In Verity news

March 8th, 2011

Remember Dorothy Vader?

He he.

She went to visit her friends at the Clinic for Special Children this morning.

The good news is that she is still hearing just fine!  No fluid in her ears, and perfectly passed her hearing test.

Also good news is that she does not have RSV!  Passed that test this morning, too.

The best news of all is that she is not aspirating fluids!  Thank the Lord!

The less-than-good news is that she has bronchiolitis.

Also less-than-good news is that her bronchiolitis is being triggered by reflux.

The least good news of all is she will be getting rice cereal in her milk to thicken it, one teaspoon per ounce.  Rice interacts with stomach acids and gels the stomach contents, preventing them from refluxing.  This should allow her airways to calm down, clean themselves up, and heal.

Why is this news a little sad to hear?  Because she can’t get thickened milk directly from me, or through a supplemental nursing system.  It has to come from a bottle!

So in the good sovereignty of God, Verity will be bottle fed full time.

I am thankful that my body has proven that it responds well to exclusive pumping, so I can continue to give her the benefits of mama’s milk.  I’m also thankful that she is not resisting the new plan at all.  She even likes the pureed prunes I’m giving her to counteract the…uh…the inevitable consequences of the rice cereal.

There is a possibility that she may eventually outgrow this problem, enabling us to try to re-establish breastfeeding at some future time.

But even if she never nurses again, may I say how precious it has been to nurse this little one?  I will never forget the overwhelming joy of nursing her these past four months.  What a kind gift from the Lord it has been!

8 Responses to “In Verity news”

1. Ilisa says:

Oh Susanna!  I feel for you.  This is what we went through with Calvin.  Just an FYI, there is an enzyme in breast-milk that breaks down rice cereal, so, if you need an alternative, contact me.  I went through so much in Cal’s early days and can be a help.  I cried over this.  Somehow he overcame it after OHS.  I will pray big time for her to grow out of it.  Also, if it is reflux and not aspirating, could it be taken care of with a reflux med or by eliminating dairy?  Just some thoughts.  Best wishes…

Ilisa, thank you for your understanding! I have already eliminated dairy (for several months now), and we’d rather avoid the drugs if possible. That would be our next step if this doesn’t work. I’d love to know of good alternatives to rice cereal if you already know we’re going to run into trouble with it! Thank you so much!

3. Misty says:

(((HUGS))) I know that is hard for you.  We are dealing with reflux here too but I am hoping that eliminating dairy will help.

4. Stephanie Blanchard says:

((HUGS))  I didn’t get to nurse Solomon as long as I desired… but I see the wisdom in His plan. I’ll be praying for the reflux.  Julianne struggled with reflux until age 3 (!!) which is not very common at all.  We did have to go the prescription route.

5. Erin says:

I totally feel you, we are going through the same stuff. xoxoxo

6. Anna T says:

((Hugs)) and I’m glad that they were able to figure out “Dorothy Vader” — ha, ha!!  What clinic did you go to?  It appears that they covered alot during your (few hour) visit?  I’m praying for you friend!!

Thank you so much, Anna! It is the Clinic for Special Children (http://www.clinicforspecialchildren.org/CSC/Home.html) where we’ve been taking V. since she was a few days old. They are about ten minutes from our house. LOVE this amazing place!!! LOVE everyone who I’ve met there!!! LOVE what they do!!! They always act like you are the only person in the world right then, and take all the time you need and cover everything thoroughly. I don’t think I’ve ever been there less than two hours. Dr. Strauss drew out a full diagram for me of what was going on inside Verity. He is a believer, and is being a huge help and support as he is able with the adoption plans. I cannot speak highly enough of this Clinic and the blessing it has been to our family!

Here’s an interesting documentary that was done about the Clinic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qAUy6oYH8M

8. Anna T says:

Thanks Susanna for the links, I just watched the documentary, very informative and I LOVE that the founder, Dr. Morton was a High School drop-out and then went to and graduated from Harvard Medical School, love it!! What a great group to care for Miss Verity!!

Also, as an aside breastmilk does break down rice cereal, but, not right away, it takes a few minutes (10 — 15)… With Jacob I definitely noticed a difference in his “spitting up” when he started eating more solid food, it was almost as if the food on top of the breat milk helped to hold it down.  He was never officially diagnosed with GERD.  Thankfully he very rarely spits up anymore, just when he stuffs himself with breatmilk and has no additional “food” (LOL!)!  My little guy is waking up, time to run!