This post may not be for you.

September 3rd, 2011

I do not know everyone this post is written for.

I do know that this post is not written for everyone who will read it.

Who is it written for?

Maybe it is only for one person?

I don’t know.

And don’t need to know.

I do know…

“I was mute and silent;
   I held my peace to no avail,
and my distress grew worse.
  My heart became hot within me.
As I mused, the fire burned;
   then I spoke with my tongue:”

This post is only for those of you who have deliberately closed the door marked “Adoption of a Child with Special Needs.”  Whether at the first glimpse of this door, or after some research about what may lie through the doorway, you have closed that door.

<Did you know the reality that “perfect” children are in such demand that human trafficking is a worldwide problem?  Some countries have halted their programs for international adoptions of healthy children because of rampant abuses.

But nobody is fighting over the “imperfect children.”  Why is that?

Did you know the politically incorrect reality that in our attorney’s sixteen years of facilitating adoptions of children with special needs, God has so far sent her only Christian families?  Families who treasure these little “imperfect” children as pearls of great price?

These families have rejected the value systems that push “imperfect” children out of the inner sanctum of personal life, the value systems that free people up to continue their valiant fight for the idols of personal peace and affluence.>

So.

Are you one who has closed that door?

Please, write down your list of reasons why you have decided not to take the next step.  All the reasons.  All the obstacles.

I ask only that you leave the word “calling” off your list, since that word can obscure a multitude of disobediences.

Then pick out a child from the Reece’s Rainbow website.  May I suggest “Steven?”

Don’t let that bouncy seat fool you; he was put in there for the photo.  He was placed directly back into his crib afterward.

You will find him unattended, in his bed.

Now kneel down in front of Steven’s crib, one hand holding your list, your other hand reaching in to his.

Look into his eyes, and please

…tell him the truth.

“I could be doing something to help you, but I am choosing not to.

I don’t know whether God has closed the door, but I am closing the door.

Your life is not worth as much to me as [everything on my list].

I don’t believe that God has the power to help us overcome [everything I consider an obstacle] that stands between our family and you.”

Did you keep looking at his eyes while you spoke?

Oh.

You just thought you were looking at him.

You were mistaken.

You were looking into the eyes of the King.

“And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.'”

Please, kneel back down, look into the King’s eyes, and tell Him the truth.

25 Responses to “This post may not be for you.”

1. stephanie says:

You know before Emmie was born , I was one of those people who would never consider a child who was “less than perfect”. I thought I didn’t have it in me. I wasn’t “qualified” to care for a special needs child. well qualified or not I got the job. One way or another God had different plans for me! Emilia is my greatest joy. But never would I have come to that decision without her. Now our prayers are to ‘get another one just like Em” Hopefully one day before we are ancient we will qualify. Til then we advocate and pray.  i have this lovely vision in my head of a big old house with a huge porch and a yard full of the “imperfect” little dumplings running wild and laughing! To me that would be perfect!

2. ashley says:

Amazing post.  Thank you.  Thank you so much.

3. Shanna says:

I pray your post reaches those it was meant for! blessings, Shanna :-)

4. Amy says:

Tears as I read this beautiful post. I was so scared when we adopted our first child with “special needs”, and if I am honest, I have had my excuses many times God has tugged on our hearts. What we would have missed…I am choked with emotion at the thought!

5. Amy P says:

What a beautiful way to say the truth! Our family is in process of adopting our second special needs child, bringing our children to 7. We have had much opposition as we have had with our past 3 adoptions. Each time, I become more resolved to speak truth in love to those who chose to turn away. This is a call on the Church and we are failing them. Praise God for your sweet little gifts. We treasure ours. As for the big old house with all the little ones running about…I’m with you poster Stephanie!!

6. Deb Wielhouwer says:

Ever since I started following your blog just 2-3 weeks ago, I knew you were talking to me/us! Thank you!

7. Kendra says:

TRUTH, Susanna….I don’t have many more words other than THANK YOU!

8. Katherine Lauer says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

9. Keely Guthery says:

That was powerful.  Brought tears to my eyes.
    Also gave me chills.
    Thank you.

10. LOVE this and i love your attorney who is also ours! You saw that little boy and i will see a little boy who will be just like him and i pray that i will be able to come back and let my world know of these precious children as you have done so eloquently and perfectly. Thank you for your boldness and your words! lovingly,

11. Nikki says:

Beautifully said.
    Nikki
    http://www.madebynikki.blogspot.com –> blog design to change the world

12. Well said for these small little blessings:O)) I ask our Lord each night to hold this children to his heart so he may deliver them into loving homes.  Each night as I lay my children to bed I watch as they rock back and forward. I think of what they had endured and knowing in my heart I can not erase their past.  But knowing I will be there to carry them into the future.  Taking turns picking them up till the rocking stops and place them back into their beds. How I wished I could have held them sooner..

13. Kat says:

As we seek to bring our daughter home, what you wrote hits right into my heart.  Our daughter waited for three years for us to truly give it all to God, so we could see her amazingly perfect, the way God created her.  WE are the ones who are blessed.  If we are able to bless her, that would be wonderful too.  Thank you for writing this.  I wanted to scream it from the mountain tops.  I’ve linked to it on my blog today.  I hope that it’s ok.  Thank you and hugs (and many prayers)…

14. Carmen says:

LOVE this post. You hit the nail right on the head. Good job.

15. Yes!! Yes!! Great post! Sharing!

16. Christine says:

I hope Steven gets his family soon.  I want to see them all in good homes.
    I think my main obstacle is my family.  They think I can’t parent a child with special needs.  They think it’s foolish.  Also, the fact that I’m single makes people think I can’t do it.

17. Erin says:

Hi,
    I have posted a link to this incredible post on my blog.  Would it be ok with you to copy it, making clear the source of the post, to challenge my friends and family?

Thank you so much!

18. Shannon says:

Tears…precious little ones…we’ve been called and although the road is less than ideal, we will follow HIS call. Thank you for reminding me tonight why we do it…

19. Lauren says:

This has to be my most favorite post of all time.  Posting about this post on my blog, with a link to your blog!!

Thank you for loving God the way you do, and proudly writing about it!  You are an inspiration to me!

20. Kate says:

This is beautiful. I don’t know how I ended up on this site while surfing the web, but Im glad I did. Im glad that so many care about the “imperfect” children. I have a 3 yr old daughter with autism and a 1.5 year old boy with a complete bilateral cleft lip and palate. I’m also expecting my 3rd little miracle in a few months. Both of my children aren’t “perfect” in the worlds eyes, but they are just how God intended them to be. I know they were given to me because I can care for them better than anyone else. Im so happy that there are loving, caring families in the world who open their hearts to these beautiful miracles that some consider “imperfect”.

21. Merideth says:

I found your blog through A Perfect Lily….I haven’t commented yet because I have been reading from the beginning. But last night I was on Reece’s Rainbow looking at little girls. I went to bed and had a dream about a dark haired little boy that would be in my life. And tonight I went back to look and wouldn’t you know I found Steven. My heart has been broken all night because I have NO idea what to do. I am at a loss. But he is the boy. And then as I have been catching up, I have been reading about your Katie. And thinking what if maybe all we need is love? And then I came across this post when you suggested Steven…..and my heart breaks anew because I have no idea what to do, but I know I can’t just let go….

Merideth, I have been in close touch with the family who wants to commit to adopt Steven, but is encountering very discouraging obstacles, including financial ones. Emailing you in case you are able to offer them your help!

23. Katherine Hunt says:

I understand that it may be the case that the majority of adopting families are Christian, but my family is not …and we are adopting a child with special needs. I don’t think it’s necessarily being a Christian that leads one to adopting a child with special needs, it’s having a special heart.

24. Rochelle Wilson says:

My husband isn’t on the same page as me, so I continue to pray. We have 4 girls, the youngest(8) has Down Syndrome…we love her so much :)  I would adopt in a second, if he were to consent :)