Safe

July 29th, 2011

“One thing I have desired of the LORD,
         That will I seek:
         That I may dwell in the house of the LORD
         All the days of my life,
         To behold the beauty of the LORD,
         And to inquire in His temple.”

Last year at this time, our baby daughter was struggling to breathe.  Look in the upper left-hand corner of this picture.  See that monitor?  The blue line at the bottom shows her respirations.  She took breaks from breathing, she gasped and panted.  At the time of this picture, she hadn’t opened her eyes in over twenty-four hours.  She had stopped taking anything by mouth, and if I put her milk through that little tube faster than three ounces per hour, her stomach rejected it.

“For in the time of trouble
         He shall hide me in His pavilion;”

She urgently needed help in order to live.  The relief on my face shows that we were safely where she would receive help.

And tomorrow morning it will be one year since she got that life-giving help.

One year since her daddy laid his hand upon her and told God that we were trusting Him with her life.

One year since I placed our struggling baby girl back into her big hospital bed and watched the men wheel her away.

One year since Dr. Clark placed his scalpel between those tiny ribs and mercifully cut her wide open.

So that her heart could be changed.  So that she could live.

“In the secret place of His tabernacle
         He shall hide me;
         He shall set me high upon a rock.”

Tonight her sleep is safe and deep.  Is she dreaming about beeping big brother Daniel’s nose?  Is she seeing the faces of the neighbors who gathered at our home this evening?  Is she still tasting the sweet juiciness of cantaloupe and watermelon?  Is she seeing the froggie friend and dolly and Jemima Puddle Duck she played with before falling asleep?  Is she still hearing the Bach that wafted through her room as she drifted off?  Seeing the loving smiles of her family?

God, who knows the end from the beginning, knows that Verity was just as safe a year ago as she is tonight.

“And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me;
         Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle;
         I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD. “

11 Responses to “Safe”

1. Denise says:

WOW!!  I remember that very much!!
    What a difference a year makes!!!  (God moving through that year)
    I am so happy for you guys!!
    She is SOOOO cute!!

2. Becky K. says:

Such a treasure. what a God we serve.
    Beautifully written.

3. Ginger says:

PRAISE THE LORD!!

4. Dani says:

Praising God with you.  What a miracle.

5. Joy says:

I remember it well, Susanna. That pic of her after surgery is just heart-breaking – but the one afterwards and hearing of her playing and “beeping” her brother’s nose, etc. is SO healing and precious to hear!!!

I hope I get to meet Little Miss Verity one day!

6. Anna T says:

I remember how young she was and how tiny she looked with all of her tubes and other equipment in the PICU.  I am so thankful that we were able to “meet” face to face, what a blessing!!  I LOVE how she has her legs crossed as she’s sleeping, precious!!  I’m continuing to pray for you!!

7. Kendra says:

Thank you for that beautiful post Susanna and the reminder that God never leaves His children and we can fully trust Him.  LOVE how Verity sleeps!  Precious!

8. Jillian says:

That last picture is just the sweetest! What a precious little Verity! <3

9. stephanie says:

I can’t believe that was a whole year ago. YOU look so beautiful in that picture with her.

10. Shari~hotfudgecustard says:

Praise the Lord!  He is so good!

11. Laura says:

We have pictures very similar to these of our Mylie. :) What memories.
    I love the verse you shared!
    And I have to add, our girl sleeps like that too with her feet all propped up against the sides! If I slept like she does, my feet would be painfully “asleep!”  Still, four years later, she sticks those feet up against the rails and props them in the air while she sleeps. So funny. :)