“Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen, and called its name Ebenezer [literally: 'stone of help'], saying, “’Thus far the LORD has helped us.'”
1. A family who lives in the next county will be coming to take our children home with them for a few days next week. Just this offer alone would have been enough to boggle our minds–ten children, ages one to seventeen?–but imagine how stunned we were at their first offer to have them all for the entire time! This sacrificial offer of help came after it was not logistically possible to accept it, but let’s just say that we were flabbergasted and humbled by the fact that it was made at all. Thank you, John and Anna and children!
2. Our new church has jumped right in with both feet, immediately and enthusiastically taking us into their circle with prayer and friendship and moral and practical support. We know this is not about deserving and repaying, but we think it says an awful lot about the caliber of their character considering that we just showed up on their doorstep not long ago! Thank you, every one of you, for your wholehearted welcome, and for your prayers!
~One of the brothers offered to work for Joe four hours a day if it would mean that Joe and I could travel together. Again, even though this was an offer that we were unable to accept, we were stunned and moved by what it meant. Thank you, Tim!
~One of the couples will be picking me up in a few hours and driving me to the Philly airport. Thank you, Warren and Becky!
~We have a list hanging on the side of our refrigerator written up by the sister who organized meals for the whole time I will be away, and even a couple of meals after I get back! Thank you, sisters who are too numerous to name here!
~Joe has supper invitations for both nights the children will also be away. Thank you, Warren and Becky, and thank you, Jon and Sue!
~Last night, the pastor came over to encourage us with Scripture and pray with us, and we got to sing together and spend time visiting. He ended up going along with us on one of our famous after-dark walks, this one brisk and moonlit and accompanied by high spirits. Thank you, Mike!
3. Another mom in the universal T21 club saw a need and was moved to meet it. She had exactly the same double electric pump I have been borrowing from a relative, except hers has an additional feature–battery capability! I will have an electric pump in Bulgaria!!! Wooo-hooooo! Only those of you who have exclusively pumped for the long-term will fully appreciate what a burden it will lift that I will not need to use the hand pumps for anything more than the flights! This mom put some extras into the box and spent almost twenty dollars to ship it all to me, and added, “It is a gift. Feel free to do whatever with it when you are done.” Thank you, Mary!
4. Seemingly out of the blue, our neighbor was prompted to bless our family with a meal on what was such a hectic day this week that I didn’t get to eat my breakfast until sometime in the afternoon! Thank you, Gloria!
5. Our good friends are blessing us by bringing a meal for the family tonight. They also invited all our children to their home on Tuesday to give me one day to completely focus on preparations. I was able to finish my own packing and the packing it was possible to do for the children ahead of time, plus write out many instructions to leave with the children. Thank you, Steve and Suvilla and family!
6. A dear and gifted friend took a few hours from her own large and busy family to lend me her expertise in carefully thinking through and choosing my wardrobe for the time I am away. Yes, I am so clueless in this area that I wrote it all down and packed the list, too. Thank you, Maureen!
7. Our faithful friends sent us a check with instructions on how much was to be spent by Joe for something special for the family staying home, and how much for me to spend on the orphanage! Thank you, Merle and Kim!
8. The missionaries in the capital city of Katerina’s country who have offered their home to us readily agreed to host me for another day to help us save over $600 in airfare. Thank you, David and Sasha!
9. So many friends and family have borne us up before the Lord for so many months, it moves me to tears to think of it. We are seeing the answers to your prayers unfolding before our eyes. Thank you, brothers and sisters, you bless our lives. You bring greater glory to God by your unselfish love.
10. “Many, O LORD my God, are Your wonderful works
Which You have done;
And Your thoughts toward us
Cannot be recounted to You in order;
If I would declare and speak of them,
They are more than can be numbered.”