Specs 4 Verity

September 4th, 2011

At the end of Errand Day yesterday evening, Joe brought something home for Verity.

We expected a long drawn-out battle requiring endless quantities of patience, until some blissful future day when she would finally accept that the glasses were there to stay.  I had prepared the other children for this scenario.  We were braced for it.

Instead, she solemnly looked about at all the details she had been missing.

Over at the shower curtain…

…stenciling…

…book…

…pink flower…

…details…details…

She didn’t crack a smile for a long time.

Just looked.

And looked.

Once in a while, she remembered that something felt funny up there on her face, and reached up to pull them away.

I stopped her every time, replaced them, and said quietly, “No,Verity.  Keep the glasses on your eyes.”

About half a dozen times before I tucked her into bed, I saw her begin to reach her hand up, and then stop.

If you watch closely you will see for yourself.

She pulled off her glasses only a few times this whole day.

Sweet Verity, when will we learn our lesson? You have exceeded our expectations once again. We are so proud of you.  Well done, little one!

[Note:  We highly recommend the Specs4us company.  Glasses designed for children with Down syndrome by the mother of a child with Down syndrome.  No shop in our area carries the frames, so Specs4us mailed us all the frames they had in Verity’s size, and we mailed back the ones we didn’t want, with a check for the ones we did.  They recommended Wal-mart for excellent-quality lenses for the price.

27 Responses to “Specs 4 Verity”

1. Her little glasses are just adorable!  Praying that this continues to be an easy transition.

2. Felicity says:

She looks so sweet!  Now she’ll be able to see what a beautiful mama she has!

3. Shauna says:

Such a cutie in those glasses!  I checked that company out when you posted before…so cool.  If Reagan ends up needing glasses at her check-up I know where to go!

4. joanna says:

I recommend that you take her to an optician, they can adjust the glasses so they no longer slide down on her nose. The glasses have to be bend tighter around her ears.

5. Katy says:

I love it!  She looks so… studious!  :-)

6. Marilyn Osborn says:

ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Love the splashing video!

Joanna, yes!! I thought someone would probably spot that. I’m planning to take her in at the earliest opportunity. Thank you for writing!

8. Angiedawn says:

SOOOOOOO precious!!!! She just looks darling! I laughed and laughed at her splashing in the water lol.That was toooooooo cute!

The book was DARLING too! I loved watching her reaction to the different textures and seeing which ones she spent more time on  AND the way she turned the pages! lol Just SO very cute!!!!!!!

9. Deanna Rabe says:

Love both of the videos!  She is so bright!  I loved seeing her in her glasses yesterday!  So exciting that she will see so much better.
    I don’t think anything will ever hold her back!
    She is a delight!

10. Heather says:

We have these same glasses color and everything for our precious Abby. We will be a specs4us customer for life. Too cute!

11. Mary Feigum says:

Susanna,

Verity looks so sweet in her new specs. My oldest son had horrible vision and I never had a problem with him wearing his glasses. he keeps them right by his bed and puts them on before he hops out in the morning. It looks like she will be very simular because they help her so. I would like to say however that they don’t appear to fit her well behind her ears. I also would suggest you take her in and get them fitted. They don’t usually charge anything to bend frames to fit. God Bless you, Mary

12. Kristi says:

She’s so precious!!!  I loved that book, too!  Thanks so much for sharing her with us.

13. Tami Swaim says:

You could go to Cosco for the glasses adjustment (it’s free).  I’m sure Walmart could too.

14. Susan says:

LOVE this! Verity is such a cutie-pie, and such a smart little girl – her attention span is exceptional for a one-year-old and as a retired children’s librarian, you know the video of her studying her textures book – and turning the pages so well! – really resonated with me. She immediately understood the book’s premise and applied that knowledge, which is just great. She’s going far!

Oh, yes, Verity’s little specs are so cute on her – she looks (and is!) so studious.

Thanks so much for sharing these delightful snippets of Miss Verity’s day – she’s a charmer.

Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from U.

15. Maria G. (assistantcoach) says:

Love this!  She is just so precious and her little spectacles make her look even sweeter.  How exciting for her to be able to notice things she’s never seen before.

16. Kendra says:

She look SO adorable!  YAY Verity!

17. Joy says:

Heartwarming preciousness!!!!!

18. Carol says:

She is such a little doll. How proud you must be of her. I really wish our families lived closer so that our babies could play together. Marie turned 15 months at the end of August, so she’s really close in age to Verity. Thanks for the link to the glasses company. I was thrilled to see that they even have an optometrist carrying their line in our city in Canada!

19. Ginger says:

Absolutely adorable!!

20. So adorable!!  Good for Verity in keeping them on too.  :D

21. April (justonemorebaby) says:

Just when I thought there was NO WAY she could get any cuter!!! Oh goodness gracious :) Those videos are way, way, way too cute!!

22. Lori says:

She is soo beautiful!!

23. Brook says:

Isn’t she precious.  I especially loved the video of her with the book. I loved her reactions & how she turned the pages, she was intrigued :)

24. Katherine Lauer says:

Her nightie is so cute. Her glasses are so cute. I want to eat her up!

25. Jillian says:

I just don’t know if she can get any cuter – she has just about reached the limit for cuteness!!!!
    LOVE her little feet splashing in the water and how quickly she moved her hand back and forth to splash!

Thank you for sharing these wonderful moments with Verity! :D

26. Jasmine says:

I recently purchased specs 4 us for my little girl. I’m waiting to receive them. I’m anticipating a fuss, but hopefully she’ll realize all the wonderful details around her as Verity did.
    Great job.