Wait, pray, trust

August 19th, 2011

I received an email from Joe this morning stating that our I-800 application to the USCIS is right now on its way to the lockbox in Texas.

We have done all we know to do to expedite it, with the help of our adoption attorney, the pediatrician she has on her team, Dr. Strauss at the Clinic for Special Children, our social worker at the Lifeline adoption agency, and M—— D—–. YES!  Our USCIS officer is taking steps to help!

We were told that expediting the adoption the fastest possible way would be just as fast as trying to get her home on a medical/humanitarian visa.

The biggest barriers we face are the seemingly-immovable Bulgarian and Hague processes.  Our attorney has never heard of the time between the two trips of an adoption from Bulgaria taking less than FOUR MONTHS, not the three months we were told.  FOUR MONTHS.

Both Hague rules and the adoption rules from Bulgaria were established to protect children from being trafficked.

But there are times when they end up harming children rather than helping them.

Now is also the time to tell you something else.

There are six judges in Bulgaria who handle all the adoptions.

Three of them are good judges.

Three are not.

“Good” means that our attorney stands before them for five minutes and they say we are good to go.

“Not good” means that we are all sent capriciously after this and that paperwork for what can be months of delay.

Our attorney has no control over which judge is assigned to which case.

PLEASE PRAY that God would speed Katie’s adoption at every turn, both in US Immigrations and the adoption process in Bulgaria.

PLEASE PRAY that in the long term, God would make a way for there to be a common-sense and expedited process for the children with special needs who are at very little risk of being trafficked like the “perfect” children are.

Our next step is to wait and pray and trust.

30 Responses to “Wait, pray, trust”

1. Kim says:

Praying from WV!

2. You know we are on our knees praying!! (((HUGS))) We may never have heard of anything happening in less than 4 months-but never say never! God is in control!! Praise God!! Katie your momma is coming!!

3. Susan says:

I’m awake and praying! Now, have you had any sleep??

Liliana’s account is over $20,000 as of a few minutes ago. I pray that the needless red tape can be eliminated, and that all of the waiting children where you are can be brought home expeditiously. Alternatively, in-country hospitalization seems indicated, if the very specialized treatment needed can be provided there.  A medical visa seems like a very good idea, rather than having to subject these little ones to more months of waiting and all that would entail.

I hope this isn’t too invasive ore indiscreet, but might you be able to supplement Katie’s diet with the same substance you feed Verity when you’re with her? I wish Liliana could also benefit…

Godspeed on this live-changing journey…

Susan in KY

4. Stephanie Lynch says:

Praying for you….oh, please pray the blood of Jesus over all of the children.  I pray that your hands are annointed and as you touch them they will feel the love of Jesus.  Please tear down the walls that satan tries to build…thank you Jesus for what you have done.  Please keep Katie safe.  Remove the barriers of time. We ask that you expedite this process at every level and at every step.  In Jesus Name. AMEN.

Stephanie Lynch

Susan, I don’t know you, but I love you and the way you think! I do not have time now, but I do plan to write about the mama’s milk idea and why it will have to wait until we come to bring her home.

I’ve been running on four to five hrs. of sleep per night + caffeine. Caffeine for the first time since I conceived John Michael in January of 2005, with pregnancies and nursing non-stop since then. All the caffeinated milk I’m pumping this week is being dumped. :) I knew the pumping and dumping was coming from the very beginning and accepted it long ago. I am just thanking God for keeping my milk supply from drying up this week!

Thank you SO much for praying, my friends!!

7. Amanda says:

Praying in California.

8. Amanda says:

Praying for you!  I know God has a big plan.  I also know your heart has to be breaking into pieces as you have to go.  You are in my prayers!

9. Becky K. says:

My heart is with you as you make the long trip home.  God has truly blessed this week.  I know you have seen it and felt His hand but I think as we get further away from it the memories will be encouragement if waiting is necessary.  From melting hard hearts to allowing a hurt and scared little girl to reach curiously to her Momma’s face.  God has been in EVERY moment.
    It could be that Katie’s Beba will get just enough time with her to reinforce the training ideas you shared.  And that she will then truly be excited to train others and love more children with therapies.
    I love you, Susanna. And while my heart breaks, so much, that you have to leave Katie….for a while…..I rejoice that you will come home to ten loving and wonderful children who will be there for you.  That reunion is going to be so sweet.  I can just imagine Verity as she is held in your arms again.  And your sweet young ladies who’s eyes are so expressive…they will be dancing with joy.  Joe and the boys have surely missed you but they have proved themselves to be very capable and strong during this time.
    When you are here and know what you need, please don’t hesitate to ask.  We’ll do anything we are able to do.
    Hugs.
    Becky

10. Kendra says:

Praying Susanna!  All week I have been praying for when you’d have to lay Katie down and leave.  And all the while asking God for a miracle that you wouldn’t have to do that! I can’t imagine how hard it is to leave her behind. Only with God’s strength can you do this. Praying now for the hearts of those that make decisions will be moved by the precious little ones frail state.  He Can Do It!  with love

11. Heather McFarland says:

Have shared, have added her and all the children in this orphanage to our prayer chain at church.  Have donated to help bring home Liliana and if I had to place my guess, it is most likely going to exceed the $22,000 listed.  God is awaking his people who for too long have been asleep.  His witness through you is amazing.  Praying continually for him to move, protect, and love.  For the babies, for the families, the officials, Toni.  For all involved.  Thank you Jesus for your love and mercy!  Safe travels.

12. Marci says:

Susanna,
    I’m praying with you and everyone else.

13. alice says:

Susanna, this is what I read this morning and feel the Lord wanted me to share it with you! Isaiah 49:8-26, especially vs. 9-13

To say to the captives, “Come out,” and to those in darkness, “Be free!” They will feed beside the roads and find pasture on every barren hill. They will neither hunger nor thirst, nor will the desert heat or the sun beat upon them. He who has compassion on them will guide them and lead them beside springs of water. I will turn all my mountains into roads, and my highways will be raised up. See, they will come from afar–some from the north, some from the west, some from the region of Aswan. Shout for joy, O heavens, rejoice, O earth, burst into song, O mountains! For the LORD comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.

Amen! Still praying!

14. Coleen says:

Praying that you have peace today and that you can get some much needed rest before you head home!

15. Brianna says:

My husband and I are praying for you.  Thank you again for your testimony; God is continuing to teach me through your testimony!
    I’m praying that God would abundantly pour out his grace into your heart, Susanna, as I cannot imagine all that your heart and emotions are trying to handle as you actually experience the things that you are.

16. Joy McClain says:

Crying and praying.  May Jesus be very close to the both of you in this time of separation.

17. I’ll keep praying!  With God all things are possible and what an amazing testimony Katie will have.  He is working and will keep doing so!  I know you have had quite the week, will be praying for you as you prepare to return home, but I know part of you is staying behind with Katie.  ((((hugs))))  Safe travels God be with you!

18. Nikki- sing4jy says:

I have been praying!! How much money do you still need for Katie’s adoption?

19. stephanie says:

Susanna, I’m just about speechless as I’ve been watching how this is all unfolding. It’s almost too much to believe. How God has guided you and moved all the pieces in to place. I think it’s more than a miracle… I don’t have the words to express it. It’s like all of heaven working in perfect unison with  their earthly team. Each person carrying out their duties at precisely the right time.
    It is amazing

Stephanie, I know exactly what you mean. Amazing.

21. Anna T says:

Dear Susanna,  I am praying for you as you will soon begin your trip home.  Praying for Katerina as she rests in Jesus’ arms and her Ba-Ba…  Praying that your adoption will be super fast and that she will soon be home with her family…  Thank you for explaining why it **usually** takes so long…  ((Hugs)) and love friend!!

22. Ginger says:

Praying, praying, praying. God’s arm is never too short to save. He is a father to the fatherless; he places the lonely into families.
    May His name be mightily glorified!

23. Angiedawn says:

Praying that Katie is brought home sooner than anyone thought possible and thanking God that he has done as much as he has!!!!!!!!! (((((((HUGS)))))))

24. veronica p says:

Dear friends let’s vote for Susanna blog!    <div><div id=”parents_badge_image”><script src=”http://blog-awards.parents.com/blog-awards/badge/631.js” type=”text/javascript”></script></div>
    <div class=”parents_badge_text”>By <a href=”http://blog-awards.parents.com/best_special_needs_blog”>Best Special Needs Blog</a></div></div>

25. Marilyn Osborn says:

Watching and praying and sharing with many friends who are doing the same!

26. Susan says:

Liliana is now “officially” on Reece’s Rainbow’s My Family Found Me! page! Things are moving at warp speed – actually, make that God’s speed.

Bless you again for discovering Liliana and alerting so many to her. And praying for traveling mercies as you return home to wait for your return to Katie – may it come soon.

I am so thankful for Katie’s Baba, and her warmth and kindness. It’s reassuring to know that this lovely lady will be caring for Katie while you are away – I hope she or someone else like her can provide similar care for Liliana and the other children in this place.

Thanks for reminding me about the caffeine – clearly a necessary dietary supplement while adoption-traveling!

Hope you can sleep on the planes en route home, and that your homeward journey goes smoothly.

Susan in Ky
    Cousin to 2 from U.

27. Missy says:

Praying for you all Susanna from Cincinnati!

28. Brenna says:

You and your and precious little Katie are in our prayers! Her story has touched our hearts, and we pray the Lord will move mountains to bring her home to you swiftly.

29. Katherine Lauer says:

I am overjoyed to see your precious Katie-bird smiling and relaxing a bit! My heart soars now with hope about how she will blossom in her forever-home with you!

30. Nancy Neal says:

Praying for you in Plano TX.  Recited your words in prayer, lifting up my arms in praise. Our God is an AWESOME God and in the name of Jesus, He is going to set those children free and place them in loving, Godly, nurturing homes!! Hugs to you and your attorney!