Debt and the Providence of God Q & A

March 8th, 2011

Q:  Why don’t you guys feel comfortable accepting the $4000 loan from Lifesong?  Can’t you pay it back after you get your adoption tax credit next year?

A:  We can answer that best by excerpting from our email to Lifesong answering these very questions.  Understand that we see voluntary debt as presuming on the future.  There is no guarantee that we will indeed receive an adoption tax credit next year.

“After extensive and deep discussion, we made a final decision that we would rather not borrow, not even with those very generous terms.

We like the idea of using money to adopt, and then passing it on to the next family to use, but we just cannot guarantee that we will have the money later, and that knowledge gives us a burdened feeling.  We cannot sign knowing that we may have to say later on that we do not have the wherewithal to pay it back.

We have the unshakeable sense that if we accept it, we are really stating that we believe we may get to a point where we need money that God hasn’t provided, so we are putting this safety net in place just in case.

Then there’s the general idea from Scripture that being in debt is just not a blessing from God.  We don’t believe it is evil!  Not at all!  It’s just clearly not the better part of wisdom.  We would have to override our consciences that are telling us that this is not what God wants *for us.*

I hope this makes sense!  We are so appreciative of how graciously it has been extended to us, and we do not at all want to communicate ungraciously in return!”

Q:  How did Lifesong respond to this rejection of their kind offer?

A:  They responded today with the following email:

“We understand completely and appreciate your transparency. After much prayer and discussion, we’d like to offer you the same $4,000 as a matching grant, rather than a loan… we feel it’s what is best for your family.”

Between now and May 4th, Lifesong for Orphans will match, dollar-for-dollar, every gift that is given to them for our adoption, up to $4000!!

Praising our GREAT PROVIDER for this marvelous and unexpected provision!!!!

10 Responses to “Debt and the Providence of God Q & A”

1. Kendra says:

We love following your blog and hearing what God is doing.  We are praising His name along with you.  :-)

2. Amy (choochie) says:

Praise the Lord!!  That is so wonderful!!

3. Stephanie Blanchard says:

I completely understand your stance on debt.  We have a very similar thought about it.  Our homestudy worker kind of laughed at us, BUT God provided in His perfect timing and we were matched with the child He chose for our family.

4. Erin says:

I hear walls crashing down around you, God is moving powerfully around your family. Praise him!!!!!!  I posted your blog on my fbook acccount and will blog about your story soon.  I can’t wait to come and meet you all when she gets home. xoxoxo

5. Candy says:

So well put! I just love the way to stick to what God’s path for you is. We CAN’T WAIT to give with that matching grant!!! (I don’t know if Scott already did since he gets on before I get up). It gives me thrills all through to watch this path unfold for you and Katerina. Talk about encouraging and building up of my own faith! :)
    P.S. Thank you again for being such a support for Shauna

6. Kim says:

WHOA! It’s just amazing!

7. Anna T says:

YEA!!  I need to talk with my DH and make a donation!!  Woo, hoo!!  God is selling a few cows : ) !!  Can we also visit when Erin does?  Love, prayers and ((hugs))…

Thank you, Anna! That is a wonderful idea to come when Erin does! Or you don’t have to wait that long! *wink, wink*

9. Christina says:

What a blessing!  :)  Deciding against debt is NEVER a bad decision and God is always faithful to provide our needs.  Blessings to you!