We went to church this morning.

June 5th, 2011

Some of you might read the title and think, “Ye-e-e-e-ess?  And so?  We did, too.  What is newsworthy about that?”

And some of you may have been surprised, and wondered what has changed, that our family would have gone to church!

I haven’t said much about this here on Verity’s blog.  But basically…

We spent our first sixteen years as a pastor’s family.  The more of those years that went by, the more we longed to find out what would happen if we would just strip churchiness away and only do what we found in the New Testament.  Not because churchiness is evil, but because we saw it getting in the way more than helping.

God gave us over two years of opportunity to attempt that as a home fellowship.  We loved it for so many reasons.  One little side benefit was that it helped us start to get the churchiness out of our systems.  Then various circumstances among the group–a move, health and other concerns–gradually gave us clues that God was closing that door.

This weekend, the time was right.  The decision was made to close that door and open the next.

I felt some pangs of sadness and disappointment, but God brought to mind what I have taught all our children when they were very small, if they cried for more dessert once theirs was gone.  The proper response to a good gift is to say, “Thank you.”  No discontented begging and whining.  Just a satisfied and grateful heart.  That reminder rebuked me!  So I say “Thank You, Lord.”  What a privilege to have spent those twenty-eight months breaking bread from house to house, in gladness and simplicity of heart.

If God had never opened that door to begin with, we knew which local group of believers we would commit to.  We had spent some time with them in the past, and already knew that we held many, many beliefs in common, especially about theology, the body of Christ, and the family.  This week, we purposed as a family that we would not approach this new group of believers with critical expectations, and we would approach them with intent to commit to relationships for the long term.  In other words, they didn’t know it when we walked in the doors this morning, but we were there to stay!

This afternoon, talking together on the way home from spending a good part of the day with our new church family, it was unanimous.  HURRAY!

So no, we don’t have eyes to see all the reasons that God has led our family this way at this time.  But we are confident that He has, and we are glad.

11 Responses to “We went to church this morning.”

1. Becky K. says:

We loved having you and I am thrilled to get a chance to read your blog!!!
    I am so happy that you will be worshiping with us.

2. Danielle M. says:

That looks like a wonderful church, Susanna.  I pray that you are blessed by the fellowship and fed by the preaching.  I know you will be a blessing to the ladies there.

So, one sunday we may have to come visit you at your new church and stay for lunch too.

3. Elizabeth G says:

Hi Susanna, I sent you an email, but for some reason it bounced back to me.
    I wanted to let you know that even though you are on a break, that there is a mother at the other website that just had a baby boy born with severe disabilities that was asking for help. I immediately thought of you and your wisdom and your heart for other mothers who are going though such things.

Thank you SO much for letting me know, Elizabeth. I am sending her a PM. Thank you, thank you.

Btw, we changed our family’s email address to get unlimited space or some such thing. The susanna@theblessingofverity.com is still up and running just the same, though. :)

That would be fun, Danielle! You would love it, I am sure!

6. Stephanie says:

You always handle the closing of chapters with such grace and poise.  I’m still learning that… but trust me, it hasn’t gone unnoticed!  I’m sure your family will be such a blessing at this new church and that this church will be a blessing to you.  And now I’m curious what God is up to. ;)

7. Tami Swaim says:

Ha …that so interesting…Mark and I have been passing this meeting wondering about it on our way to our family doctor and the library.  We turn on Buck Road to get to both!  Isn’t that interesting.  Now my wondering is put to rest.  I never thought to look up and see if they have a website!  So, looks like it would be convinent to have Sunday Lunch together since you’ll always be passing White Oak on 222 (well, except for the new detour route…but still convinent)….wheels in my head are turning can you smell the smoke LOL

Tami, Sonrise has a meal together on the 1st and 3rd Sundays, so…on one of the other weeks? That would be great to get together again! :D

9. Deanna Rabe says:

Susanna,
    I went home Sunday after fellowship and read your blog for hours!  Still not caught up! :)  This is my first chance to get back to it this week!
    We are so happy you are coming and staying!  We are so looking forward to knowing you better!
    Blessings!
    Deanna

10. Tami Swaim says:

Ok…I will keep that schedule in mind!

11. Amy says:

I had been attending a Home Congregation called Christ Fellowship led by Jim Elliff for 9 years. This past winter God began to lay it on my heart that I may need to go some where else. I didn’t know why but I felt Him leading me in that way. I loved my church and all my brothers and sisters in Christ. I came to a true knowledge and understanding of God and his word shortly after going to my church. The Home church was the only church my kids knew. I am a creature of comfort and I didn’t like the idea a doing something different. I never would have left my church if God didn’t lead me to. I began attending my new church 8 weeks before I had Amelia. I tried to throw myself in there and get to know people as well as I could. My husband doesn’t go to church with me so I knew with 4 kids and a baby on the way fellowship would be hard. The first few weeks were very emotional. The pregnancy became high risk shortly after I began coming. The women of the church wrapped their arms around me. When Amelia was born and we found out she had Down Syndrome the church once again wrapped their arms around me. No one was sad for us but thought of Amelia as a blessing. They provided meals for my family and many helped us in other ways. This after only 8 weeks of knowing us. My husband lost his job of 14 years less than 2 weeks after we had Amelia. The company closed. The church was there once again to comfort me and pray for us. I have been very blessed by the new church already. I sometimes think though that God knew our story could reach many more by stepping out of the home church and into the current one. I have already heard from many that they have been moved by our story. I would rather say they have been moved by watching how God is working in our lives. I am so thankful for my new church and my old one. God has greatly increased the number of people praying for us by going to the new church. I am constantly seeking his guidance in every thing. Sorry it is so long I just wanted to share. :)