Feathering her nest

September 17th, 2011

We wanted to keep the girls’ room simple, uncluttered, and sweetly old-fashioned.  So we didn’t add too much–just livened it up with some splashes of color.  There’s still space for more creativity, but we are very satisfied with it now!

It’s always gratifying to stretch a little into much, and make something creative and lovely out of what we already have on hand.

Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do, or
Do without.

It’s equally as gratifying for me to pass this talent down to my girls.

Nearly everything in their room, including furniture, came to us through gifts or cast-offs from friends, Freecycle, thrift stores, or new, but at very discounted prices.  Some of it needed work, some was immaculate.  We have spent very little money on this room, and we are grateful for all God has provided for it!

All the photos were taken over the course of the past week or so.

<We had enormous fun with this project and have pictures galore!  Anyone who finds this topic deadly dull, I warn you now!  Death by dullness lies ahead!>

To the girls and me, it can never be dull.  This room was one tiny way for us to act on the yearning and love in our hearts for our Katie-bird.

34 Responses to “Feathering her nest”

1. Renae Meredith says:

I love the colorful spools on the door frame. Such a creative idea.

2. Denise says:

WOW!!!  Susanna that is AWESOME!!!!  *and here I thought you said you were not ‘fashionable’– that room is SUPER CUTE and CREATIVE– many of those ideas I could’ve NEVER thought of!!!!  WOW!!!  I love seeing things like that!!!  WOW!!!

**Love the names in the frames–that is a great idea I might borrow!!**

3. Sandie says:

I like the vintage sewing thread spools along the top of the door.  One of my daughters has a whole box of them and we were looking for ideas.

4. Deanna says:

Precious room!
    Sweet, feminine, lovely…
    Thank you, Susanna for sharing the girls room with us!  I love these kinds of posts.

5. sabrina says:

Precious…beautiful…love it!

6. Carol says:

I love it! So many creative, beautiful touches. I particularly like the button lampshade and the framed names. Home decorating is not my strong suit, so this is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

7. Becky K. says:

Very, very precious!  The lamp with the buttons and ribbon is awesome.  We also used Chelsea’s name and meaning in her room when she was younger.  I loved that she was learning to live up to her name every time she read it.

8. Lovely room for some very lovely girls!!  can’t wait until Katie can be there too.  (((hugs)))  Well done!! :D

9. Gail says:

Absolutely beautiful!  You can tell that a lot of thought and time went into that room! Katie is going to feel so much more comfortable being in a room with her sisters.  I think it will make the transition so much easier for her! The room gave me some great ideas for Daisey’s room.  Do you mind if I steel the button lamp shade idea?

10. Katherine Lauer says:

The photos of this exquisite room made me cry! What love! What a life of joy and love awaits Katie-bird!

11. Susn says:

Beautiful room for precious girls. I can see your mother’s influence in your lifestyle.  Interesting that the “world” now thinks re-purposed and found treasures are something new when many of us already live our lives this way.  After 2 years of unemployment with part time work my husband and I are AMAZED how simple and blessed not to have stuff but relationships.  Not in debt but able to give out of our little.  BLESSINGS as you model this to your children and others.

12. Michelle Mitchell says:

Just beautiful!

13. Lauren says:

I absolutely love the room. It reminds me of what my grandmother might have had with her 4 sisters. It is so beautiful and inviting. I love the little touches of color throuhout the room.

It’s great because it works so well for your older girls and your little one. I have no doubt that your girls are going to love that room for a long time. Katerina is going to LOVE that room.

14. Lorri says:

Love those simple touches on the room!

15. Shauna says:

it’s a WONDERFUL room!  Wanna help me come finish my girls room?

16. Ginger says:

I love it! So sweet and girlie!! I had been thinking about putting the girls’ initials above their bed, but I really love the SISTERS idea instead. Clever!
    Ok, so I got disoriented– are there 2 windows in the room? On adjacent walls?

17. Heather says:

What beautiful toes. We are blessed to have some little feet just like that here. For whatever reason, more so than virtually any other time, when I see those toes I just picture the Father creating them and He smiles and says it is good.

18. Angie says:

Loved the pictures!!  Especially the lamp shade.  Looks ready for an addition to come home.

Ginger, you’ve got it right–two windows on adjacent walls. :)

Shauna, that sounds like fun!!

21. Lorena says:

Oh, I love the feathers in your nest – especially the buttons on the lampshades!  Brilliant!  I have some lamps that need an upgrade and that might be just the thing.  The girls must adore living in that room.  Good job!

22. Marilyn Osborn says:

It is just lovely!  :)

23. Shelly says:

That room has more love flowing in it than a thousand love stories.  It is a special love story in and of itself all about a family and their love for a sweet girl who was born in their hearts.  I simply love it Susanna!

24. Ilisa says:

Love it all!  Not dull :)

25. Anna T says:

So very pretty…thanks for sharing and now your sweet little one’s room is ready for her arrival, my prayer is for Katerina to come home quickly, her family is waiting eagerly for her…

26. April (justonemorebaby) says:

That room is beautiful :)

Verity astounds me!!! What a little sweetheart!

27. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

OH!  I looooove all the little details!!  The lampshade, the tins, the SISTERS (and the real sisters decorating the bed! – LOL), the spools, the curtain….  All of it is so peaceful and pretty!

28. Ginger says:

BTW, I really like the name prints. I had started framing birth announcements, but quit after our adoption as I’m not a fan of the announcement that says: Born this day, adopted this day.
    I love the idea of just doing their names, meaning, and their scriptures. Works regardless of how they joined your family.
    You’re just so smart, Susanna! ;)

29. Missy says:

That room is so cute. Are the old photos of family members?

Ginger, I agree I would be smart if I’d thought of the idea myself, but it’s been around for years! We love it, too! Joseph patterned the little girl’s prints on the (commercially-made) older girls’ prints for me, and we printed them onto parchment paper we already had on hand.

Missy, the three children in the photo on the girls’ dresser are the three oldest children of Joe’s great-grandparents. The oldest child in the photo is his mom’s mom. She passed away not long after Laura was born. She would be *astonished* to learn that we are living in her house with our ten (going on eleven) children, and even more astonished to find that we are not starving and in rags. ;) :D
    The mother and child photo hanging on the wall is just a vintage photo I found for a couple of dollars among other vintage photos at an antique stand several years ago. It immediately attracted my attention for how it captured the tenderness and pride of a mother for her baby.

32. Colleen says:

What a beautiful room for your beautiful girls… thank you for sharing it! It gives me some ideas for our new home!  :)

33. Becky K! says:

Love it! Especially love the idea of Framing the girl’s name and meaning and hanging it above their beds!  So sweet!

34. April H says:

Absolutely perfect!  I have been wanting to do something simple, inexpensive and charming with our girls room (it just has two beds in it) and now I have more inspiration.  Great job!