Four, Five and Six

October 10th, 2011

4)  To all the moms who shared pictures of your adopted little ones for the What Difference Does it Make? post, my friend Kim Zimmerman would like permission to use just the photos, no names or other identifying information.  She hopes to put together a poster for her church’s observation of Orphan Sunday on November 6th.  Two of you have already given permission for Kim to use them.  If you aren’t one of the two, would you be willing to give that permission?  If so, could you email to let me know?  Thank you!

5)  On Friday, Dr. Susan Friedman, the CHOPADOPT doctor who is overseeing Katie’s case, asked us a question that we had not anticipated.  She would like us to consider speaking with the hospital’s public relations department about the possibility of allowing Katie’s story to be told in some form of public secular media.  As you probably know or could have guessed, this is utterly outside our league.  We are confident that God has a will in the matter, and that He will show it to us, and we would be so grateful to know that others are praying about this with us.  Thank you so much, friends.

6)  We want you all to know about a gift that God has been giving our family.

Our church has been so wonderful in coming alongside us in this adventure, and being 100% supportive, both emotionally and spiritually.  It is amazing how quickly they jumped right in, considering that we just showed up there at the beginning of June!  Small as the group is (maybe seventy-five people?), they are big on genuine relationships and hospitality.  Church family drove me to the airport, provided meals for the time I was in Katie’s country and beyond, invited Joe to their homes while our children were staying with friends, and asked me to give a presentation so that everyone could understand what has happened and will be happening.  One of the men even offered to work part time in Joe’s place if it would mean that he could go on that first trip.  Best of all, they keep up with our news so that they can pray.

We are more grateful than words can express for this group of brothers and sisters, and for their desire to walk in obedience to Jesus.  If any of you are reading, please know that we love you, we thank the Lord for the gift you have been to us, and we pray that we will someday be as great a blessing to you all as you have already been to us.

18 Responses to “Four, Five and Six”

1. Missy says:

I’ll be praying for guidance for you and your decisions about the media. I think it could be a way to bless your family and many other children and families, but that’s just me talking.

2. Ginger says:

I love these informative posts.

3. Becky K. says:

We love that you have allowed us to feel a part of this adoption.  We love your family and are thrilled to have you as a part of Sonrise.  Katerina will have many “extra” brothers, sisters and aunts and uncles….we are so thankful to have the education and opportunity to walk this faith journey with your family.

Missy, it took a while for the meaning of your words to sink in. Oh my, no, no, no! This isn’t something like the Duggars or other reality shows! This opportunity would not be for financial remuneration at all! It was described to us as a “human interest” story. Dr. Friedman said it would be up to us, but it could run the gamut from a small, local newspaper story without pictures, to a tv crew from national news media following us home from Katie’s country, and anything in between.

Our two biggest concerns have to do with trust. We are not sure we can trust the media to be faithful with either the overall story or the small details. We are concerned (and think this concern has a reasonable basis) that in spite of our efforts, the secular media would use the story to make much of MAN instead of making much of GOD. And we are concerned that the name of Katie’s country would inevitably leak out, even if we stipulated that they use the general term “Eastern European country.” We cannot be honest about her story without being honest about her condition and we cannot be honest about her condition without being honest about what caused her condition. And because her condition is so bad, we’ve been asked not to publicly divulge the name of her country. Just a sticky situation. On the other hand, if it were handled properly, it could be a wonderful way to show God for who He is! Also to help shine the light on the need of these little ones, and let adoptive parents know about the good work that CHOPADOPT is doing.

I’m sure you can see from all this why we are asking for prayer for these decisions. But we KNOW God will show us what His plan is.

5. Barb says:

I’ve been following your blog for about 2 months now. Last night I was thinking how awesome it would be if Katie’s story and others like her was made public. If the power of the internet is this great, what things could happen if the media grabbed onto this story. And then today I read your blog post. Maybe you can find a lawyer to help you negotiate with the media to help in making sure the details are preserved?!
    Blessings to you and your family from Ohio…

6. Shanna says:

Praying with you! Maybe God will use this possible avenue as a way to bring more families and adoptive children together!

7. The Kaya says:

I believe I found Katie’s picture from a while back.  She was listed on Reece’s Rainbow once.

8. Missy says:

No, no, no I didn’t think you would be paid for it! I thought that if the story was out there it would plant seeds for other adoptions. I also thought that it might open hearts as mine has been opened to your life and beliefs. See, I don’t agree with many of your beliefs and would have immediately brushed off your attempts at making a difference for those orphans. BUT, after reading here and looking at the pictures you have shared I have come to respect your family’s walk with God. I think that you would be blessed by helping others know that it is possible to be true to what you believe. Anyway that’s what I meant.

I agree that keeping Katie’s country a secret would be difficult. And it could be really bad for adoptions. When I was in the middle of adopting my daughter from Romania, Diane Sawyer did a story on adoptions there. It made it look like everyone was “buying” children. The Romanian government stopped adoptions for quite a while.

Former Communist countries are 60 years behind others in care of disabled/mental health issues. They lived without God, isolated from education. and health advances. It will take time for an appreciation of all life to grow there. So for now, we pray for one child at a time, one room at a time to be saved. I believe it will happen.
    Missy

Oh I see, Missy! Thank you for helping me understand what you meant. And may I say, your last paragraph sums the situation up perfectly.

Kaya, as far as we can tell, she was only listed there for a few months before her file was sent back to her government. This little fact ended up having HUGE implications in her story, and was directly instrumental in our family adopting her. Someday the whole story will be told, but for several reasons, it will have to wait!

But for practical purposes, once a RR child, always a RR child, so Katie has a RR T-shirt waiting for her at our house. :):):)

11. Beth says:

Does anyone know how to find a child’s listing when they no longer appear on RR?

12. Anna T says:

We’re back!!  TRUST has been a big one for me lately after Revival Services at our church!!  Praying for you and your dear family!!  Praying boldly for good news SOON!!  ((Hugs))…

Anna, we GOT our good news! We have a court date scheduled for next Friday, the 21st! So we may be traveling as soon as early November!

Beth, no, I’m sorry I don’t, but I hope someone else here is techie enough to help you!

15. Beth says:

Wow Susanna that is great with the court date. This is so exciting and it is not even my family. Thank you for taking us all on this joyous journey. We will be praying for your travels when it is time and Katie’s health.

16. The Kaya says:

Beth, I have noticed that some kids on Reece’s Rainbow are still listed with their respective agencies. If you go to http://www.rainbowkids.com you can use their search engine to find some of them.  If you can remember their birthdate, it’s very helpful.  There are many RR kids listed with Children’s House International, Lifeline, CHSFS, and Bethany.

17. The Kaya says:

Check out http://www.rainbowkids.com for photolistings. Some may also end up on http://www.precious.org as well.

18. Anna T says:

YEA!!  I’m marking the 21st on my calendar as soon as I post this — YEA!!  Praying!!  Big ((HUGS))!!  Happy 45th Birthday Joe!!