When the heat comes

October 31st, 2011

We know that from the moment we pick up Katie, life will never be the same again.  We know that as intense as this adoption has been, it will look like a walk on Easy Street once the real adventure begins.

We’re racing the clock, and the clock seems to be picking up speed.  Ten days and counting.  That’s only two hundred forty hours.

Will we be ready?

God gave me an enforced break from computer work this past weekend, thanks to the effects of an autumn snow storm.  I enjoyed ignoring my computer work without guilt!  I also stayed home from the church meeting yesterday, in hopes that Verity’s runny nose wouldn’t develop into a full-blown cold.

It was a long enough break to drain the hurry out of my soul and show me that I had unwittingly allowed fear to take root in my heart.  Fear that I will miss some details that turn out to be vitally important.  Oh, my, there are so many details, and so many of them are vitally important!  And just when I’ve gotten one squared away, several more spring up in its place.  I don’t believe stress is a given.  It is a red flag to me that I am carrying an emotional load God did not mean for me to carry.

He reassured me, again…

The success or failure of this complex venture is not resting on my shoulders.  No stress or fear necessary!  I can be confident that the One who called us is faithful, and that He will do it.  He said He would, and He will.  That is the truth that stands between me and the aforementioned fear and stress.  And oh, how grateful I am that He is right down here in the hundreds of details.  He is here with His grace, upholding and undertaking.

Cursed is the man who trusts in man
And makes flesh his strength,
Whose heart departs from the LORD.
For he shall be like a shrub in the desert,
And shall not see when good comes,
But shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness,
In a salt land which is not inhabited.

Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
And whose hope is the LORD.
For he shall be like a tree planted by the waters,
Which spreads out its roots by the river,
And will not fear when heat comes;
But its leaf will be green,
And will not be anxious in the year of drought,
Nor will cease from yielding fruit.

9 Responses to “When the heat comes”

1. Ginger says:

Praying for peace that passes all understanding.

2. I’ll be keeping you all in my prayers.  May the Lord be near you all as you prepare to bring your dear Katie home to her forever family.  (((hugs)))

3. Missy says:

I’m praying for your heart to fully lean on God. He won’t let you down.

4. Joleigh says:

You guys have been on my mind, so often!  Perhaps it’s my own upcoming travel to The Country That Shall Not Be Named that has it so fresh in the forefront, or perhaps it’s just a God thing.  Either way, I’m praying for you that every single detail will come together in God’s exacting perfection!!  As I’m researching toys to keep our kiddos busy on the long flight home, I’m guessing you’re researching how to keep Katie comfortable and calm.  Just know that you will go blanketed in the prayers of many!  And please… I think I speak for all of We Who Read (that felt like it needed capitalization, too) when I say TELL US WHAT WE CAN DO TO HELP!  Now and after you get home.

5. Carol says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and those verses. I don’t remember ever having really pondered them in such a meaningful way. Funny how just highlighting two phrases makes such an impact. Love you my friend. We are hoping to take Niko for a walk today and I will try to find a spot to leave you a note. Praying for sleep and sweet peace for you.

6. Tracy says:

You are going to do just great! You and your husband have done the bravest, most amazing thing for gorgeous little Katie. I cannot wait to see her blossom when she becomes a part of your home. You will get her here safely, and she will feel your love forever. I am praying for all of you, as you continue on this wonderful journey.

Oh Carol, what a fun idea! I am praying for you, too, and you are constantly on my mind this week!

8. Mandy says:

I was wondering how you fared through the storm :)

Continuing to pray through the changes that will be coming and that you’ll not forget that you are not on your own through this, that God is holding you up.