Wrestling with an Angel. (We want you to have it.)

December 11th, 2010

“It is the rare book that makes much of God and our dependency on Him while also celebrating His goodness through hard things.

This book is a gift to the church, and particularly to men who need an example of masculine, biblical leadership in the face of complex, confusing, and overwhelming circumstances.

If you have ever confronted hardship and questioned God’s goodness, this book provides a real-life example of trusting in the promises of God.”

~ John Knight

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“This is not primarily a book for parents of special-needs children.  There is only one disability that keeps a person from heaven, the sin that lives in our hearts.

Greg Lucas is a captivating story-teller.  When he writes about life with Jake, I recognize God’s grace and loving persistence in my own life.  I want more!”

~ Noel Piper

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The book is “Wrestling with an Angel:  A Story of Love, Disability and the Lessons of Grace,” written by Greg Lucas, and released last month.

This is 99 succinct pages of crystal-clear vision into the deep places where pain meets the goodness of God…with many anecdotes from the author’s life.

It is not a read-aloud for children.  It is not sentimental.  It is not boring.  It does not take short-cuts past the truth.

This book would make a good gift for anyone who has wrestled to reconcile spiritual realities with painful realities in the here and now.

We have five copies right now to give away to those of you tell us why you want it.  If you would rather we didn’t publish your comment, we won’t.

There’s no time limit, so please ask for a copy any time, even several months from now!

Did you hear that?

Please ask.

If you want it, we want you to have it.

[We will buy more if more people want the book…because…

…we want you to have it.]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P. S. I didn’t forget about the promised adoption update.  I’m working on it!  Until then, please consider checking out two links, in this order:

One, a very short post from the above author’s blog.

Two, the blog of my friend Patti, who is doing a marvelous job raising funds for Olga’s adoption fund. Olga is a sweet girl who is listed on Reece’s Rainbow, and she is scheduled to be transferred to a mental institution in January if a family does not step forward to adopt her.  If she has a significant amount in her adoption fund, it will enable her family to do just that.  Continue to read Patti’s newer posts to be amazed at how God is moving hearts.  Please pray.  If you have Paypal, it only takes a few clicks to give.

I have to post about this, because WHAT IF one of you is Olga’s future family?

15 Responses to “Wrestling with an Angel. (We want you to have it.)”

1. Ilisa says:

Hi Susanna.  I am so impressed with V’s tummy time!!  Yay!  So, about the book…I’d LOVE one!  I am not very good at tough reads when it comes to God, as I’d consider myself new on this path.  BUT, if it’s an easier read, I’m sure I could learn a lot, as I have questioned God’s “perfect” plan.  I am curious about how it helps men, as the first quote refers to.  Again, if it’s a complicated read, I will pass…you be the judge :)  Also, I have been thinking about your wrap and if the offer is still on the table to try it out, I think that is more realistic for me than getting out to try things…Thanks!

2. Heather Powell says:

I would love to have a copy of this book.  My son, Garrett,  has autism.  He is 2 years old , and an absolute blessing to parent.  At times my husband and I do struggle aginst,and with the ” painful realities in the here and now”.  After all it is not easy work to raise a “special needs” child, as I’m sure you understand.  Thank you for considering our family, and for the TRUTH you share.  I am truly blessed by it.

Please keep the pics of Verity coming.. Garrett loves to see her and signs “baby” when ever he does.

Merry Christmas!

Ilisa, it is a quick, easy read, and it is not just for men.  But it communicates well to men.  Does that make sense?  I got your email address and will email you for your snail mail address so we can get the book and K’Tan mailed out to you on Monday.  :)

Heather, thank you!  I am planning a good photo shoot on the next sunny day!  :) Emailing you!

4. Ginger says:

I’d love the book! If Noel Piper validates it; it must be good! :)

5. Amy Morris says:

Susanna, do you think this book would help me? As a nurse to a girl whose life was drastically changed by a car accident that caused brain damage at age 11, I have often questioned God’s plan in the mist of tragedy and hard times. Maybe I could also share it with her family. What do you think? Thanks.

6. Lorie says:

I’ve been reading your blog for quite awhile now and have enjoyed all that you and your family are learning.  God is so good!  I too have a special needs son who has cerebral palsy and has been used by God to teach me so much about Him.  He has been the biggest blessing in my life.  I’ve also been reading the Wrestling with an Angel blog and would really enjoy reading his book!  Thanks.

7. Andrea Mann says:

I would LOVE a copy of this book.  I have heard about it from a few different places, but didn’t know what it was about.  Our hearts have always been to care for the orphans, and specifically those that are outcast from society because of race, sex, and special needs.  We knew we were getting a child who was toxically exposed when we got our girly; we were surprised when we found out at eight months that she had a genetic disorder.  But really when it came down to it, we didn’t stay surprised for long.  We had prayed for God to bring us the child He wanted us to have, and that He did, perfectly and beautifully.
    Thanks for your generosity.  When I finish with the book I plan to pass it to friends I’ve made on our special needs journey. :)

Andrea

8. Esther Glick says:

I would enjoy reading this book. I always love support and encouragment in the journey of parenting a special needs child.
    off to check out the other websites you posted….

9. Ginger says:

Rec’d this book today and I can’t put it down! Thank you SO much! I can’t wait to share it. :D

10. lisa horner says:

We had a little girl with DS on August 5th of this year. She just had her heart surgery on November 16th. She still has more than minimal leakage from her left valve, and still has a G-tube, but otherwise is doing great! I would love a copy of the book; it sounds very interesting! Love your blog; it always makes me smile!

Emailed you, Lisa! :)

12. Holly says:

If you still have copies, I’d love one. :)  I don’t know why I *deserve* one, but I love to read about the things/works of God, and challenge myself.  And since reading so much of your blog, I think whatever you recommend, I want to read! :)

Holly, the answer is “yes!” Emailing you for your mailing info…

14. Cynde says:

I would love a copy of this book.  I have a friend whose son died in September and is still suffering greatly.  Looking for ways to encourage her.

Cynde, bless your heart. Emailing you for your info…