweet Johnny and his family! In a world where even a mature Christian (like me) drops prayer intentions and forgets to pray like I have the attention span of a gnat, he prayed for Katie for a year! I hope he will stay in touch with Katie and your family forever.

19. Joy says:

Johnny’s family should be so very proud of their son (I BET they are!). Oh wow! What a generous, young soul. I can only pray my own children are so giving and selfless. WOW WOW WOW!

I cannot wait to see Katie in your arms!

20. Molly says:

That’s a pretty amazing arsenal!