Answers to prayer for Katie

November 19th, 2011

I hope to write more when I’ve had more than the four hours of sleep I’ve had over the past two days.  Right now the world is reeling around me and I can hardly keep my eyes from closing.

But I want you all to know how God has been answering your prayers for our girl!

Our trip home went smoothly, with the help of many kind airline personnel along the way.

Katie handled the travel beautifully, with very little fussing.  The only part she really yelled and hollered about was having her diaper changed on the hard plastic pull-down changing “table” in the restroom on the airplane while there was turbulence.

Thank you to every one of you who have been praying for her during this very stressful week.

She’s an American citizen now.

She was admitted to critical care here in CHOP and is right now falling asleep under several warm blankets.

Best news of all?

In only four days with an NG tube, getting mama’s milk, she now weighs more than she ever did in her life before.  She began the week at 4.8 kilograms, and is now 5.1 kilograms.

Nurse Adam Boroughs keeping an eye on Katie’s vital signs during the flight~

Katie is a survivor.

Amy Peterson, nurse at CHOP, friend of the Boroughs, and adoptive mom, met us at the airport and drove us to CHOP.

Dr. Susan Friedman, Katie’s CHOPADOPT doctor, also met us at the airport with a big hug.  She didn’t sleep at all last night, waiting through the flight with us.  She has gone way above the line of duty and done a super job of coordinating every detail of Katie’s care plan.

85 Responses to “Answers to prayer for Katie”

1. Barb says:

Welcome Home Katie! I can’t believe how much healthier she looks already and those long eyelashes are beautiful. Thanks for posting. I’m sure you there are lots of other things you could be doing and your cyber-family appreciates your posts. Blessings….

2. stephanie says:

PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!  GOD IS FAITHFUL!  OH little KATIE our prayers for you for have been answered!  TO GOD BE THE GLORY!

LOVE YOU ALL…brian steph sasha ellianna avi and lina!!

3. Carolina says:

Welcome home beautiful Katie!!!!! We’re still praying for you sweet girl and we’re so happy to have you here!!!

4. Susan says:

Thanks so much for the update – what a relief it is to see Katie safe and close to going home at last! Such good news, all around, and she looks contented in these pictures. And despite her fragility, she has a certain spark about her now – she knows; oh, yes, she knows…that she’s safe and warm and sheltered and most of all, loved.

Oh, my goodness, those incredible eyelashes! They must account for a good deal of her tiny (but increasing!) weight :-)!

Very best wishes,
    Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from EE

Hope you all got lots of good sound sleep last night after your long journey.

5. Judee Albert says:

God is so good!  The eyelashes on that girl are incredible!

6. Carol says:

I’m so glad you have arrived safely at CHOP and that the flights went well. Praying for good sleeps and rest for you so you have abundant energy as you enter the next exciting phase of life. I can’t wait to see Katie continue to put on the weight and blossom and grow with the love being lavished on her. What a beautiful girl!

7. Elizabeth Miles says:

L-O-V-E………For God so Loved. What a beautiful testimony. Such a beautiful little girl. I can feel God and see God working this miracle which I feel sure there are more miracles to come as a result of sweet Katie’s adoption! Thank you for sharing your wonderful journey with us. You all are a beautiful family. Love, E. Miles :)

8. That final picture of Katie bird is wonderful; she looks so at peace.  Finally!  Oh my, I can’t wait to see this little bird fly!

9. Holly says:

Wecome home to all of you!!  I read many adoption blogs (and share many with my husband so that he may one day agree to adopt), but this is the one I rejoice in the most!!  I’m so very happy that Katie is home and on her way to experiencing true joy and love!!!  I look forward to every update and can’t wait to see her with some meat on those bones!!  Blessings!

10. Deb Sorensen says:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy to see your post that the flight went well…was with you in spirit! Rest Mama and drink your fluids, you have alot of pumping to do for two girls! I am filled with gratitude that so many little lives will be saved at Katies old home, because you loved this girl and prayed for her and them. What a wonderful testimony!

11. Lynn says:

Thank God.  Please continue blogging, I want so much to hear about Katie’s progress.

12. cindy says:

Praise God!  She’s safe, in great hands, AND growing already; what a miracle, the goodness of our God.  Hope you all get some rest and have a wonderful Thanksgiving week.

13. Shari says:

*Tears* I am SO happy to see Katie on American soil! She IS a survivor and I can’t wait to see how she thrives now that she is HOME where she belongs.

14. Robin says:

Praise God!

15. Tami Swaim says:

She’s got some long eye lashes!  I always found Kilograms a much better gauge when you are trying to track closely weight gain or loss.  My son Elliot, my inventor insists on using the metric system!  It’s been a challenge converting back to the American measurement system.

16. Elissa says:

So glad to see Katie home and in the care of a medical team dedicated to her every need. She deserves every little bit of love, care, and attention to make up for all of the time there was none. I cannot wait to hear more about how this tiny little princess changes lives and hearts.

17. Sue says:

So happy she is home safe and sound.  Such an angel.

18. Welcome Home Katie!  We are continuing to hold your family up in prayer.  What an amazing journey, thank you for blogging so we could follow along and have specifics to pray for you.
    She looks so much better already!  Go Katie Go!

19. Marci says:

Tears here. Oh, thank you, Lord!

20. Joy says:

Cried all through those pics. I am SO glad she’s out of ‘there’ and over here getting the care she needs. So precious to see Adam taking care of her on the plane and her being SUCH a good little girl. That doctor looks SO sweet and caring! And Katie is just such a ‘little bird’ in that big hospital bed. I’ve been and will continue praying for this precious little bundle.

I’m just in awe of our God and His tender care.

21. Bernadette says:

Praise God! What a beautiful child, and obviously already miraculously thriving with the love she is receiving from you! May God give back to her a hundredfold what the locusts have eaten. I so look forward to hearing how she develops and the miracles God is going to do in her life. Every inch of this arduous journey of yours has been one miracle after another. May God richly bless you for being faithful and trusting Him all the way.

22. Lee says:

Talk about an angel flight.  She’s beautiful… Congratulations.  Now the fun begins.  So glad you’re documenting it all for her and sharing your families story with everyone.  Your words and pictures will inspire countless others to greatness and save many other children.  Sending lots of prayers, positive energy your way.  Gods Speed Katie to good health.  Please continue to reach out.  You have many friends you have yet to meet.

23. Grace says:

Your little Katie is proof that God is still in the business of changing lives.  Praise to our Father, great things He has done!

24. Lara Font says:

Home again!  Hooray!!!  You continue to be lifted up, love that last picture of Katie, so peaceful!!  Rest my friend, I cannot think of a more wonderful gift to be thankful for this Thanksgiving!

25. Linda says:

So pleased you are all here and doing well.  Get some sleep while she’s in the hospital because soon enough she’ll be home and then you’ll be on duty!
    Praise God!  Linda from Dream Bulgaria

26. Shannon says:

Wonderful, wonderful!!

27. stephanie says:

Welcome Home Princess!!! You are so beautiful!! keeping you in our prayers!!

28. Katherine Lauer says:

I’m weeping with joy.

29. Elizabeth (mamatoblessings) says:

Oh she is SO beautiful!! You can already see the change in her face. What a blessing she is. Congratulations!

30. Emily says:

Thrilled that your precious Katie is finally in the US!  Welcome Katie!

31. Laura F. says:

Susanna,

i had to come back to comment again… I keep looking at that precious last photo of Katie sleeping and she looks so peaceful and loved and warm and cozy and content.  Then I look at her photo on your sidebar of the beginning of her story.  What a difference a week and whole lot of love make… it is like she is coming to LIFE.  I am privileged that I get to follow her journey and yours as well.  Still praying for Katie and you as she continues to grow and get the nourishment she needs… I surely know she is getting all the love she needs.  :)

Love, Laura

32. Cole says:

Welcome HOME dear Katie! You are such a blessing to all! Susanna your families work on behalf of these dear children is so heartwarming. Bless you dear.

33. Valerie says:

I see the face of God when I see precious Katie!  Tears of joy!!!

34. Katie says:

My sister shared your blog with me.  She is in the process of adopting a 6-year-old angel from the same orphanage Katie came from.  We have been praying for Katie and seeing these pictures makes my heart overflow.  I am so happy to see her getting the care she needs.  She is also so beautiful!  I can’t wait to see how she flourishes in her new home.  :)

35. Wende says:

My sister shared this blog with me.  They have adopted from overseas as well.  Such a precious, beautiful story..so very much like God did for us.  From far away he came to get us and with him we are safe and sound.  I too see it in Katies face..she DOES know that she is safe. So beautiful. Have been praying and will continue to pray for you all.  Blessings to you!