Fourteen months, with a cherry on top

August 28th, 2011

She must have been waiting for me to get back home.

Yes, that’s it.  Of course.

In just this one week…

Verity has sprouted the next logical tooth.

She now responds to the word, “Point,” by pointing one tiny finger at the nose or the button or the key.

Not long ago, we had to work hard to keep her doing something.  Now she can’t stand to do nothing.

Here’s where a little determination can make up for a lot.  And this girl is determined.

She has begun pulling herself up to stand.  And says, “Pu, pu, pu.”

She has begun making her first baby attempts at cruising.

Her ears are working perfectly.  No fluid.  And yes, they are being tested on top-of-the-line equipment.

Her thyroid function bloodwork, says Dr. Strauss, “Could not be more perfect.”

We put large cans of food inside that bin to weight it down.  Now it’s just right for pulling herself up.

She is getting stronger all the time…

…healthy…

…smart…

…opinionated…

…busy…

…quick-humored…

…sweet-smelling…

…soft…

…and irresistibly myum myum myummy.

And the BEST for last…

Some months ago I wrote here that Verity most likely wouldn’t crawl until she was about eighteen months old.

When I mentioned that number to her physical therapist, she said that a more realistic goal would be at least age two.

Verity must have been chuckling into her sleeve.

Yesterday, I was upstairs pumping when Joe called me on the intercom.

“Guess what your little Wonder-Baby is doing down here??”

She is almost as proud of herself as we are of her.  Sweet cherry cupcake.

26 Responses to “Fourteen months, with a cherry on top”

1. Kim says:

Not only is it just wonderful that she’s crawling – and earlier than some predicted, but I love that she is crawling on all fours! Most of the babies with Down Syndrome that I’ve worked with army crawl. When I saw Verity start onto her knees I was so excited for her! :)

2. Kim Yeatts says:

Way to go, little one!!! I didn’t mind watching it twice–loved how her big brother was so extremely tender with her.
    I’ve been meaning to ask–to strangers, Katie will look like a baby, not a nine year old–will you tell them her real age or give them an answer that will pacify? (her developmental age) Would you even want to pacify? Telling them her real age can show them how the conditions she grew up in prevented lots of her growth. But, pacifying seems quicker and easier.

3. Verity is beautiful!  What a little joy.  I recently found your blog because of a friend, Gentry, and I have had Katerina one my heart ever sice!  I saw the video of your visit and am filled with great joy knowing she will have someone to love.  She is also beautiful!  I will be praying for your family.  Your story has touched my life.  I told my husband today that I will adopt a baby that needs us like Katerina and he said “I know, you just have to wait until our girls are older”.  Thank you for sharing your story.

We are currently in the process of adopting a little boy with Down syndroem from Hong Kong.  Jamie Weitzman

4. Libby says:

Go Verity go!  Way to move sweet girl!

5. JenK says:

oh how wonderful!  Look at her go!  It is so amazing to see all these new accomplishments!

Jamie, have you seen this blog? http://aplaceforpeter.blogspot.com/ These folks recently brought home a little boy with Down syndrome from Hong Kong. :)

Kim (Yeatts), yes, without a doubt, I will tell them the truth, and probably more of it than they had bargained for!

8. Felicity says:

Well done Verity, sweet cuddly little girl!

9. Susan says:

While I was reading this post my heart and mind went to Katerina!  God has used your time working with Verity to give you the skills to work with her.  I can’t wait to see how God uses you and the family to propell her forward in her developement.  Praying she will be in your arms again – by God’s will and timing.

10. Deanna Rabe says:

Go,Verity!
    That is awesome!  She is a sweet little girl….

11. Kim Yeatts says:

;) You, go, girl!!! (and I mean you, Susanna!)

12. Anna T says:

Smiling and rejoicing with you!!  Go Verity Go!!  Praying for you!!

13. Karen says:

She is just so precious! I just want to scoop her up and give her a big cuddle!  Thank you for sharing Verity’s achievements.

14. Gail says:

Rejoicing with you! She is precious!

love,
    Gail

15. Kristi says:

Yay Verity and yay Susanna for all of the work you’ve done!!! I also thought it was really sweet to see big brother loving on her :)

16. Becky K. says:

That is the way to do it, Verity!  She is just so very precious!!

17. Marilyn Osborn says:

Joyful tears!!!!!!!  YAY for that sweet princess!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Valerie says:

F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S!

19. Joy says:

SWEET CHERRY CUPCAKE!!!!  YAY, Verity!!!!!

20. Deb Wielhouwer says:

Go, Verity! That is worth watching twice. And GO Susannah! God is using you in mighty ways. I love following this blog…not only is it encouraging, but I am learning to champion the fight for the children you are serving through this process. Thank you for allowing us to be part of your prayer team!

21. Tami Swaim says:

I am impressed!  Both knees bent up under her.  Digging with her knees and feet.  The upper body strength!  No dragging anything…leg…body…she is fully up there and crawling!  Impressive!  Did her therapist see that yet?  Please post their facial expression when they do!

22. Barb Murphy says:

So sweet!!! I loved seeing Verity take off the shirt, pointing, standing up, and crawling.  She is full of lots of fun surprises for you!
    Continuing to pray about the timing of the adoption and the others in the orphanage.

23. Jennifer Hall says:

I see some Cutest Baby Contest photo entries here – especially the one where she is looking up at the camera!! She is smart and beautiful!

24. Jillian says:

It played twice because it knew we would all have to hit replay to watch it again anyway!

Good job Verity!!!!

25. April (justonemorebaby) says:

GO VERITY!!!! Just a little boost for you Mama (like you needed one after all those accomplishments ;)
    Emmitt is now coming up on 14 months and does NONE of that he he. No crawling (he gets around but not by crawling!) No cruising (doesn’t even pull himself to standing unless I really, really encourage it) and his vocal skills are cute but not even a trace of real words :D
    She certainly is one amazing little sweetheart!!

Oh my, April, that IS amazing! What a nice mama to write that just to encourage me! Thank you!